Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How Long Before Jazz clapping is enforced at Football grounds (PC gone mad (again?))

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Manchester University is located very close to a vibrant city centre along on a main road that is crowded at all times of day and is supposed to be the busiest bus route in Europe. If you have sensory issues to the extent that you can't cope with a few people giving a round of applause, then choosing to study there was possibly one of the shittest choices you could have made.

I bet that the members of the SU exec committee that voted this all have purple hair and will never get a proper job in their lives.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You obviously will have far greater knowledge than most of us on this subject so this is just an observation. In my son's primary school class they had an autistic lad who really struggled with the same type of situations.

So that he could be involved in school plays, assemblies, and lessons where there might be something he found hard to cope with, he wore ear protectors. If he still found it too much then a TA would take him out of the situation for a bit and talk to him about it.

It worked really well and the lad went from being quite separate from the rest of the class in the first few years to being just another kid by Y6. The other kids had all learnt to respect the fact that he was different in some ways but that he was just the same as them in most.

He's now gone to a normal secondary school and is doing fine there too.

Nobody had to stop acting normally to make him included is what I'm trying to say.

This. Dressing up as a cat to not upset my cat is not a solution. Student initiative committees however....left handed toilet rolls, anyone???

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Kind of ironic that a group of people who love to spread the clap, are now trying to ban it.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
My daughter is a student at Manchester Uni. Was speaking to her last night about this and she told me about a wonderful piece on the local news about it.

The reporter interviewed the SU officer who had imposed the ban. Her defence was that it’s unfair to deaf people, but had no answer when the reporter pointed out the negative impact it would have on blind people.

“That’s an interesting point you raise”

She tells me she hasn’t come across one student who doesn’t think it’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I think they've massively OVERTHOUGHT it, and ended up "solving" a problem that never even existed. Some of them have clearly got way too much time on their (jazz) hands.

That's it. Ok they want to be inclusive and not give offence or upset people, so as you say they've massively over-thought it and 'solved' a non-existent problem.

Ultimately they're not doing these 'sense-challenged' (or whatever the correct term is) people any favours. Better to expose them to some quiet, polite applause in a safe, controlled environment now, otherwise when they attend an event in the real world they will be absolutely traumatised.

Fair play to them for banning whooping and shrieking though! Leave that to the Americans.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

But Hannah, from Weymouth, Dorset, doesn't agree with a ban on clapping.

Instead she believes the students' union should be putting more effort into raising awareness of autistic people.

"This would not only educate everyone about what to do if someone like me has a meltdown, but also help autistic people feel more accepted.

"You can ban loud noise in one scenario but as soon as you're out of campus you could encounter a loud noise and therefore it's a bit pointless."

So someone who actually suffers in these situations still doesn't want anything banning, because it's stupid. No further evidence your honour.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So someone who actually suffers in these situations still doesn't want anything banning, because it's stupid. No further evidence your honour.

Well I am not going to argue with her as I have no real idea of what she has to cope with, but it might be nice if she could go to a student union event occasionally where the chances of her having a meltdown were reduced because she knew that there would be no clapping at all. Just because she is used to having to deal with this all the time should not prevent others from trying to provide a more sympathetic environment once in a while.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You obviously will have far greater knowledge than most of us on this subject so this is just an observation. In my son's primary school class they had an autistic lad who really struggled with the same type of situations.

So that he could be involved in school plays, assemblies, and lessons where there might be something he found hard to cope with, he wore ear protectors. If he still found it too much then a TA would take him out of the situation for a bit and talk to him about it.

It worked really well and the lad went from being quite separate from the rest of the class in the first few years to being just another kid by Y6. The other kids had all learnt to respect the fact that he was different in some ways but that he was just the same as them in most.

He's now gone to a normal secondary school and is doing fine there too.

Nobody had to stop acting normally to make him included is what I'm trying to say.

I am glad to hear it, especially that the other kids have developed some empathy towards him. It happened at the school my son was at too and many of the other parents said it was a privilege for their kids to have been schooled with my son. In many situations their behaviour did not change but in others it did, so they did modify their behaviour occasionally which I am sure is what has happened in your example too. That can only be a good thing.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
So, technically, they've got it wrong then? They're not actually doing an alternative to clapping, they're just describing clapping...

F*cks sake, why am I even thinking about this?! *slaps self on back of head*

Urrr, excuse me. Could you not? I think it'd be more appropriate if you waved your hand around the back of your head.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm generally prepared to be helpful to those less well off than me either mentally or physically. You're not. Each to his own.

No you're not, you're the classic "do gooder" (that's in old money, new money it's virtue signaller) - you think you're helping, but in your rush to to show everyone how thoughtful and inclusive you are you've given no thought as to whether this is actually a good idea or not. There's plenty of responses above which explain why it isn't.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No you're not, you're the classic "do gooder" (that's in old money, new money it's virtue signaller) - you think you're helping, but in your rush to to show everyone how thoughtful and inclusive you are you've given no thought as to whether this is actually a good idea or not. There's plenty of responses above which explain why it isn't.

I would be helping the student union officer who proposed the motion as he said it would help him in the limited field of union business in which it was proposed. Don’t let the truth get in the way of your modern internet desire to slag people off.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm generally prepared to be helpful to those less well off than me either mentally or physically. You're not. Each to his own.

Blimey, if you tried a bit harder you could be really sanctimonious. I don't know either of you personally but I'm prepared to bet that both of you are pretty much equal in your desire to be helpful to those less well off, either mentally or physically. Neither of you come over as tosspots (either here or on other threads). I think what GB has that you don't is an ability to spot a crap idea when he sees it, and less of a tendency to virtue-signal.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Blimey, if you tried a bit harder you could be really sanctimonious. I don't know either of you personally but I'm prepared to bet that both of you are pretty much equal in your desire to be helpful to those less well off, either mentally or physically. Neither of you come over as tosspots (either here or on other threads). I think what GB has that you don't is an ability to spot a crap idea when he sees it, and less of a tendency to virtue-signal.

That would be true if I hadn’t heard the Student Union officer speaking and been convinced by his argument (in this case)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That's a gross distortion of what I meant and I think you know it.

Let's take an example at random of a physically disabled person being helped on to a busy commuter train and thus holding it up. Should we tut? No. Should we accept this as a perfectly reasonable delay? Yes we should. Should we make space for the wheelchair in the designated spot without complaint? Of course we should. Should we ban staring out of the window of trains in case it made the disabled person feel uncomfortable? No we shouldn't. Should we retimetable the whole system to allow them to get on every morning without delaying the service? Again no.

By using a sledgehammer to crack a nut you are actually risking a backlash against the weaker. And by seeking to virtue signal without thinking it through you do the same.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here