Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a driving licence?

Do you have a driving licence

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And have you had it long? I keep hearing that youngsters are bothering with driving these days

Is it true? There seem to be a feck of a a lot more cars on the roads year on year!

Poll shows manual car which obviously includes an automatic.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Never bothered, neither me or the Mrs. Don't really need to in Brighton, especially not considering the cost.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I love driving and cars are a bit of a passion, I’d be absolutely gutted to lose my licence. Bit of a car anorak in truth and have had quite a few second hand sports cars.

Driving in the south is a pain in the arse, go to the continent though and it’s just a totally different experience.

I guess with the cost of learning to drive, buying, taxing and insuring a car these days, it could easily make sense to just use public transport/taxis or shanks pony if funds are tight and you haven’t any real desire to drive.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have a car and bike licence, but can't apply that :-(

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ah, I can ... sorry!

The cock up on the poll is the automatic car bit, as far as I know you get a licence to drive an automatic when you pass a test in a manual. I have known people who took their test in an automatic and I believe are only permitted to drive an automatic. Maybe things have changed.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Bike and car. 1962 and 1963 still riding, still driving.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Car licence (clean) 50 years and 6 months (plus motorbike for 21years). Did have an HGV in the 80s but it lapsed and I couldn't afford at the time to renew it (and wasn't using it anyway, as I'd found other work by then).

Yes, I think quite a few young people don't drive these days - because of the cost, or maybe for 'Green' reasons. Worryingly though, I fear a considerable number of young people are taking to the roads without a licence - the cost of insurance is now so ridiculously high for young people (especially young men) that they're doing the maths and coming up with the answer that even though there is a risk of fines, if they get away with it for two or three years, that's still cheaper than paying for the insurance.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm 33 and haven't learnt yet. I've had no need to really. Don't need to drive for work and I've lived in Worthing / Brighton all my life where nothing is out of walking distance.

Having said that I want a family at some point and being unable to drive is going to present some, ahem, roadblocks for days out and whatnot.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not really sure how to fill in the poll. My licence appears to cover all cars, motorcycles and HGVs. Not allowed near a bus though.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Nearly 41 and never driven. I will be learning within the next year or so just to make things a little easier and so we can move a bit further out of town.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I learned ten years ago in my late 30s. I'd always lived in the centre of Brighton and then moved to Sydney (excellent public transport), Tokyo (brilliant public transport, dreadful traffic) and Taipei (only the most lunatic of crazy adrenaline sports junkies would even attempt to drive there as a Westerner. You'd die in days). So I'd never needed to. I learned when we had kids and passed second time.

However, I don't think I've actually driven for about two years, maybe more. I walk the school run, get public transport to the office and use buses / trains everywhere else too. We have one car which Mrs GB drives everywhere and hogs on the weekend and I'm now at the point where I've totally lost my confidence and given up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here