Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
First highlight - Reiterating his stance that Rodriguez made a racist comment, a pretty direct criticism.
Second highlight - Rodriguez's statement which he was forced into making after Bong posted a tweet minutes after the tribunal's verdict was made public which also continued to state, unequivocally, that he did not mishear and Rodriguez made racists remarks, whilst also misrepresenting Rodriguez's apology as him accepting he made a racist remark. Had Bong not made this statement chances are JR would have maintained the respectful minimum comment that he had done throughout the whole process, unlike Bong who went on international TV to state Rodriguez was racist (whilst simultaneously contradicting his statement in immediate aftermath of the incident, as highlighted in the tribunal's report).

Next.

Drop this nonsense about who tweeted what first I will tell who started this whole affair some complete idiot called JR who thought it was a good idea to go up to a black man and tell him he stinks in a professional football match.

This appears to be the kind of action supported by you and other Burnley fans on here who are blind to his actions and defend him to the hilt joined by a mob of fans who call GB a liar and boo him at a football match

About time you logged off and crawled back under whatever rock you have been hiding under whilst the rest of the footballing community looks rightly down and condemns the actions of a section of your fan base

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I made my position pretty clear in my first post on the topicThe suggestion that Burnley fans booed him for "having the temerity to report" a racial slur has originated with Brighton fans. .

mmm...

Outside of Brighton and Burnley fans, how do you think Saturday is being interpreted ?

And can you point us the to "malicious" response from BHA, because I'm not aware there has been a statement.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
mmm...

Outside of Brighton and Burnley fans, how do you think Saturday is being interpreted ?

And can you point us the to "malicious" response from BHA, because I'm not aware there has been a statement.

There is a lot of whataboutery going on here. The comments about Bong and due process (ha yep) are a smoke screen to justify the pre planned attempt to wind him up. Both rodriguez and bong made comments in the days after the incident (as did many wba colleagues). Immediately after the hearing rodriguez and wba deliberately misrepresented the findings of the hearing to wit the club issued a statement on Bongs behalf.

If indeed claretmat and his many fellow fans were using this as the reason to boo bong then they should be booing rodriguez too.

This is an explanation (and not based on fact) to cover up the real reason behind the incident

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I made my position pretty clear in my first post on the topic, as I said I can't speak for everyone but that was also the thinking of those around me that I discussed it with, it's also consistent with the stance being stated by most of the representatives of Burnley fans (ie. Scholes, Boden etc.) for the reasoning behind the booing.

The suggestion that Burnley fans booed him for "having the temerity to report" a racial slur has originated with Brighton fans. As has a completely untrue and so far uncorroborated accusation of monkey chants. It's ultimately backfired and wasn't worth it but this is due in part to the disproportionate and (in the case of the monkey chanting allegation) downright malicious response by both BHA and their fans. It's also due in part to a minority of moronic Burnley fans who continue to suggest GB lied and have wet the bed themselves and proceeded to make racist and/or homophobic comments which are wrong and cannot be justified in any circumstances.

If that was really the thinking and knowing what you now know (which is the rationale is not as you had believed) would you and those fans still boo?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Keep on digging pal. Anyone who actually watches the footage can see Rodriguez holding his nose and disguising his lip movement as he comments to Bong. The question most normal, level headed people will be asking is what was he hiding, and why. Why indeed. And why apologise if he is 'exonerated'?
I am astonished how many of you can't imagine why anyone would hold their nose while telling someone that they smell. Have you never been in a school playground?

As for apologising, as I understand it he apologised for being rude. Didn't Bong say that Rodriguez has apologised - not that he has apologised for making racist remarks?

Anyway, back to the monkey chants. Has anyone looked at the pictures yet? Anyone been charged? Presumably the two people on TalkSport have been interviewed - either by BHA or the police or the press.

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
Keep on digging pal. Anyone who actually watches the footage can see Rodriguez holding his nose and disguising his lip movement as he comments to Bong. The question most normal, level headed people will be asking is what was he hiding, and why. Why indeed. And why apologise if he is 'exonerated'? Sorry but you lot now look like the kid with chocolate round his mouth stamping his foot and insisting he didn't eat the cake. This won't go away easily, and Burnley Football club looks like a disgrace in the light of its deafening silence regarding the fans behaviour. The world is now watching, and you have only yourselves to blame. Good luck with justifying 90 mins of booing a black player over a race incident.

The tribunal report (and common sense) doesn't suggest the holding his nose was anything other than part of a (admittedly childish) gesture to suggest GB's breath smelled*. In fact GB had no issue with the gesture until he changed his statement whilst on TV**. The only people suggesting this action was a deliberate attempt to hide what was said from the cameras are Brighton fans. The report quite rightly highlights the unlikely nature of the phrasing of the alleged insult***.

Brighton fans are happy to quote the report as gospel for the statement that GB's actions were not malicious yet are happy to contradict (or are just plain ignorant of) the statements which are similarly strong in favour of JR.

The inconsistency and logical likelihood of the insult suggest to me that GB misheard the statement in the heat of the moment, I don't for a second suggest that he maliciously created the accusation. Whereas you, and a number of Brighton fans, are happy to brand a man racist without any evidence. As such I'd suggest you're the one who is "digging".

* "We are satisfied the Player did not deliberately cover his mouth. His hand did obscure his mouth but that was part and parcel of, and incidental to, the action of pinching his nose."

** "We noted a further inconsistency between GB’s evidence to us and parts of an interview on SFR Sport. He told us “I don't know what the mean the gesture [sic], I'm not looking for the gesture” and “…it's not even like the gesture, it's the words”. However, during the SFR interview he said “he did that because of the colour of my skin. Everybody can see this gesture, and I asked him to repeat what he said” and “...I signalled the gesture to the referee. This specific gesture to accentuate his comments…this gesture must be banned.....”

*** "We also agree that the alleged insult is somewhat unusual: “you’re black, you stink” or “you’re black and you smell”. We agree that one might more generally expect the word black to be followed by a noun, probably an offensive one"

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
It's ridiculous to suggest you can apply a standard from a normal workplace to that of a football pitch. If you pushed a counterpart from a rival company at a meeting that'd result in a disciplinary. If you mouthed off at an official from a regulatory body who highlighted an error of yours that'd result in a disciplinary etc.

I made my stance pretty clear in my first post on the issue. I didn't boo Bong because he made a complaint, I booed because outside of the correct process he made statements that could have been potentially prejudicial, could not be proven and if made during the course of a criminal trial would likely have resulted in the collapse of the case. He then continued to make the statements after the tribunal did not rule in his favour.

RE: Exoneration. Unless the charge/sanctions have been suspended or the accusation is still being investigated then for all intents and purposes he has been exonerated. At the very least saying he has been exonerated is a close to the ruling of the tribunal/content of the report as Bong's repeated statements in the aftermath. So if you suggest that Rodriguez is wrong to make such comments then you must also accept that Bong is wrong to make his. IMO they should have both kept it to a minimum but it was Bong who prompted the post-tribunal exchange and that cannot be denied.

So would you boo rodriguez, wba, wba players etc, former managers, who all made statements immediately after the incident and also misrepresented the findings of the fa hearing?

You seem so keen on due process that you would need to treat all the same?

You of course do know about the comments made by all the others? If you knew before saturday yoir position was knowingly wrong. If you only know now, has your position changed?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
How on earth can you tell the difference between a boo and a monkey chant from a picture
Modern cameras show moving pictures with recorded sound. The alleged monkey chants were allegedly clearly heard among the boos by a couple of BHA fans from at bare minimum twenty yards away, so they must have been either very loud and clear, or else accompanied by arm movements.

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
mmm...

Outside of Burnley and Brighton I haven't seen anyone discussing the issue. I'm on a number of football related forums and no one else is talking about it. I don't watch SSN so haven't seen how it's been reported there. The national football news feeds I follow have made no mention of it either, it's only via the Burnley specific feeds I have been aware of the fallout. I heard Motson's comment on MOTD. Where I've had articles/opinion pieces pointed out to me they've snatched on the narrative of it being because Burnley fans think GB lied or to shame him for reporting the initial incident, a narrative set by Hughton in his comments after the game.

I'd suggest reporting and then publicising, quite obviously, fabricated claims of monkey chants to be quite malicious. Hughton's comments branding the booing "shameless" and setting the narrative for the booing as the majority of Burnley fans suggesting that Bong lied, which is not the case, is also, IMO, a malicious act.

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
So would you boo rodriguez, wba, wba players etc, former managers, who all made statements immediately after the incident and also misrepresented the findings of the fa hearing?

You seem so keen on due process that you would need to treat all the same?

You of course do know about the comments made by all the others? If you knew before saturday yoir position was knowingly wrong. If you only know now, has your position changed?

I must have missed the TV interview Rodriguez made whilst the investigation was ongoing...

He refuted the allegation and said he/they would be contesting it, with the absolute minimum of comment, as is within what would be expected during such a process. GB went on TV to reiterate (and contradict) his accusation, which clearly isn't.

If you can't see the difference between the two then there's really no point engaging with you.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I'd suggest reporting and then publicising, quite obviously, fabricated claims of monkey chants to be quite malicious. Hughton's comments branding the booing "shameless" and setting the narrative for the booing as the majority of Burnley fans suggesting that Bong lied, which is not the case, is also, IMO, a malicious act.

What about your lot's completely made up allegation that they could hear 'town full of pakis' from the Brighton end?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Outside of Burnley and Brighton I haven't seen anyone discussing the issue. I'm on a number of football related forums and no one else is talking about it. I don't watch SSN so haven't seen how it's been reported there. The national football news feeds I follow have made no mention of it either, it's only via the Burnley specific feeds I have been aware of the fallout. I heard Motson's comment on MOTD. Where I've had articles/opinion pieces pointed out to me they've snatched on the narrative of it being because Burnley fans think GB lied or to shame him for reporting the initial incident, a narrative set by Hughton in his comments after the game.

Balls to put it politely

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I must have missed the TV interview Rodriguez made whilst the investigation was ongoing...

He refuted the allegation and said he/they would be contesting it, with the absolute minimum of comment, as is within what would be expected during such a process. GB went on TV to reiterate (and contradict) his accusation, which clearly isn't.

If you can't see the difference between the two then there's really no point engaging with you.

May i suggest you pop (again politely) to your own board...or can't you because you've been banned there?

Last edited:

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
If that was really the thinking and knowing what you now know (which is the rationale is not as you had believed) would you and those fans still boo?

Probably not on the same scale, I didn't anticipate such a response from BHA. By the end of the game we'd all moved on to booing Murray anyway, that is in the area where I stand.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
dsr-burnley;8439860[B said:
]Modern cameras show moving pictures with recorded sound.[/B] The alleged monkey chants were allegedly clearly heard among the boos by a couple of BHA fans from at bare minimum twenty yards away, so they must have been either very loud and clear, or else accompanied by arm movements.

so not a picture but a video then

ClaretMatt

Nov 19, 2015
What about your lot's completely made up allegation that they could hear 'town full of pakis' from the Brighton end?

Has that been reported / have Burnley launched an investigation, publicised they have done so or contacted the police?

That would be a no. So, again, if you can't see the difference between the two then there's little point engaging with you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Clear and Present trolling now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Outside of Burnley and Brighton I haven't seen anyone discussing the issue.

I'll give you a hint as to which way the wind is blowing nationally.

Chris Hughton (admittedly BHA manager but probably one of the most universally-respected English coaches in the game, no one ever has a bad word to say about the man) strongly condemned the Burnley fans
The FA condemned the Burnley fans
Kick It Out condemned the Burnley fans
Sky Sports also reported it in a negative manner concerning the Burnley fans.

Toughie, innit?

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Brighton fans are happy to quote the report as gospel for the statement that GB's actions were not malicious yet are happy to contradict (or are just plain ignorant of) the statements which are similarly strong in favour of JR.
]

we weren't the ones booing JR*. You were booing GB. So the events on Saturday are totally about what you think of GB, and your taking the report out of context, and nothing to do with what we think of JR or how we take the report.

*We probably will now

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here