Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, what were your expectations

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I believe I predicted 7th.

I did convince myself though, that should we scrape into the play-offs, the pressure would be off, and we might just win them.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Was hoping play-offs, with a change of luck and actually getting that trip to Wembley :cheers:

Slightly disappointed that's not happened! :wink: :kiss: :bhasign: :tantrum:

(Although of course, that's now a possiblity with Spurs away :thumbsup:)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If we kept our players (check) and got a new striker (check) and strengthen the back four (check) I thought we'd make the top 2. I didn't expect us to be this consistent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I knew we'd be up there but expected another season of playoff disappointment TBH. I simply didn't expect Norwich to be as bad as they have been (I did expect Villa to fail though). Didn't see Hudderfield or Reading coming at all either, thought playoffs probably would have been us, the massive, Derby and one other.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
I think I said that if we kept our best players (which we did) then we would be favourites to go up

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Play offs pushing for top 2
This is what I had hoped for. Top 3 or 4 with always a shout to challenge the top 2 who I thought would be Newcastle and Norwich. With Derby and SWed in the mix. I remember when we bought Duffy I thought why him? and gradually came to the conclusion we could be top 2 and stay there from middle/end of September.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Looking at the table once all relegation/promotion issues had been decided from all leagues I genuinely expected 6-10th as our most likely finishing spot.

When Murray joined and started firing on all cylinders I grew more confident of a play off place but that was about it.

In Tony's words we strengthened from a position of strength but I never expected this. It's truly magical and once the furore of the season is lost in the midsts of time we'll look back at the final table and remember the legends of 2016/17 as possibly the best Albion team of all time.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Play offs, no further.
After Sheff Weds away, I revised it to possible last day autos, after Sheff Weds home, I revised it to promoted without a doubt... we proved we had both the mettle and the class.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Surely there was a poll thread - but I can't find it.

There was a thread bounced the other day with a poll about how many points we'd get. I voted more than 89. Thought Newcastle would walk it and we'd get second. Mentioned on here loads of times that Villa were a basket case and would be more likely to go down than up. But no, I didn't have a bet. #aftertimer

Jan 30, 2008
turning on Radio Sussex with Cantor/ Aspinall flapping their gums with aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalbion , aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalbion in the back ground :amex:
regards
DR

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I was hoping for the best but thought it would be tough to be top 3 again with the teams coming down and Derby etc looking potentially strong.

I can't say I was hoping for the play-offs - I was dreading the thought of them again and would have given serious consideration to leaving the country for the week of the semi finals so that I could pretend they weren't happening.

I was expecting, at the very least, an interesting season. Ideally, I was hoping for an exciting season.

What I wasn't expecting was for the promotion race to be over, with three matches still to play. I've paid for a season ticket for 23 home games. I didn't expect that the result of match 23 wouldn't matter. But that is exactly what will be the case if we win tonight. I demand something more interesting or exciting than that. Barber OUT!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can't say I was hoping for the play-offs - I was dreading the thought of them again and would have given serious consideration to leaving the country for the week of the semi finals so that I could pretend they weren't happening.

I did that in 2016 and 2014, left the country, for the first legs anyway, I can assure you they did happen. You can run but you can't hide :wink:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
After the end of the window knowing we had kept Dale...

If he buckled down and got it together top 6, if he didn't top 10. Never in my wildest dreams did I see us winning the league, Villa and Norwich both being so poor, the emergence of Huddersfield or Reading.

But that is why this league is so good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here