Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foo Fighters to play Brighton

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
Couple of mine. There were people filming the whole thing through their phones though, which was chuffing annoying.

10665758_10152250714777245_4678542181042299181_n.jpg

10678790_10152250714862245_2382399019554506765_n.jpg

Not as annoying as the coked-up cretins I was next to at the start of the gig who just kept shouting "hello Dave" every 10 seconds, whilst kicking and punching everyone around them.

You must have been right next to me at the gig!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was in Brighton anyway and often go for a seaside stroll with the missus after a meal. Wouldn't go down specially, but it was interesting to see.

I ALMOST like the Foo Fighters. I want to like them. I feel like they want to be a LOT heavier than they are, and they can never be heavy, thanks to their cheesy bass player who is as rock and roll as my cat, Pushkin. Queens of the Stoneage is their cooler, better older brother.
They were bloody heavy back in the day but their last few albums have been cheesey as ****. Fortunately they played a lot of old stuff and I've never seen that much crowd surfing at the Conky!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like a few of their songs. Though I remember when they announced Brighton last time and (I was car-sharing so was forced to listen) had to endure Chris Moyles incessantly banging on about them in the most Moylesish way possible. Christ that annoyed me.

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
I was in Brighton anyway and often go for a seaside stroll with the missus after a meal. Wouldn't go down specially, but it was interesting to see.

I ALMOST like the Foo Fighters. I want to like them. I feel like they want to be a LOT heavier than they are, and they can never be heavy, thanks to their cheesy bass player who is as rock and roll as my cat, Pushkin. Queens of the Stoneage is their cooler, better older brother.

I wouldn't say QOTSA are better tbh. Both aren't really heavy either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They were bloody heavy back in the day but their last few albums have been cheesey as ****. Fortunately they played a lot of old stuff and I've never seen that much crowd surfing at the Conky!

I don't think they were. Because of the bass player it never sounds heavy enough to my ears, as he doesn't use a plectrum. It might be a bass player thing (I'm a bass player).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Queens are definitely heavier, listen back to some of their older stuff. And I prefer 'em, think they have a huge amount more to them but game of opinions innit?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They have some catchy tunes but it's just loud pop innit. Dave Ghrol seems like a nice chap.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can call pretty much ANYTHING pop, if you want to.

I do sort of agree with him though. I think Dave Grohl is battling between the side of him that plays very heavy stuff with pretty much all side projects to Foos, and his want/need to be commercial and radio-friendly. Foos could play at 400 dbls and still not be heavy rock.

And the bass player. Look at him.

1184805522_8165e4ded0.jpg

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I do sort of agree with him though. I think Dave Grohl is battling between the side of him that plays very heavy stuff with pretty much all side projects to Foos, and his want/need to be commercial and radio-friendly. Foos could play at 400 dbls and still not be heavy rock.

And the bass player. Look at him.

1184805522_8165e4ded0.jpg

Actually with the exception of Grohl and Hawkins, THe Foos don't look very rock and roll at all but then the same could be said for Josh Homme despite being one of the coolest people in rock and the coolest Ginger bloke ever.

Grohls background is in the old hardcore scene so he is always drawn back to that to a certain degree and whilst he clearly loves heavy hard rock (eg Probot) I think he also loves the more poppy sound the foos produce just as much. At the end of the day he is making music he loves with his mates, it just so happens millions of people love what they do. How can you not love producing rock anthems that you can have 100,000 people sing back at you.

He did manage to sneak White Limo into the last album that was otherwise very radio friendly and I am expecting he may have done similar on the new album.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
At the end of the day he is making music he loves with his mates, it just so happens millions of people love what they do. How can you not love producing rock anthems that you can have 100,000 people sing back at you.

This with big ****ing BELLS on it.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder

Would love to have been there last night.
Saw Machine Head in there a few weeks ago. Clearly nowhere near as big as the Foo Fighters , but plenty big enough for a venue that size. The mosh pit and occasional circle pits took up half the space of the venue , almost creating a breakaway mosh pit in the toilets. No crowd surfing though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Would love to have been there last night.
Saw Machine Head in there a few weeks ago. Clearly nowhere near as big as the Foo Fighters , but plenty big enough for a venue that size. The mosh pit and occasional circle pits took up half the space of the venue , almost creating a breakaway mosh pit in the toilets. No crowd surfing though.
Ha, I've not seen a circle mosh since NOFX at Reading 2002!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Saw Soulfly twice at C2. Whole venue was a spinning mosh pit. Got a bit much actually.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Ha, I've not seen a circle mosh since NOFX at Reading 2002!

Machine Head pride themselves in holding the circle pit record at festivals. 7 circle pits during a single song at Download 2007 and 10 at Download 2012.
Depending on the weather the audience are either blinded with plumes of dust eminating from the various circle pits if it's been sunny , or splattered from head to toe with mud , if it's raining .

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I guess it depends on your definition of 'heavy'. You can take two Queens songs and one will be heavier than the other...but then you can compare both those bands to heavier styles and they'll be lightweight in comparison. Homme has stated before that he's about repetitive riffs that drive the song, in an almost robotic way. Foos were heavier to begin with (but then Grohl played everything on their first album, so thats probably a reason). It's also down to each band members style - as people have mentioned, Nate Mendell came from Sunny Day Real Estate, which a) are awesome (Diary is a superb album) and b) but really that heavy.

Even though they don't come across as really heavy, The Foos are able to really kick it up a bit when playing live. My own experience is at Wembley in 200...8 I think it was. A night of heavy music and pouring rain (not to mention Led Zep) was a life-defining evening.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here