Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate and the England job

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He is at risk of becoming the next Coleman here, massively over rated on one tournament when we can only judge him after two or three.

I dont think he is anywhere near as arrogant as Coleman to believe the hype thankfully.

A win tonight and I can easily make a case for Southgate learning a lesson from Ranieri, and actually walking away at the top.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm glad I didn't post on this thread two years ago because I was then totally underwhelmed by the Southgate appointment. Regardless of what happens tonight he's already proved me wrong and I have total respect for him.

That said, it can't have been much more than 3 months ago that such was the apathy England were playing friendlies and nobody on NSC could even be bothered starting a thread until the game had almost kicked off.

He's just got a whole series of decisions right but the general theme has been to eliminate the circus from the England camp, i.e:

1. Leaving out Rooney the superstar
2. Binning the injury prone - Wilshere, Sturridge, Lallana.
3. Binning perennial under-performers like Hart, Smalling, Walcott.
4. Giving youth a chance - Maguire instead of Cahill.
5. Making Harry Kane captain - a modest, grounded, likeable, driven and universally respected individual.
6. Making the players accessible to the media.
7. Managing the hangers on and WAGS to the extent you wouldn't know they were there (if indeed they are).

Absolutely bang on the money. All of these things have contributed to eliminating the circus and making the national team one we actually want to get behind. Most of us would feel like giving these guys a heroes welcome whatever happens from here on in, simply for giving us back our pride in the national side.

England have finally found a formula that ought to guarantee the nation is right behind the team, even if it doesn't guarantee success on the pitch.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Speech by the groom at a wedding recently.

I got married the day before the Euro 96 final. Sadly we'd been knocked out the week before but football was a bit of a thing at the time. I contrived some sort of way to give my new wife a present, which turned out to be an elaborately wrapped football. By the end of the night there was a small kickabout happening on the dancefloor while Three Lions played.

Happy memories. For me. Not sure about Mrs H but she's stuck around, bless her.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In 5 days time all of this will be over and what Gareth Southgate has done is to leave the FA with a blueprint of how to take an England team to a major tournament and manage them so they have a chance of winning the competition.

He has rewritten the rule book and all of the mistakes of the past have been eliminated.

Make no mistake - this is a spirited but, ultimately, limited England side. Half of them crashed out to Iceland two years ago. I typing this now and I can't believe Southgate has got that bunch this far with absolutely no f*ck-ups along the way.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A win tonight and I can easily make a case for Southgate learning a lesson from Ranieri, and actually walking away at the top.

Hasn't he said at the start this team will get better and was originally looked at the Euros in two years time to peak, so I cant see him going anywhere for at least another two years, whatever happens in the next two games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hasn't he said at the start this team will get better and was originally looked at the Euros in two years time to peak, so I cant see him going anywhere for at least another two years, whatever happens in the next two games.
Oh no neither do I, but that doesn't mean I don't think he shouldn't consider it while at the top and untainted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's just got a whole series of decisions right but the general theme has been to eliminate the circus from the England camp, i.e:

1. Leaving out Rooney the superstar
2. Binning the injury prone - Wilshere, Sturridge, Lallana.
3. Binning perennial under-performers like Hart, Smalling, Walcott.
4. Giving youth a chance - Maguire instead of Cahill.
5. Making Harry Kane captain - a modest, grounded, likeable, driven and universally respected individual.
6. Making the players accessible to the media.
7. Managing the hangers on and WAGS to the extent you wouldn't know they were there (if indeed they are).

Agree, and I think it goes a lot deeper too, I think Gareth has a vision not just of the England team, but of the entire international setup and how it works from top to bottom.

Brilliant quote in the Times on Sunday I thought: [for Garth Southgate's England] "Team is not just the most important thing, it is the only thing"

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oh no neither do I, but that doesn't mean I don't think he shouldn't consider it while at the top and untainted.

Being the current WC and Euro winning manager would be the very top. Ranieri wouldn't have left after the premier league win as he had the champions league to win but he was never going to win that with Leicester whereas Southgate will have a great chance at winning the Euros

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I bet hardly anyone can name all the teams we beat in 1966. Getting where you get is the only stat remembered.

Makes no odds. In the semi final and anything can happen

Well I can: :)

Group
0-0 against Uruguay (aka 'the scoreless shocker')
2-0 Mexico
2-0 France

Quarter final (only 16 teams so no 2nd round match)
Argentina 1-0 (Hurst)

Semi final
Portugal 2-1 (Two Charlton goals. Their's was a penalty by Eusebio after Jack Charlton had deliberately handled Eusebio's goalbound effort)

I was 9 and I remember it vividly. But yeah, your point is probably valid for the youngsters. Even Alan Shearer said he didn't know! (As an aside I wonder how many of the younger Albion fans can name all the teams we beat on the way to Wembley in 1983?)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well I can: :)

Group
0-0 against Uruguay (aka 'the scoreless shocker')
2-0 Mexico
2-0 France

Quarter final (only 16 teams so no 2nd round match)
Argentina 1-0 (Hurst)

Semi final
Portugal 2-1 (Two Charlton goals. Their's was a penalty by Eusebio after Jack Charlton had deliberately handled Eusebio's goalbound effort)

I was 9 and I remember it vividly. But yeah, your point is probably valid for the youngsters. Even Alan Shearer said he didn't know! (As an aside I wonder how many of the younger Albion fans can name all the teams we beat on the way to Wembley in 1983?)

I knew Mexico, and Portugal through my Dad showing me Bobby Charlton's goals ad infinitum. The goal against Mexico would have gone through the Wembley terrace had the back stanchion not stopped it...I wasn't born, but he always said the semi final Charlton was simply unstoppable (his other goal not included in the clip below unfortunately).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah, win or lose tonight my attitude has definitely changed and I now see the benefits of having a manager that has gone through the ranks and brought the players on from more junior levels. I think my disillusionment was with the old duffer Hodgson that had not only stagnated but taken us back when we thought we could go back no further, followed up by a dinosaur of a manager that liked taking bungs and an inept FA that didn't seem to have any idea where they were going. I'd washed my hands of it by then, and didn't think GS would be mug enough to get embroiled in another disaster. He's taken us a long way in two short years, but there is also the long term plan, keeping him in the job and us continously improving, as the Germans sort to do, and succeeded in the first part of the new century. I'm back on the bus with GS.

Brilliant post. Well done lads.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I never rated him. The World Cup is a pointless waste of time anyway. And I've always said that.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Yeah, win or lose tonight my attitude has definitely changed and I now see the benefits of having a manager that has gone through the ranks and brought the players on from more junior levels. I think my disillusionment was with the old duffer Hodgson that had not only stagnated but taken us back when we thought we could go back no further, followed up by a dinosaur of a manager that liked taking bungs and an inept FA that didn't seem to have any idea where they were going. I'd washed my hands of it by then, and didn't think GS would be mug enough to get embroiled in another disaster. He's taken us a long way in two short years, but there is also the long term plan, keeping him in the job and us continously improving, as the Germans sort to do, and succeeded in the first part of the new century. I'm back on the bus with GS.

Bit too soon for me, but understand sentiments. In all honesty maybe tomorrow, but for the mo can't get past tonight. :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here