Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apple 0 - 1 Taylor Swift.

sad thing is that though she's standing up for the indies, in the long run it doesn help them at all. sale of track on itunes receive 50p, steam revenue 0.00005p a play.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apple 0 - 1 Taylor Swift.

sad thing is that though she's standing up for the indies, in the long run it doesn help them at all. sale of track on itunes receive 50p, steam revenue 0.00005p a play.

This is a real conundrum. Music is heading towards streaming whether we like it or not. We can't stop it so I'm not sure what the answer is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i realise the shift to streaming will occur anyway, the trouble is that Apple streaming in particular will cannibalise the itunes market. and at £15 for a family, only Apple are going to make any money from it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i realise the shift to streaming will occur anyway, the trouble is that Apple streaming in particular will cannibalise the itunes market. and at £15 for a family, only Apple are going to make any money from it.

Digital sales are nose-diving due to streaming though, and Apple know this. So I don't think it will cannibalise their own digital sales as their own digital sales are disappearing regardless.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/itunes-music-sales-down-more-than-13-this-year-1414166672

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone listen to launch of Beats 1?
I missed Zane Lowe and can't work out if you can download it

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So I have downloaded the latest version of iOS.

It's telling me I have 3 months free, but when you accept it it tells you something about £9.99 a month.....do you have to pay up front, or is it like Amazon prime where you can pay nowt for a month and then cancel at the end of the month?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So I have downloaded the latest version of iOS.

It's telling me I have 3 months free, but when you accept it it tells you something about £9.99 a month.....do you have to pay up front, or is it like Amazon prime where you can pay nowt for a month and then cancel at the end of the month?

The first 3 months are free, but you are committing to pay £9.99 a month (or £14.99 a month for a family) if you don't cancel before the end of the free period.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The first 3 months are free, but you are committing to pay £9.99 a month (or £14.99 a month for a family) if you don't cancel before the end of the free period.

Ok thanks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Forgive my naive question, but, does streaming music not absolutely pillage your data if using 3G/4G?

It can use a fair bit so you'd need to be careful if you don't have unlimited data (such as most three plans offer, for example).

You can download music to listen offline, so do that when in WiFi territory for listening when away .

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
iPhone is currently updating as we speak, and iPad will follow suit when that is done..... Is this as good as I'm hoping it will be?!?! I'm paying spotify a tenner a month, will this be better value?!?!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
iPhone is currently updating as we speak, and iPad will follow suit when that is done..... Is this as good as I'm hoping it will be?!?! I'm paying spotify a tenner a month, will this be better value?!?!

General consensus by various commentators is that it's good, but UI needs refining, lots of gaps in music. Quality is 256kbps compared to Spotify at 320kbps.

Personally I find it ok so far, especially as music videos are included in the sub. Still keeping Spotify in parallel whilst Apples free trial is on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've been using Google Music for a while having never tried streaming before that and - being an old git - am pretty astonished at what you get for £10 a month, especially the ability to download music for offline listening. And being on Three is a huge benefit for the unlimited data, which means I can use it anywhere. I'll probably give Apple a go as it'll cost nada for a while but does it really offer anything exceptional? Would be interested to know.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I updated my phone and signed up last night, did the likes of genre and artists last night and had a listen to a few suggested tracks. Will give it a good play over the next few days and see how well it works. Will be interesting to see if I can download for offline listening and sync those tracks to my iPod Classic for when I'm driving as I can plug it in to the aux input on the stereo stick it on shuffle and off I go.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Until support is added to Sonos it is of limited use to me. I'll be saving my free trial for when Sonos support is added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here