Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cody McDonald?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The likes of Derby and Notts Forest finished in the mix last year. It's much easier to sell that prospect to a player than a side that narrowly avoided a relegation battle. We have plenty of good things going for us in terms of attracting players but are we likely to challenge for promotion? Unlikely.

Yes, and we created this problem for ourselves. The ONLY way to turn it around is to make an early signing that shows intent, and that is not Cody McDonald.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
According to soccerbase he made 19 starts and was a sub 19 times but no mention of how many times he actually came on as a sub. Now 34 years old and in the last year of his contract. so always a loan possibility as I cannot see him figuring much for them this season.

really...60k a week Peter Crouch... you have been smoking something my friend, absolutely no chance

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's not get too stressed about how poor McDonald may be until he actually signs.

Not convinced myself that he is a target.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
McDonald is nothing more than a flattering to deceive two-bob journeyman who yoyos betweens Leagues 1 and 2.

Laughable that we'd even be linked to him.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
According to soccerbase he made 19 starts and was a sub 19 times but no mention of how many times he actually came on as a sub. Now 34 years old and in the last year of his contract. so always a loan possibility as I cannot see him figuring much for them this season.
I'm assuming that those 38 appearances included cup matches? If not, that means he played in every single league game last season.

I'd find it hard to believe that they'd let someone go who clearly fills some sort of gap for them, even more unlikely when you consider the wages he's probably on.

I know Bridge was on silly money but City had the financial clout to pay the vast majority of it when he was with us, I can't see Stoke doing something similar somehow.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
On the face of it he is the sort of player a mid table League 1 side might be interested in, but only if they were seeking to consolidate their league standing rather than push for promotion!!! But even then, if I was a fan of said club, I would be questioning their ambition.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Let's not get too stressed about how poor McDonald may be until he actually signs.

Not convinced myself that he is a target.

In fairness, we need to write them off before they sign otherwise there may be a danger of some positivity being generated.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In fairness, we need to write them off before they sign otherwise there may be a danger of some positivity being generated.

In fairness, if you are positive about this potential signing, you need to get your head sorted.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Reports from the Gills end claim it would take a bid of over £500k to secure his services and we're not the only club who have expressed an interest.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We haven't made a bid apparently...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/no-bid-for-cody-says-38735/

Which says:

Justin Edinburgh admits he’s unaware of any bids for star striker Cody McDonald.

Internet rumours last week suggested Championship side Brighton had tabled an offer for the front-man.

McDonald only signed a new two-year deal with the Gills in March and it would take a big bid for the club to relinquish one of their star assets.

Reacting to the rumours, Gills boss Edinburgh said: “We honestly haven’t heard anything.

“But that wouldn’t surprise me. I’m made it clear that (getting him on a new contract) was the first thing we needed to do when I walked through the door, to make sure we secured Cody.

“We haven’t heard anything and we wouldn’t want to hear anything. If it did happen it wouldn’t surprise me but hopefully it won’t.”

McDonald finished last season with 18 goals, taking his tally for the Gills to 64 in 147 games.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Very highly rated by the one Gillingham supporter I know, the fact that he was pissed off when I suggested we were interested said a lot. If we can get him cheaply (unlikely according to my friend) he could be worth a punt.

As for what Edinbrough said about no contact, I wouldn't take too much notice of that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Very highly rated by the one Gillingham supporter I know, the fact that he was pissed off when I suggested we were interested said a lot. If we can get him cheaply (unlikely according to my friend) he could be worth a punt.

think this one is another dead duck mate.
I live in hopes that there is lots going on in the background .............................but I won't be holding my breath

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
think this one is another dead duck mate.
I live in hopes that there is lots going on in the background .............................but I won't be holding my breath
Remember that season when Barry Lloyd rebuilt the team over the summer....Nelson, Bremner, Wood, Curbishley, Dublin, Chivers, Rougvie, Keeley.....how we could do with Hughton doing something similar this year.

It is possible that he still might. Keep the faith old friend!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Remember that season when Barry Lloyd rebuilt the team over the summer....Nelson, Bremner, Wood, Curbishley, Dublin, Chivers, Rougvie, Keeley.....how we could do with Hughton doing something similar this year.

It is possible that he still might. Keep the faith old friend!

we can but hope ......and a few players of that standard will do very nicely

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

As for what Edinbrough said about no contact, I wouldn't take too much notice of that.

The nickname given to him by the Cov fans when he was there was 'Cody McDogshit'.
They couldn't wait to get rid.
If a player looks crap when playing in a crap Cov City team ... then is he really the answer for us?

The reason he plays well for Gillingham is because he's found his level.
He's a good L2 player at best ... he is not good enough for Championship level.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
The nickname given to him by the Cov fans when he was there was 'Cody McDogshit'.
They couldn't wait to get rid.
If a player looks crap when playing in a crap Cov City team ... then is he really the answer for us?

The reason he plays well for Gillingham is because he's found his level.
He's a good L2 player at best ... he is not good enough for Championship level.

Surely 18 goals in League one suggests that he's at least a good League one player??? I think he'd be alright as backup if COG leaves, but if he's our main striker... god help us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here