Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cody McDonald?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sounds like the sort we go for. Lower league striker who has never cut the mustard at this level and at 29years old, never likely too. If that's the sort of players we are looking at then it's a relegation scrap next season. As we are half a dozen top players away from any sort of play off challenge.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
When you have a wage bill of £20-23 million it doesn't take a genius to work out where the issues are.Its like paying league 1 players 10-15k a week literally and this needs to be stopped now.
The scouting has been atrocious and look how many players barely played last season while taking a hefty wage:nono:

Agree - we dont need/want anymore journeymen lge1 players like McDonald - 29yrs old and moved from club to club doing virtually nothing - we already have COG and Baldock of a similiar ilk, if we sign these type of players we're going to be in another relegation dogfight

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sounds like the sort we go for. Lower league striker who has never cut the mustard at this level and at 29years old, never likely too. If that's the sort of players we are looking at then it's a relegation scrap next season. As we are half a dozen top players away from any sort of play off challenge.

Nailed - we're miles away from any sort of playoff challenge - we still have far too many players from last season for my liking. We need at least 5 new players who will be in the starting 11 to make midtable imo

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

In fairness, both Baldock and CMS were the top scorer in League 1 when we signed them. Cody McDonald was not. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if this is true but don't think it is. If true, it would seem more likely to be a back up to our main targets if we wanted him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So this has all just come from a tweet from tweeter unknown.

Is there any other non-hearsay reports ?

Doesn't seem like a player we'll be after, I suspect this thread is giving the random tweet too much respect.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
In fairness, both Baldock and CMS were the top scorer in League 1 when we signed them. Cody McDonald was not. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if this is true but don't think it is. If true, it would seem more likely to be a back up to our main targets if we wanted him.

I would suggest that we have enough 'backup' in Colunga, Baldock and COG? - we dont need another lge1 striker unless we unload 2 of those 3?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would suggest that we have enough 'backup' in Colunga, Baldock and COG? - we dont need another lge1 striker unless we unload 2 of those 3?

I don't think Colunga will come back and would be surprised if O'Grady stayed. Think it will just be Baldock.

I meant more back up to our main targets rather than back up for the first team. However, I agree with you. Really don't think he's the sort of player we should be looking at.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect we are working flat out to unload COG and Colunga on the best possible terms for us.

So if things go well, we could be looking at

Zamora
Baldock
*new striker ( imo not McDonald )*
Murphy ( striker / winger )
Young Paraguayan we may sign
Tilley

as the strike force, which depending on the quality of the unknown one, seems to give us decent options.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I dont agree with doing it but I can see the logic of starting the season with what we can obtain and afford and then wait for the Premier to allow players out on loan during the loan window. then bringing in them in, provided it is season loans not short term. We could have never afforded Bridge Texieria other than on loan. In general we have done reasonably well with loans other than strikers.

Recipe for (another) disaster BG... trust me...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have a colleague who is friends with some of the Gillingham team, and they have confirmed that we've made a £75k bid. Of course, it may be all be internal rumours etc.....

My colleague reckons they'd want £350k plus add-on's.

Bit disappointing if this what we are going after even as a reserve, Colunga twice the player IMO.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
If COG and Colunga leave I wouldn't mind McDonald as back up. Would be a very decent option as 3rd or 4th choice. I would hope he'd be no more than that though...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If COG and Colunga leave I wouldn't mind McDonald as back up. Would be a very decent option as 3rd or 4th choice. I would hope he'd be no more than that though...
The only problem with that is traditionally the 3rd choice and loan striker, has the AMEX era Albion ever had 4 strikers, end up playing the bulk of the games.
Signing Zamora is unlikely to alter that.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
So why have deals already been struck this summer then? And in our league too. Are the players concerned all poor players? Answer = No.
The likes of Derby and Notts Forest finished in the mix last year. It's much easier to sell that prospect to a player than a side that narrowly avoided a relegation battle. We have plenty of good things going for us in terms of attracting players but are we likely to challenge for promotion? Unlikely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure he's 'on the verge', is he? He made 33 appearances last season.

According to soccerbase he made 19 starts and was a sub 19 times but no mention of how many times he actually came on as a sub. Now 34 years old and in the last year of his contract. so always a loan possibility as I cannot see him figuring much for them this season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't believe for one moment there is any truth in this. He isn't good enough or what we need.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Recipe for (another) disaster BG... trust me...

Bridge was signed well before the season too. I remember as it was on my birthday. It was quite a birthday - I received the news of my Masters Distinction in the morning, then we went out in the afternoon and Radio Sussex announced the Bridge signing. A repeat of last season would be a disaster; I can't think why BG is suggesting it. As for Macondald, why would a first teamer, albeit at a lower league team, want to come and warm our bench? Would it be just for money? Or is this really the calibre of player we are looking at? I would think we'd learnt the lesson with O'Grady.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
yawn bullshit yawn
insulting comments on lower division players from jokers who've never seen them play
yawn yawn
sadly accurate cynicism
yawn
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-----------------------------------------------_______________________0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here