Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Leeds (h)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I watch Sam Baldock and wonder, doesn't run direct, struggles to get any shots off with power or accuracy, is second to the ball, doesn't have great control, is easily pushed of the ball and runs around a lot ineffectually. With a decent partner for Murray we would be away at the top now. Its an opinion and I really want him to score, but for me he doesn't cut it. I hear he was Sky MOM, what for, just can't see it.

I reckon I know more about Botswanan politics than you do about football.

Just a hunch.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stockdale 6. A couple of comfortable takes from poor crosses was about all he had to deal with.
Bruno 7. Standard Bruno calm measured and pure class
Pocognoli. 8. Strong first half. Keeps the shirt for me
Duffy. 7.5. What a signing
Dunk. 8.5 MOM. It's been a pleasure watching him develop into the player he is today.
Stephens 7 hardly noticwd him today but always looked in control
Norwood. 7.5 I was worried when I saw the team sheet. But he made crunching tackle in the first 5 minutes and didn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the game.
Knockaert 7. Slowly getting back to some form.
Murphy 7.5 great run to win the free kick in the first half.
Baldock 7.5 another classic performance from Super Sam. Great energy
Murray 7. Convinced he was going to balls up the pen. I should have had more faith

Hemed. 8. So glad he got the pen. It must be tough for him watching Glenn this season
One of his better penalties.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The analysts on Sky were critical of Norwood's free-kicks which you describe as first class. From those positions he needs to get the ball on target for the defenders to score. He does seem to be very good at taking set pieces though. I wonder who would take them if Skalak and Norwood were both on the field at the same time.

The first two in front of the NS were poor, that type of free kick needs to be on target so if an attacker misses it there's a chance it will go in

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I sit in the south end of the WSU, so I was in line with those two free kicks. There's no way with that angle that they would have creeped in to the far corner. Our resident goalkeeping expert -- step forward @HansKraayFanClub -- might have a view on this. I'll say it again, they were two brilliant free kicks, and they weren't the only ones that Duffy should have done better with.
Free kicks need to be far more central to creep in at the far post and it's these that really trouble the keeper.
I've no idea why people seem to want to jump on Norwood's set-pieces, when Knockaert has been far more guilty of over-hitting them.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Stockdale - 7 - Claimed crosses and other balls into the box well, good distribution as always, other than that didn't have a lot to do.
Bruno - 7 - Typical Bruno performance, did everything he needed to do and did it with class.
Dunk - 9 - MOTM - What a player, seems so calm and collected when defending.
Duffy - 8 - See Dunk, except for the risky tackle in the second half, but it was beautifully timed to be fair, but had it not been it would've been a pen.
Pocognoli - 8 - Filled in well, deserves a start on Tuesday too, however didn't click well with Murphy in the first half.
Knockaert - 7 - Slowly but surely coming back into form, the trickery is starting to return and he made some good runs
Norwood - 7 - dodgy start where he seemed to try too hard, but grew into the game very quickly as it went on and made lots of decent passes, and were his free kicks really that bad?
Stephens - 7 - Solid, won the ball when needed and made good passes.
Murphy - 7 - Seemed a little frustrated at times as he was battered by the Leeds defenders, also didn't click well with Pocognoli in the first Half.
Baldock - 8 - made great runs to split apart the Leeds defence.
Murray - 7 - well taken pen, but it seemed like Leeds were well prepared to play against him.

Hemed - 7 - Well taken Pen, helped to win it too, maybe start him on Tuesday.
March - 6 - Good to see him, but he didn't really do a lot, early days though.
Skalak - N/A - Wasn't on the pitch long enough.

All in all it was one of those games where we didn't really have to make too much of an effort, we were very comfortable.

Leeds looked good with 10 men, but had no end product due to our defence, I was also quite impressed with their centre back Jansson.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Thanks. Bit perplexed that they've rated Baldock and Murphy as our weakest outfield players :shrug:

It's probably a purely statistical rating, so doesn't account for a lot of the play that makes Baldock very good. Knockaert always scores highly because he makes successful dribbles and key passes, must be 'worth' much more on the rating than other passes.

The more interesting thing I thought was to scroll down and compare the Leeds passes, completion rates, etc. Woeful.

Oh an look at Duffy's aerial duels won, the guy is insanely good in the air!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I watch Sam Baldock and wonder, doesn't run direct, struggles to get any shots off with power or accuracy, is second to the ball, doesn't have great control, is easily pushed of the ball and runs around a lot ineffectually. With a decent partner for Murray we would be away at the top now. Its an opinion and I really want him to score, but for me he doesn't cut it. I hear he was Sky MOM, what for, just can't see it.
Scuffed three shots tonight,lost it everytime it went to him. 8/10! [emoji38]ol:

The bar of expectation is set very low there. He is poor, usually, and the end of attacking moves. As Pocognoli us a step up from Bong, a proper#9 will make a real difference. We're fortunate we have others of such quality to compensate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Scuffed three shots tonight,lost it everytime it went to him. 8/10! [emoji38]ol:

The bar of expectation is set very low there. He is poor, usually, and the end of attacking moves. As Pocognoli us a step up from Bong, a proper#9 will make a real difference. We're fortunate we have others to compensate.

....and awarded MOM by the Sky pundits (ex professional footballers).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
....and awarded MOM by the Sky pundits (ex professional footballers).
Proves two things, 1) it was a tough game to pick a MOM and 2) that pundits are often wrong.

Personally, I would have given Murphy the man of the match. A number of direct runs, forced a few free kicks and ran with pace. Shame he got injured when he did. He and Pocognoli could form a quality partnership on our left.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Proves two things, 1) it was a tough game to pick a MOM and 2) that pundits are often wrong.

Personally, I would have given Murphy the man of the match. A number of direct runs, forced a few free kicks and ran with pace. Shame he got injured when he did. He and Pocognoli could form a quality partnership on our left.

Murphy?!

He was okay, but there were several better.

All opinions.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sahel

Jan 24, 2014

I agree with you. He does all the right things but just isnt quite good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here