Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] - the reply is a bit long winded so I'll post it here.

Yesterday's ride was the culmination of 3 things + perfect weather.

That's a good route for us, as we can pick our way home.
Washington - short
Houghton - medium
Fontwell - long.

My bike and the weather meant Fontwell was always likely, but when I got there I just couldn't turn for home, so I headed north.

The new wheels (replacing rubbish ones) are still fantastic and a joy to ride.
We always say upgrade the wheels (+ new tyres) but from now on I will really mean it.
Oh and the 46 mph was down Duncton, smooth surface, dead straight, shame about the s-bend at the bottom.

My new groupset has taken some getting used too, but changing down from standard to semi compact is really beginning to make a difference.

Then coming through the lanes south of Petworth, I had a teeny-weeny epiphany, and it's one some of you aren't going to like.
I realised 'this is why I rode through all the wind, rain, more wind, cold, even more wind, a blizzard and wind' all winter.

Riding fast for 60 miles around West Sussex on a glorious day, constantly pushing at the distance, makes it all worth while, and some.

Sorry about that but it was such a glorious ride, and why I love cycling, I needed to write it down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] - the reply is a bit long winded so I'll post it here.

Yesterday's ride was the culmination of 3 things + perfect weather.

That's a good route for us, as we can pick our way home.
Washington - short
Houghton - medium
Fontwell - long.

My bike and the weather meant Fontwell was always likely, but when I got there I just couldn't turn for home, so I headed north.

The new wheels (replacing rubbish ones) are still fantastic and a joy to ride.
We always say upgrade the wheels (+ new tyres) but from now on I will really mean it.
Oh and the 46 mph was down Duncton, smooth surface, dead straight, shame about the s-bend at the bottom.

My new groupset has taken some getting used too, but changing down from standard to semi compact is really beginning to make a difference.

Then coming through the lanes south of Petworth, I had a teeny-weeny epiphany, and it's one some of you aren't going to like.
I realised 'this is why I rode through all the wind, rain, more wind, cold, even more wind, a blizzard and wind' all winter.

Riding fast for 60 miles around West Sussex on a glorious day, constantly pushing at the distance, makes it all worth while, and some.

Sorry about that but it was such a glorious ride, and why I love cycling, I needed to write it down.

Ha don't apologise. Instead of racing South down Coombes last night, 6 of us decided to try a rolling rotating break away style effort which did deliver a PR for me and 3 miles at just over 22mph. The two youngsters we had with us were just too keen to get on the break though so it wasn't exactly professionally smooth, plus its not an ideal stretch with the bends and on coming traffic. I've currently got a shimano wheel on the back with a laughable 12-36 cassette (bought for the other bike) and a fulcrum 7 on the front. Need to get the other one fixed, then keep them as spares. You are convincing me to order a set of those wheels. I think I should just do it and stop procrastinating. I'm sold on the quality, and having a set not many other people are going to have from some local wheel makers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ha don't apologise. Instead of racing South down Coombes last night, 6 of us decided to try a rolling rotating break away style effort which did deliver a PR for me and 3 miles at just over 22mph. The two youngsters we had with us were just too keen to get on the break though so it wasn't exactly professionally smooth, plus its not an ideal stretch with the bends and on coming traffic. I've currently got a shimano wheel on the back with a laughable 12-36 cassette (bought for the other bike) and a fulcrum 7 on the front. Need to get the other one fixed, then keep them as spares. You are convincing me to order a set of those wheels. I think I should just do it and stop procrastinating. I'm sold on the quality, and having a set not many other people are going to have from some local wheel makers.
That's our strong headwind formation, as we head into it someone saying 'no talking short turns'.
It's scarily effective as invariably our average will either hold or perhaps go up a point or two.

As said before they're not physically made in P/Green, that's just where they run the business from.
They have a 'wheel making partner':-
http://www.huntbikewheels.com/pages/hand-built-performance-bike-wheels-tubeless-ready

Nevertheless they aren't a faceless company, I've had semi regular, back and forth, emails with Josh Ibbett.

Be warned though there is a delay as the wheels are made to order, so if you know you're going to do it 'at some point', you're better off ordering now and then procrastinating, instead of the other way round.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's our strong headwind formation, as we head into it someone saying 'no talking short turns'.
It's scarily effective as invariably our average will either hold or perhaps go up a point or two.

As said before they're not physically made in P/Green, that's just where they run the business from.
They have a 'wheel making partner':-
http://www.huntbikewheels.com/pages/hand-built-performance-bike-wheels-tubeless-ready

Nevertheless they aren't a faceless company, I've had semi regular, back and forth, emails with Josh Ibbett.

Be warned though there is a delay as the wheels are made to order, so if you know you're going to do it 'at some point', you're better off ordering now and then procrastinating, instead of the other way round.

:lolol: it's always better to order then procrastinate! I like that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Little Richie Porte forgetting what team he rides for :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Little Richie Porte forgetting what team he rides for :lolol:
He could easily style that mistake out as helping to see off Contador, before moving on to vanquish Froome.
Alternatively he could just roll in and remain second over the weekend!

It's strange how Bert no longer seems to have that almost superhuman third and fourth kick :dunce:

Loving the scenes of Tinkoff, Sky, Astana then BMC all strung out on the road.
Eurosport had some lovely shots on that super-straight road.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Aru came in over 15 minutes down today. Smart riding, losing enough time to be given the freedom to ride himself back into the GC top 5 tomorrow :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aru came in over 15 minutes down today. Smart riding, losing enough time to be given the freedom to ride himself back into the GC top 5 tomorrow :whistle:
Conveniently forgetting the 3/4ers of Team Stat's Galacticos currently sitting in the top 9.

Gotta love Richie Porte - he's as predictable as it being dark tonight.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Conveniently forgetting the 3/4ers of Team Stat's Galacticos currently sitting in the top 9.

Gotta love Richie Porte - he's as predictable as it being dark tonight.

How many is 3/4ers of 9 exactly?

4 of the top 5 you said.

Froome nailed on, as stated.
Martin hasn't blown up or fallen off his bike yet, fair play.
Meintjes going well, as befits his young talent, but still a gamble that he'll make it into top 5 after tomorrow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many is 3/4ers of 9 exactly?

4 of the top 5 you said.

Froome nailed on, as stated.
Martin hasn't blown up or fallen off his bike yet, fair play.
Meintjes going well, as befits his young talent, but still a gamble that he'll make it into top 5 after tomorrow.

Aru is now back just far enough to be allowed to win tomorrow (assuming he leaves in a minute).
Meintjes will follow him home, moving up to 3, as Martin collects second behind Froome.

DS-Stat wins(ish) again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Aru is now back just far enough to be allowed to win tomorrow (assuming he leaves in a minute).
Meintjes will follow him home, moving up to 3, as Martin collects second behind Froome.

DS-Stat wins(ish) again.

I'd believe all of that if Little Richie hadn't already had his bad day, despite it only being a one week stage race :lolol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just when you think "I bet he fancies a nice day on the beach tomorrow" then, bang, another 15,000 feet appear. Brilliant stuff!

Yeah, saw that. In a week he's done 55% of my 2015 climbing. The (brilliant) swine.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Last stage of Dauphine just set to go live on ITV4 folks.

All you lot with Dan Martin in their team might enjoy it today. Etixx chasing down the break at the mo. Looks like they fancy setting Dan up for the stage win and podium spot. I'm just hoping Alaphilippe can hang in there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last stage of Dauphine just set to go live on ITV4 folks.

All you lot with Dan Martin in their team might enjoy it today. Etixx chasing down the break at the mo. Looks like they fancy setting Dan up for the stage win and podium spot. I'm just hoping Alaphilippe can hang in there.
I hope I've taped it, we're currently in The Duke of York's watching When Marnie Was There, potentially the last film from Studio Ghibli.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I hope I've taped it, we're currently in The Duke of York's watching When Marnie Was There, potentially the last film from Studio Ghibli.

Oh no! Dan Martin's only gone and crashed out....again. :eek:

Ooops, sorry, no more spoilers, I promise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

This isn't a recommendation as it's the first time I've even seen this bike.

We were walking past CycleStore in London Road earlier and they had:-

https://www.evanscycles.com/raleigh-revenio-1-2015-road-bike-EV237827

From £530 reduced down to £399, so naturally I thought of you.

As said this isn't a recommendation but the bike does have what you should be looking for.

A decent frame.
Carbon forks - pretty much standard these days.
Shimano Claris groupset - groupset http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/shimano-launches-new-claris-groupset-33350
Wheels - well it's got some!!
But at least the tyres are reputable.

Oh and let's not forget about vintage style retro lycra:-

627e956759e5124f86befbcc8fcd61d7.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here