Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Long awaited returns

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Yeah basically. The reason I say that is that I reckon Gross is practically undroppable at the moment, and offers (amongst other things!) fantastic movement to both wings.

[tweet]919580096079515649[/tweet]

Here are our average positions (and passing) for the Everton game. The back for and two midfielders played textbook lines. Gross was, on average, more advanced than Murray and also more mobile - this isn't a slight on Muzza, they had different jobs obviously. If you replaced March (for example) with Baldock you'd expect him to be slightly more advanced and central, and for Gross to be slightly withdrawn to mitigate against it. Just a hunch though, and I reckon more than anything it's something of a 'Plan B' if we're in a match where Solly and Knocky aren't able to be as effective as they'd like.

Really interesting analysis Matt, I agree Gross does appear to be in the best form at the moment. But I remember reading an article by a german sports journalist (sorry can't find the link!) saying that his most productive position is centre mid, where he is able to work almost like a quarterback firing in passes for goal scoring opportunities, switching play from a deeper position. But if you put him in a more advanced position he'll see less of the ball. He also said that's his greatest problem he can play both positions (behind the attack, centre mid) really well but by asking him to do either you lose one aspect of his game, he's a very interesting player to be honest!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really interesting analysis Matt, I agree Gross does appear to be in the best form at the moment. But I remember reading an article by a german sports journalist (sorry can't find the link!) saying that his most productive position is centre mid, where he is able to work almost like a quarterback firing in passes for goal scoring opportunities. But by putting him in more advanced positions he'll see less of the ball. He also said that's his greatest problem he can play both positions (behind the attack, centre mid) really well but by asking him to do either you lose one aspect of his game, he's a very interesting player to be honest!

I guess that all depends on what is happening in front of Gross.
The one thing we haven't seen (but seriously looking forward too) is how he plays behind an out and out speedster.

Somewhat unfairly on him, I have a vision of Gross repeatedly playing 'the' pass, at 'the' moment, to give a Baldock type player 30 yards of space 2 yards ahead of a momentarily napping defense.

I certainly wouldn't want him to drop back into midfield but he is rather wasted when the team are playing extra defensive football.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We need pace to stretch other teams centre backs as we can’t do this at the moment
I would drop Stephens to the bench and put Gross and Propper in the middle with Sam and either GM/TH upfront
Worked well last season with those one upfront and SB playing the ten role

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a diversion from Baldock it will be very pleasing to see Kayal on the bench.
The team has been blooming lucky to scrape through these few weeks without having to put Bruno or Rosenior in at CM.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'd move Gross into midfield with Propper alongside him which should mean we'll be a much better passing team in the middle.

Not a bad bench if we have Kayal and Stephens as options if we ever need to change things around too.

I would drop Stephens to the bench and put Gross and Propper in the middle with Sam and either GM/TH upfront

Utter madness. It's like you don't understand how our 442 has functioned.

If you replace Stephens (which is madness in itself considering he and Propper are starting to show the signs of a solid partnership) you replace him with Sidwell or Kayal if he was in form, which he hasn't been since 2015/16. How are we going to fare with 2x AM/10's protecting our back line? How can you possibly be confident of Gross putting in a shift in CM when, if anything, he is struggling with the physicality of English football?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

If you replace Stephens (which is madness in itself considering he and Propper are starting to show the signs of a solid partnership) you replace him with Sidwell or Kayal if he was in form, which he hasn't been since 2015/16. How are we going to fare with 2x AM/10's protecting our back line? How can you possibly be confident of Gross putting in a shift in CM when, if anything, he is struggling with the physicality of English football?

But we haven’t played 4-4-2 yet we’ve played a 4-4-1-1

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Personally, I think Dale Stephens looks a yard behind the pace and has been giving the ball away far too often. I thought he might struggle in this league and so far it looks so.
Gross can play in midfield, how is that insane putting him in the Midfield? Also, you must be the only Albion fan who thinks he's struggling with English football!? He's been one of our better players so far and his strengths look more required as a midfielder than a centre forward. The Prem is a lot more about passing and moving rather than winning tackles and out muscling the opposition. As you saw against Everton, we barley won any tackles in midfield as we were never getting near the ball due to the fast tempo of play we're adjusting to right now. IMO, I'd rather see 2 players in the midfield who are capable of playing the ball quick and efficiently who both have experience of playing at the top level. Dale Stephens managed to intercept a few passes against Everton but I wouldn't use that to describe him as player who's a combating midfielder.
I think I'd even rather have Kayal than Stephens at this current time if it be, but like I said, I'd rather have quality in the middle in this division than a player who is giving the ball away far too often and not matching the oppositions midfield quality.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Can't see Chris changing too much as what we're doing is working pretty well and we're gaining in confidence each match. We'll just have more options and quality from the bench. My feeling is that initially, at least, and maybe longer term, Chris will use Baldock and either Izquierdo/March/Knockaert from the bench towards the end of a game if we're chasing, in order to stretch the game with Baldock's movement and add additional pace from the winger.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
For me, play Baldock up front, Pröpper sat behind, Größ and Stephens in the middle and interchangable between March/Knocky/José on the wings.
If going for a 442 then throw Izzy in for Pröpper. Any of our midfield can fill that No10 role though, we have a pretty creative midfield.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Personally, I think Dale Stephens looks a yard behind the pace and has been giving the ball away far too often. I thought he might struggle in this league and so far it looks so.
Gross can play in midfield, how is that insane putting him in the Midfield? Also, you must be the only Albion fan who thinks he's struggling with English football!? He's been one of our better players so far and his strengths look more required as a midfielder than a centre forward. The Prem is a lot more about passing and moving rather than winning tackles and out muscling the opposition. As you saw against Everton, we barley won any tackles in midfield as we were never getting near the ball due to the fast tempo of play we're adjusting to right now. IMO, I'd rather see 2 players in the midfield who are capable of playing the ball quick and efficiently who both have experience of playing at the top level. Dale Stephens managed to intercept a few passes against Everton but I wouldn't use that to describe him as player who's a combating midfielder.
I think I'd even rather have Kayal than Stephens at this current time if it be, but like I said, I'd rather have quality in the middle in this division than a player who is giving the ball away far too often and not matching the oppositions midfield quality.

I cannot believe anybody is saying this as Stephens has improved with every game and is now firmly entrenched in the side alongside Propper and I do not think that CH will even consider dropping him to the bench except possibly for tactical reasons in any 1 particular game. The nature of his style of play is such that he will lose the odd ball and if not he would be the first name in Gareth Southgates midfield

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I cannot believe anybody is saying this as Stephens has improved with every game and is now firmly entrenched in the side alongside Propper and I do not think that CH will even consider dropping him to the bench except possibly for tactical reasons in any 1 particular game. The nature of his style of play is such that he will lose the odd ball and if not he would be the first name in Gareth Southgates midfield

Don't get me wrong, I very much rated him last season but was wary if he could make the step up to the Prem. He has the ability but doesn't always get himself involved enough. His passing can either be really good some games and absolutely shocking on other games. Maybe it's his inconsistency I'm judging him by rather than his ability?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I saw nothing wrong with his game against Everton and in fact thought that he was one of the better players along with Propper, either of whom could have been considered for MOM

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Utter madness. ...How can you possibly be confident of Gross putting in a shift in CM when, if anything, he is struggling with the physicality of English football?

Yes. I agree . Stephens and Pröpper are now #1 CM choice but Gross can definitely play there and has done in his Bundesliga career when required.
And is he really "struggling". ??
Seems to have settled in best of our new signings.
See his aggressive assist for AK's goal on Sunday for starters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here