Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Orgreave.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
and Wapping / Battle of the Beanfield

dark days indeed
I was at wapping a lot and saw some diabolical behaviour by the police , I don't doubt the same happened at orgreave and various other pits.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a regular Norwich poster on here called Mikey something from the Shoreham area. Thought it was him. use to be quite smug
[MENTION=3893]mike79[/MENTION] is the Canary. Not seen him post, these last few days.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
IMG_0118.JPG

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
What a very weak argument - it is hardly either or, is it? Listening to his hypocrisy yesterday was quite unedifying, given that he had every chance himself.

Where is the hypocrisy? Because his party were in power and did nothing, he personally is a hypocrite? At which point was Tony Blair ever going to tarnish the reputation of Margaret Thatcher?

The Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign was set up in 2012 in the light of the Hillsborough campaign. He was on board straight away.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Where is the hypocrisy? Because his party were in power and did nothing, he personally is a hypocrite? At which point was Tony Blair ever going to tarnish the reputation of Margaret Thatcher?

The Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign was set up in 2012 in the light of the Hillsborough campaign. He was on board straight away.

I'll bet he was. If he is so strident about it, as he showed yesterday, why was he not board before? Why all this now, so long afterwards, and why did it take Hillsborough to start this up, some 30 years afterwards? As to your first para, of course it is hypocritical to shout at the Home secretary for doing nothing, when his party did exactly the same. And your point about Blair -is that really the best you can do to defend the indefensible?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
[/B]

I'll bet he was. If he is so strident about it, as he showed yesterday, why was he not board before? Why all this now, so long afterwards, and why did it take Hillsborough to start this up, some 30 years afterwards? As to your first para, of course it is hypocritical to shout at the Home secretary for doing nothing, when his party did exactly the same. And your point about Blair -is that really the best you can do to defend the indefensible?

He was on board straight away, I've just said that. The Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign was set up in the light of Hillsborough, after it was seen how South Yorkshire Police behaved, and how they were complicit in falsifying evidence. I've already said that too. He can't get on board the campaign before it exists...

As for 'his' party, this isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a party political issue. The fact it was the Tory Party in power at the time isn't the central issue. It's about holding the government of the day and the South Yorkshire Police Force of the day accountable to what happened. The fact his party didn't do anything about it appears to make you believe he is campaigning now purely because is a Labour MP, and therefore a hypocrite, which of course is twaddle.

I'm with #TeamAmber on this. Her suggestion that employers should state the number of foreign workers they employ followed by this decision indicates she could be the best Home Secretary of all time. I'm just gutted that Andrea Leadsom didn't win the race to be PM. Pictures of the pair of them would be perfect when having a Jodrell.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Images of Thatcher and Widdicombe always fill my head as I near the vinegars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So it was working clas miners v working class coppers. The 70s and 80s were violent times, not a patch on today. No doubt here were different agendas on both sides, to portray the miners as being innocent, without strategy, funding from abroad and no agenda is more than a tad niaive. They had an agenda to bring the government of the day down and they failed and now as is traditional we have those who can't deal with losing calling for someone else to foot a huge bill to arrive at an inconclusive answer, The Iraq Inquiry being an absolute point of this. How long ago was Orgreave, what have successive Labour governments done about it and now its a Tory cover up? Its history, from a different generation and will do what if an inquiry was sanctioned? Right decision yesterday, too many calls for hugely expensive public inquiries that achieve very little.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
He was on board straight away, I've just said that. The Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign was set up in the light of Hillsborough, after it was seen how South Yorkshire Police behaved, and how they were complicit in falsifying evidence. I've already said that too. He can't get on board the campaign before it exists...

As for 'his' party, this isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a party political issue. The fact it was the Tory Party in power at the time isn't the central issue. It's about holding the government of the day and the South Yorkshire Police Force of the day accountable to what happened. The fact his party didn't do anything about it appears to make you believe he is campaigning now purely because is a Labour MP, and therefore a hypocrite, which of course is twaddle.

Listening to him shouting in the Commons yesterday at the Tory home secretary about a political stich-up, when his party had every opportunity to instigate yet another expensive enquiry, it is exactly what it is about, according to him, whether you like it or not. It is not about holding the government of the day to account, as such, it is about him seeing political gain over his opponents. They all do it. The idea that it just totally by chance happens to be a labour chap having at go at the Tories is pure fantasy. You cannot be that naïve, surely.
I see also that you have decided in advance of any enquiry who should be held to account - is not the point of an enquiry to establish this after extensive research into the facts?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think there should be a Public Enquiry.

We know Thatcher gave the police licence to do whatever it took to take down the miners and we know there were police who regarded it as a carte blanche to bash some Northerners, so what is the point of spending many months and millions of pounds - and compromising the ability of South Yorkshire Police to get on and do their job now - just to be told what we already know.

I agree with Rudd that if there had been deaths or miscarriages of justice then it would be a different story. I've seen documentaries about Orgreave and participants on both sides have said it was a cracking good tear-up. A lot of them were only doing what they were doing at the football on a Saturday anyway.

To me this about playing politics - in particular about Labour trying to be seen to care about those voters who have been deserting them for UKIP, winning back sympathy and votes from the working class whilst tainting May with the bad old days of Thatcher.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You lost so get the fook over it.

Now that may seem a bit callious but when you view 2 main points its all thats left. The Points being that firstly south Yorks police were scumbags of the level of the Met and the SPG of the time, the former where bussed up there to crack skulls as well.

Theres no way a Tory government is going to let its opponents have a free punch, do your whining on your own time.Especially as its yet another attempt to rewrite history.

The Interesting things are in the future, maybe a President Trump or wether the London Mayor Jihadi Khan gets his wings clipped, Thatcher wouldn't have hesitated putting that little clown in his place ala GLC.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
You lost so get the fook over it.

Now that may seem a bit callious but when you view 2 main points its all thats left. The Points being that firstly south Yorks police were scumbags of the level of the Met and the SPG of the time, the former where bussed up there to crack skulls as well.

Theres no way a Tory government is going to let its opponents have a free punch, do your whining on your own time.Especially as its yet another attempt to rewrite history.

The Interesting things are in the future, maybe a President Trump or wether the London Mayor Jihadi Khan gets his wings clipped, Thatcher wouldn't have hesitated putting that little clown in his place ala GLC.

will there be a future with President Trump?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here