Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Europe think we're an annoyance, the Americans see us as useful idiots and the rest of the world either couldn't care less or hates us for the Empire. Our significance is largely in our own minds.

Rubbish. We invented cricket, the hovercraft, Dean Wilkins and Marmite.

The rest of the world in enveeous of us.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So according to Ms Church we should asdk the Syrian people who they want us to bomb. Would that be those under the rule of ISIS, or those under the rule of Assad? Very polarised answers I would imagine.

Alternatively we could blame climate change? Well done Charlotte :facepalm:

It's at least a 4 way civil war so it's a reasonable question to ask. The truth is we have absolutely no idea what we are doing, what we are trying to achieve or what success looks like.

And climate change is undoubtedly creating migration push factors in many areas of the world. It's beyond debate. Desertification is at the highest rate we have ever seen. This is a problem that is only going to get worse.

Last edited:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Charlotte Church factoring in climate change to the Syria crisis. Unbelievable, Cringeworthy and totally insensitive. Who ever booked the bint should be sacked.

I'm glad I was not the only person to hear this. Thought I was dreaming. She is mad. She would be perfect for the shadow cabinet. Maybe Corbyn could put her in charge of the environment.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If we gave up nuclear weapons we'd be reliant on other countries for our protection, and therefore completely at their beck and call.

Yep, just like Germany and Japan and South Africa and Sweden and etc. etc. are totally at our beck and call.

We've worked hard as a nation to get into the global position of significance we now occupy. Breaking up the Union and relinquishing our nuclear weapons would throw all that away.

We haven't worked hard at all, unless you mean in conquering a third of the globe over a century ago? We were the most important global power then. We've since slid gracefully down the table of global significance, propped up by the wealth we had accumulated and our rather paltry collection of nuclear weapons.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Charlotte Church matching her image of a dumb blonde perfectly.

'The issue of Trident renewal is a completely different issue than that of JC's refusal to push the button', not verbatim but the essence of. Just a celebrity idiot trying to reinvent herself.
She was very good.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
If we gave up nuclear weapons we'd be reliant on other countries for our protection, and therefore completely at their beck and call.

We've worked hard as a nation to get into the global position of significance we now occupy. Breaking up the Union and relinquishing our nuclear weapons would throw all that away.

Got to chuckle at this brainless, standard line that people wheel out. Unfortunately its a popular one with British people fuelled by the mindless right wing press.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Got to chuckle at this brainless, standard line that people wheel out. Unfortunately its a popular one with British people fuelled by the mindless right wing press.

You've trotted out one of the most banal, irritating clichés on this board there, the old "mindless right-wing press". For you information I am a Lib Dem voters and the only time I pick up a newspaper is for the sports pages, otherwise I get my news from the BBC.

Many people may not like the Royal Family, nuclear weapons, the Commonwealth, the fact we have four nations united as one but these are the product of our history and give us a seat at the top table which makes us a mover and shaker. Have you been to London recently? It is the most desirable city to reside in the world, and that's a fact, not the right wing press telling me so.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Have you been to London recently? It is the most desirable city to reside in the world, and that's a fact, not the right wing press telling me so.

I have no desire to join in your debate but this bit? Really? London's great don't get me wrong but it's probably more like top ten.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, just like Germany and Japan and South Africa and Sweden and etc. etc. are totally at our beck and call.

We haven't worked hard at all, unless you mean in conquering a third of the globe over a century ago? We were the most important global power then. We've since slid gracefully down the table of global significance, propped up by the wealth we had accumulated and our rather paltry collection of nuclear weapons.

Holding our own in WW2 until the Yanks finally joined us (thank to Japan's war mongering) showed that we had the resilience to stand.

As for global significance, we have a head of state who is also head of state in 32 countries and is head over 54 countries in total, which is a large proportion of the world's population. This is done, not by force, but by cooperation. Never underestimate the power of good relationships with other countries.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought that the UN was born out of the League of Nations formed after WW 1
NATO was formed after WW2 to counter an increased soviet existence in the west

League of Nations was formed in 1919. United Nations in 1944/5. NATO in 1949, for the very reason you indicate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
i rather think incompetance and rule by committee, with too many conflicting interests, undermines the effect of the UN. NATO was always strong as it was simple in aims.

Agree with you on rule by committee, and conflicting interests, but it has enormous legitimacy around the world. That's in stark contrast to what the organisation actually is, which is something to be picked up and put down whenever it wants by the US. NATO will never have similar legitimacy because it is transparently about naked narrow interest, which is why it's so popular with the (expanding) Eton lot who have rediscovered their mojo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here