Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So... Does Russian World Cup 2018 equate to Hitler's 1936 Olympics?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Allegedly

Allegedly

I am afraid the innocent until proven guilty thing doesn’t work in the realm of international relations, it’s anarchic, there is no supreme court and jury, no way to force countries to stand trial and give evidence. In that context what are people expecting in the way of evidence exactly that would convince them that putin was behind it? This hit would have been carried out by a highly trained team of professionals, meticulously planned and carried out under the cover of diplomatic immunity. They are not likely to leave much in the way of physical evidence that would conclusively track back to the heart of the Kremlin.

Even in the case of the Litvinenko poisoning with a trail of radioactivity that went back to Russia and a couple of suspects it was impossible to conclude without doubt that it was Russia as they would not allow the suspects to be extradited.

There no doubt will be a lot of top secret evidence here that the government can’t share, a history of Russia carrying out these types of hits, motive and the fact that the nerve agent was developed by them. We really need to stop the politically correct bollocks, get real here and stand behind our government or we will be sending a message to the rest of the world that Britain is a push over.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
067ff66ae5437aa0f0ca55d221885cbd.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I dont see there being any trouble from the Russian hooligans in Russia. Anyone that puts a stain on the tournament who is Russian will not be seeing the light of day for a very long time... Now other countries hooligans it will remain to be seen how they are dealt with.

Naieve, end.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I dont see there being any trouble from the Russian hooligans in Russia. Anyone that puts a stain on the tournament who is Russian will not be seeing the light of day for a very long time... Now other countries hooligans it will remain to be seen how they are dealt with.
Hopefully there arn't too many suckered into going who also have this outlook.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Yes, I think it is comparable.
Should our FS mouthed these opinions in public? Of course not. Soviet Russia was created on the back of WWI. The attack and defence of Russia during WW2 has been the mainstay of their politics ever since. Any comment, comparing today’s regime to anything hitlers Germany, however corrupt is only going to alienate their public even further.
Truly, BJ is an embarrassment not only to the government but to this country’s people. The EU’s stance is encouraging, and we need to face up to Putin otherwise this could become a regular occurrence.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am afraid the innocent until proven guilty thing doesn’t work in the realm of international relations, it’s anarchic, there is no supreme court and jury, no way to force countries to stand trial and give evidence. In that context what are people expecting in the way of evidence exactly that would convince them that putin was behind it? This hit would have been carried out by a highly trained team of professionals, meticulously planned and carried out under the cover of diplomatic immunity. They are not likely to leave much in the way of physical evidence that would conclusively track back to the heart of the Kremlin.

Even in the case of the Litvinenko poisoning with a trail of radioactivity that went back to Russia and a couple of suspects it was impossible to conclude without doubt that it was Russia as they would not allow the suspects to be extradited.

There no doubt will be a lot of top secret evidence here that the government can’t share, a history of Russia carrying out these types of hits, motive and the fact that the nerve agent was developed by them. We really need to stop the politically correct bollocks, get real here and stand behind our government or we will be sending a message to the rest of the world that Britain is a push over.

Thanks for the lecture

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

wonder if the internet has corrected Steve Watson on his substantial factual errors? why make a point so badly, kinda the same fault as Boris is it?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
And some people genuinely wanted this ****ing idiot to be prime minister.

Worryingly, emerging from the same kind of voter dynamic that has seen the rise and rise of Jeremy Corbyn in the Labour Party, I can see a point in time in the not too distant future when Boris becomes the leader of the Tory party and thus .... well, you know the rest. People thought that Trump was an idiot and didn't stand a chance.......The lunatics will truly have overtaken the asylum if/when this happens. Just imagine it, Trump in the US, Putin in Russia, Xi Jinping in China and Boris in the UK - it just needs Le Pen in France and some neo-nazi ****wit in Germany and the world will be set for total disintegration!!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
26 million Soviets died in WW2 for Mother Russia - using Hitler and The Berlin Olympics as a comparison to Putin and this world cup is crass and only going to cause great offence, not just to The Kremlin, but to ordinary Russian people. WW2 is the yardstick of their psyche.

Shhhhh....don't mention what the surviving Russian soldiers did on their way to Berlin and after Berlin was captured..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shhhhh....don't mention what the surviving Russian soldiers did on their way to Berlin and after Berlin was captured..

Russian soldiers, and their superiors, and their superiors superiors, all the way up the chain, were all held accountable to Stalin for the advance on Berlin. Retreat by so much as a single step was punishable by death.

It was vicious brutality all round by all sides.

This to me is the single definitive volume on The Second World War. Read it and weep.

s-l640.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Okay. :thumbsup:

(I didn't when I've spoken to Russians about WW2 as I didn't think there was much point as they were telling me about how it was all Nazi Germany's fault, Russia won WW2, and other awful things they did, like those you mention, were just a regrettable consequence of Nazi Germany's actions or didn't happen. Same reason I wouldn't use the name 'Hitler' as a comparison toward them - WW2 and their view of it defines them. If you don't like their slightly alternative but very proud and patriotic view of the war, then best not mention it - When it comes to Russian's - Don't mention the war. )

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Russian soldiers, and their superiors, and their superiors superiors, all the way up the chain, were all held accountable to Stalin for the advance on Berlin. Retreat by so much as a single step was punishable by death.

It was vicious brutality all round by all sides.

This to me is the single definitive volume on The Second World War. Read it and weep.

s-l640.jpg

Personally Beevor’s books on Stalingrad and Berlin, the downfall give you a better understanding of what they went through and it’s repercussions.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

I understand that, they were not under orders to rape and pillage though, read that book harrowing experience.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

It has been any product of wars since wars began. It even happened in Italy during World War 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marocchinate

It still goes on today in the Middle East and Africa. I believe at last though it is now classed as a War Crime and about time too.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Back to the point of the World Cup. Yes, it is a P R exercise for the Russian Federation,as are they all, but to compare Putin to Hitler is extreme and crass betraying a lack of restraint and diplomacy.
We are not dealing with a third world dictator, this is one of the mightiest nations on Earth and we will have to deal with them after all this is history. What is the end game? Are we just trying to engender a new Cold War?

I say that football has no place in politics. Millions of us anticipate this tournament and the players have sweated blood to get there. Why make their task harder?
I believe that cool heads and measured words are required .

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
- Johnson probably went too far in publically saying this.

- There is a underlying point there of course, and a grain of truth, with Putin already redrawing European borders in Ukraine. Putin could have easily taken the whole of Ukraine if he had wanted to - the fact that the East of the Ukraine is under pro-Russian rule is the will of the majority of people who live there (including some friends of ours).

- We'll know with more clarity after the World Cup is over - if Putin then 'rolls his tanks' into the Baltics, Ukraine or even Bosnia.
Highly unlikely, don't you think?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
- Johnson probably went too far in publically saying this.

- There is a underlying point there of course, and a grain of truth, with Putin already redrawing European borders in Ukraine.

- We'll know with more clarity after the World Cup is over - if Putin then 'rolls his tanks' into the Baltics, Ukraine or even Bosnia.

Highly unlikely, don't you think?
Not at all. Possible.
If he follows his Sochi Olympics playbook.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here