Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, just how rubbish is modern football?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It's not Sky which causes the fixture issues. It's that stupid rule where no 3pm kick offs are allowed to be televised.
Hopefully, one day, 3pm kick offs will be allowed to be televised in England and from then onwards, no one will have anything to complain about and BT sport will no longer have the control over football like they currently have.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting thread in a week when there have been some outstanding matches - our Derby demolition, Barca's amazing comeback vs PSG, the Monaco-Man City tie, Leicester's heroics vs Sevilla, even Tottenham's ruthless 6-0 destruction of Millwall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The actual matches can be – and often are – fantastic.

All the BS that goes with it – transfer speculation; 'EXCLUSIVE' stories in the papers; endless discussions on dedicated radio and TV channels; the sense of entitlement shown by some current and former players etc, etc – I could quite frankly do without.
Nail & head.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Interesting thread in a week when there have been some outstanding matches - our Derby demolition, Barca's amazing comeback vs PSG, the Monaco-Man City tie, Leicester's heroics vs Sevilla, even Tottenham's ruthless 6-0 destruction of Millwall.

Counter argument being our game against Derby on a Friday night, not Saturday 3pm; both Champions League inaccessible to most due to being on BT Sport not terrestrial; Spurs 6-0 showing the differential between Prem and L1 these days. All depends on your perspective :wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Counter argument being our game against Derby on a Friday night, not Saturday 3pm; both Champions League inaccessible to most due to being on BT Sport not terrestrial; Spurs 6-0 showing the differential between Prem and L1 these days. All depends on your perspective :wink:

Taking the OP question literally the above games show that modern football ISN'T rubbish, but I take your point.

I'd also add the point that better pitches, boots, kit, balls, floodlights have all incrementally improved the football experience. If you watch some of the matches from the 70s on Sky the pitches are - by and large - atrocious so it was no surprise the ball got lumped up to the big lad all the time.

It makes you wonder what a player like George Best, Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves in their prime might have been able to accomplish using today's equipment.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Taking the OP question literally the above games show that modern football ISN'T rubbish, but I take your point.

I'd also add the point that better pitches, boots, kit, balls, floodlights have all incrementally improved the football experience. If you watch some of the matches from the 70s on Sky the pitches are - by and large - atrocious so it was no surprise the ball got lumped up to the big lad all the time.

It makes you wonder what a player like George Best, Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves in their prime might have been able to accomplish using today's equipment.

Always an interesting hypothetical isn't it - with modern equipment, training regimes, and off-field behaviour, would Best have been twice the player he was or half the player he was.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's not Sky which causes the fixture issues. It's that stupid rule where no 3pm kick offs are allowed to be televised.
Hopefully, one day, 3pm kick offs will be allowed to be televised in England and from then onwards, no one will have anything to complain about and BT sport will no longer have the control over football like they currently have.

And decimate the lower leagues, no thanks

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
And decimate the lower leagues, no thanks

Why would it decimate the lower leagues?

Lower league fans for some time now, have had the option of streaming live top flight 3pm kick offs. But yet they still are watching their local small team.

We're not living in the 60's anymore. Televised football is no longer a novelty. It's a very old fashioned view that fans from all over the country would stay in to watch a live match over their local team.

Getting 3pm kick offs televised would save football more than damage it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The product is OK but there are a number of issues IMO:
English players don't get an opportunity to develop in the Premier league so we have a crap national team.
Hangers on, agents, pundits, etc are a bunch of scavengers and bleeding money away from the game.
Severely overpaid players.
The FA have lost any teeth they had - the PL have removed them.
Clubs rarely allow managers to develop in their roles.
It is the only industry where a crap manager seems to have no problems in getting another job, despite a history of incompetence.
It stopped being a sport and is now a business, so its priorities have been compromised.
I am sure there are loads more but I am bored by the whole argument as non of it seems to be fixable!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The product is OK but there are a number of issues IMO:
English players don't get an opportunity to develop in the Premier league so we have a crap national team.
Hangers on, agents, pundits, etc are a bunch of scavengers and bleeding money away from the game.
Severely overpaid players.
The FA have lost any teeth they had - the PL have removed them.
Clubs rarely allow managers to develop in their roles.
It is the only industry where a crap manager seems to have no problems in getting another job, despite a history of incompetence.
It stopped being a sport and is now a business, so its priorities have been compromised.
I am sure there are loads more but I am bored by the whole argument as non of it seems to be fixable!

I'll add, fans these days seem obsessed with talking about how much the players earn and how much they're worth.

I personally couldn't give a toss how much someone else earns. It's not my business. I wish the money side to the game stayed confidential. That way we could judge players on their ability, not wealth.

The U.S loves talking about money in relation to their sports stars. Sadly, it looks like we're going down the same route.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I would've thought they'd be in favour of switching the times/days. If their audience (football fans) are already out watching their own teams at 3pm on a Saturday, they aren't going to miss that in favour of watching a televised game (and if they DO, then that impacts on the clubs all the way down the 'football pyramid'). I thought the times were specifically chosen so that they would have the best chance of having the biggest audience from the football-watching general public?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1066family man, are you any relation to Adrie/1066 who use to post on here years ago?

No.

Are you any relation to this bloke?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Football as a sport is fantastic

Football as a business sucks

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I would've thought they'd be in favour of switching the times/days. If their audience (football fans) are already out watching their own teams at 3pm on a Saturday, they aren't going to miss that in favour of watching a televised game (and if they DO, then that impacts on the clubs all the way down the 'football pyramid'). I thought the times were specifically chosen so that they would have the best chance of having the biggest audience from the football-watching general public?

I could be wrong but I thought the rule was implied so that smaller clubs wouldn't have their attendances effected by fans staying in and watching the big match.

These days, fans just wouldn't do that. Watching a match on TV is no big occasion like it was in the 60's. 50 years later and the 3pm no televised matches rule is only benefiting the tv companies and annoyingly, messing around fans who attend matches.

It's a joke and needs to be addressed by the FA.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think football in essence hasn't changed one little bit to what first attracted you to the beautiful game, apart from maybe the ball and the boots. Just need to blank out every last bit of hyper BS surrounding it and feeding off it and you'll have the same good time you first had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here