Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
following on from a corking read about someones daredevil trip to the Stamner making out like they had just relived The Warriors, it bought to mind some of the skankier places I have frequented in my youth.

I would say that The Whitehawk (RIP) beat any hands down over the years, was very handy to be so near the hospital. The Toby in Woodingdean was always lively and certainly finished with a finale so spectacular it would out do any olympics closing ceremony for rough boozers. Even when Jim farr had it I still felt like the place had a menace.

Queens Park Tavern was more depressing than rough I always thought.

More candidates? Stories (non grassy of course)?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Red Lion on Queens Park Road at the top of Carlton Hill had a FEARSOME reputation back in the day but I don't know how true all that was. It's houses now.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Junction in Burgess Hill. My sister used to go in there because she was mates with all the loons and they used to have regular lock ins where the entertainment was provided by a bouncer swinging his chainsaw around.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
After watching the first half of last month's Croatia game cramped in the hot sticky pub with no name, me and mate left at half time to find a pub nearer to our homes to watch the second half. Everywhere was rammed and we had already missed the first 10 mins before we reluctantly stumbled into The Hub.

What a hole.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Yeah the Branch is a HOLE as is the Dyke Tavern, the Palmiera used to be class-A central, not so bad now after the refit.......

Preston Brewery Tap is possibly the shittest pub in the world.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Providence was an utter hole last time I was in there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would say pubs in the burbs always have that loopier more unstable feel especially after a summer all day drinking sort of day, and the fact that the drinkers are often sharing far too many genes. In that vein I would add The Castle/White Schooner in Peacehaven.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
well there's a thing: I didn't know there was an Uncle Sam's in Patcham. What a useful thing NSC is. I shall visit there before my next match.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
For me it has to be the Railway Bell near the station. Rough as hell, especially the clientel. Not too bad on a matchday as you get a few albion in there but go in there any other day and its grim!

On the other hand, as far as pubs round the station go I like the Battle of Trafalgar - decent boozer with decent ale!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Many years ago there was The Ship on the Lewes Road, not far from the Royal Hussar, closed by police more times than I can remember.
Shut for years, now opened as a religious centre for the college next door I believe.
Had my first pint there:drink:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
The Red Lion on Queens Park Road at the top of Carlton Hill had a FEARSOME reputation back in the day but I don't know how true all that was. It's houses now.

It was a right characterless dump...not so much rough as dodgy.
The thought of "Bert and his organ" always put me off.

Nastiest place I can think of was/is the Spread Eagle...shut down until further notice.

Don't know if it's coincident with the Spread Eagle closing but there were some right scruffy drunks with a Staffie cross and a kid in a buggy in the Napier watching England, they were asked to leave twenty mins or so after kick off.

When I worked at Hollingbury we'd avoid The Snipe to get to The Long Man, I was warned never to go there.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Not forgetting the Hikers. :thumbsup:

It was only a matter of time before the Hikers got a mention. Is the Bevendean still open, that was a little frayed around the edges the one time I went in there.
The Westbourne on Portland Road was a horror show in its previous existance as the Aldrington and lastly the Whistle Stop at Portslade Station, the only pub I know with door staff on a Saturday afternoon(with the obviouse exception of the Sportsman)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here