Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Stoke

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Schelotto who wasted countless opportunities for first time crosses/passes by trying and failing to beat his man? Good defensive display, not his usual self going forwards.
Bong (who I have defended tirelessly on here) the one most directly responsible other than Shaqiri himself for their goal?
Jose was so bloody good because Stephens repeatedly and quickly kept finding him out wide.
Dunk, I'll give you this one, ran him close.
Propper also - very poor to the build up of the goal if we are picking.

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You're now making it sound like we played pretty badly today and were carried by 2 men. :lolol:

A good team performance and a great team goal.

If you looked at my ratings you'd have seen that 4 players had exceptional games and another 3/4 played well, in my opinion.

Altogether worthy of 3 points.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stephens has always been a classy player. He just lacks the consistency and influence needed to play for the likes of England.

Totally agree, which is why I said the same thing earlier.

I do think he had a really good game today though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You've given Propper a 6 and Stephens a 9?

How does that work? They both played well and were very comparable in performance.

He's not alone. I did that too.
Propper had three excellent goalscoring opportunities. Credit to him for getting in those positions but, from memory, he didn't get a single one on target. I think [MENTION=26516]sllugaes[/MENTION] would like to point out that his misdirected header played a considerable part in the goal we conceded too, but I might be wrong on that :wink:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You've given Propper a 6 and Stephens a 9?

How does that work? They both played well and were very comparable in performance.

He was the one getting in positions to score, which you could praise him for but it also comes with a responsibility. He had a couple of good chances, one of which he had time to bring down and find the corner but he snatched at a volley instead (from memory).

He was also next in line to Bong in attributing blame for their goal for a lazy header in the build-up. He lost it again late on which could have cost us.

Stephens barely put a foot wrong (unless you count the non-penalty) and got an assist. Perhaps 2 points difference is a fairer analysis but he annoyed me in the buildup to their goal so perhaps not completely rational in my scores.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ryan: 8 - kept us in the game, but other than that had nothing to do.

Bong: 6 - useful going forward but really struggled against Shaquiri in the first half and his failure to press him gave him the space for the goal.
Dunk: 8 - won everything and crucial tackle after the Pen
Duffy: 7 - As good as Dunk, just without the tackle.
Schelotto: 7 - always full of running but just lacking the end product.

Izquierdo: 8 - gaining in confidence and a second STUNNER in 2 games.
Propper: 7 - found space well but wasteful with 2 good chances to score in the 2nd half.
Stephens: 8 - seemed to be at the heart of all our good moves, lovely link up play with Iz for the goal.
March: 5 - anonymous today. Should have been subbed earlier. Doesn't seem to have the confidence to take his man on anymore.

Groß: 7 - could have done better with an effort in the 2nd half but was a solid outlet. Not his best game for us but I still have lots of man love for the guy.
Murray: 7 - did all he could against two big CBs. We looked worse after he went off.

Ulloa: 5 - feeding off scraps, didn't impose himself though.
Kayal: 5 - anonymous. Not sure the advanced role suits him
Knockaert: 6 - extra point for THAT header. Kept us in it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Ryan 7 - great penalty save
Schelotto - 6
Duffy - 7
Dunk - 9
Bong - 5 not his day, goal down to him standing off
Izquierdo - 8
Stephens - 9.5 - ?best ever performance for us
Propper - 6
March - 7 - some good closing down defensively.
Gross - 7
Murray - 6

Ulloa - 6
Kayal - 6
Knockaert - wouldn't normally give a rating, due to the time on the pitch, but 7 for the goal line clearance!

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
6 - average

Ryan 7 - great penalty save
Schelotto - 6
Duffy - 7
Dunk - 9
Bong - 5 not his day, goal down to him standing off
Izquierdo - 8
Stephens - 9.5 - ?best ever performance for us
Propper - 6
March - 7 - some good closing down defensively.
Gross - 7
Murray - 6

Ulloa - 6
Kayal - 6
Knockaert - wouldn't normally give a rating, due to the time on the pitch, but 7 for the goal line clearance!
Do you really feel March warrants the same score of 7 as Duffy. Duffy far better performance than March today.

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Do you really feel March warrants the same score of 7 as Duffy. Duffy far better performance than March today.

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

Yes, I do. March co much good defensive work in the first and second half, played a part in the goal.

Duffy played okay, but IMO, wasn't as commanding as Dunk and missed a couple of headers. He could have been a 7.5, I suppose, but I definitely think March was a 7.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Probably, because we had the limited view of the game compared to Tony Gale. Gale was complimenting how much ground he covers, something you can't really pick up on when streaming a match. Tony Gale's opinion has obviously helped your match analysis of him.

Jose, Dunk, Bong and Schelloto had better games IMO

HAHA - clueless......you gotta laugh

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Ryan 8 for penalty save and distribution. Best ever Albion keeper?
Schelotto 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 7
Bong 6
March 5
Propper 8
Stephens 9
Izzy 8
Gross 7
Murray 7

Kayal 4
Ulloa 5
AK 7 for that clearance

Much better again but totally predictable substitutions and lambert, the most dull man in football, showed that a tactical change is sometimes worth making.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
So I was sat with the stoke fans today and they thought we were pretty darn good. But they thought the following: Dunk and Duffy immense. But they thought and I have to agree that March is stealing a living as a Premier footballer. What the hell does he do to get picked with such regularity??

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Schelotto who wasted countless opportunities for first time crosses/passes by trying and failing to beat his man? Good defensive display, not his usual self going forwards.
Bong (who I have defended tirelessly on here) the one most directly responsible other than Shaqiri himself for their goal?
Jose was so bloody good because Stephens repeatedly and quickly kept finding him out wide.
Dunk, I'll give you this one, ran him close.

Thought Schelotto was pretty poor defensively too today. Kept backing off and letting them cross with ease, in the build up to the goal had a relatively easy challenge to put the ball out for a throw but let it bounce and Jese was allowed to get the cross in. In the last 10 minutes he was just trotting back facing our goal while the Stoke players were driving forward with the ball just yards behind him.

He's a really strange player, makes things happen but not quite sure if anything he does is deliberate as he is always a heavy touch away from losing the ball. Also needs to cut out the dramatics after a shameful dive in the first half.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
March is stealing a living as a Premier footballer. What the hell does he do to get picked with such regularity??

Presumably he impresses in training, and CH feels that he's ready to step in when one or both of our other options is not at the races. You also have to consider our paper thin depth in wide areas.

Last edited:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Sorry I obviously don't understand this. 6 is average, a player has had a so-so match. Less than 6 and they are basically shit. So I only listened to the match on the radio but I thought the boys did a job today. Why are some of you giving our players 5, I really don't understand. When the fixtures came out I looked at Stoke away and thought loss. Some of you seem to think we should steamroller Stoke.

OK I'll try to get my head around this new Brighton.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry I obviously don't understand this. 6 is average, a player has had a so-so match. Less than 6 and they are basically shit. So I only listened to the match on the radio but I thought the boys did a job today. Why are some of you giving our players 5, I really don't understand. When the fixtures came out I looked at Stoke away and thought loss. Some of you seem to think we should steamroller Stoke.

OK I'll try to get my head around this new Brighton.

6 as an average was always the newspaper standard when I was growing up.

I do know that Portsmouth in the 80’s used to rate their youth team out of 5 each half, with 3 considered average.

I watched the game and Bong just worried me at times today, culminating in him standing off the player on the goal.....

just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Thanks for replying. whoscored has Bong as our worst player. Listening on the radio I was just so proud that we gave Stoke away a game. Sorry I'm coming over all emotional.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here