Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it all a bit flat today? If so, why?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think too many players are under-performing.

For me, you've got Ryan, March and Murray about the same level as last year.

Dunk, Bong, Stephens and Propper playing worse than last year. Factor in Bissouma taking time to get anywhere near the performances we were seeing from Gross. Montoya has been solid defensively but is no Bruno going forward.

Thank goodness Duffy at the back and Knockaert have been getting us out of trouble.
Yes I agree, put yourself as the chairman you’ve invested another £40m and seen no improvement you would start to question things. For me Dunk shouldn’t of got his place back so easily, AJ should be playing obviously PL quality, Bissouma looks like a punt on £3m not a £14m player in my book. Locadia I know people think he’s shit I actually don’t he just needs a run in the team.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I borrowed a season ticket for the front of ESU near the half way line (I normally sit WSU - shared ticket); I thought the NS were more coordinated than usual and sounded loud, almost as loud as Spuds. I reckon it's all down to acoustics. From WSU the NS usually sound disjointed and not V loud.

some friends were in the East near the away support, they said they couldn't hear the North at all

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shit weather, completely outplayed in the first half, shit kick off time, overly high expectations and no change in the starting line up. That’s how I see it, no shots in the first half won’t have helped the atmosphere for a home team.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
From where I was, centre WSU, I thought the north stand sounded good and loud when they got going. Considering the way the game was going in the first half I thought they were good. In second half until they scored their second and the tempo improved the atmosphere was good. We are pretty decent at getting behind the team, yes it can go a bit quiet at times, but that’s normal. We have got to stick together.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It's hard to get excited as a crowd when the team is just getting mugged off, as we basically were in the first half.

When we had that attacking spell in the second half the noise levels went bonkers. The team responded to that, too - and if Knocky had put that shot away the game would have been a different story. The North were pretty noisy, but only in spells - and the East Lower (where I was) was as flat as a witches tit.

Atmosphere at the Amex (and any other ground, really) is a Chicken and Egg thing. One needs to come first - the crowd rousing the players, or the players rousing the crowd. It almost always falls to the latter.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think from what I’ve been reading on here is that fans just couldn’t understand why Brighton or its manager can’t pick a team or come up with tactics to outplay and overrun a team like Spurs who are only in the Champions League, have some of the best players in the world and haven’t lost 3 games in a row in the Prem for years.

What most fans can't understand is why the same team can play so differently in two halves of a game. If they were dire all game put it down to the opposition but to change around like they have in 3 games on the trot tells me there is something not right with the set up.

Not sure why Andone was named as a sub , if he is fit then surely he is better than Locadia.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think too many players are under-performing.

For me, you've got Ryan, March and Murray about the same level as last year.

Dunk, Bong, Stephens and Propper playing worse than last year. Factor in Bissouma taking time to get anywhere near the performances we were seeing from Gross. Montoya has been solid defensively but is no Bruno going forward.

Thank goodness Duffy at the back and Knockaert have been getting us out of trouble.

The irony being that both Duffy and AK had long bad patches last year.....

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I felt like it was because we didn't offer anything in the first half. Spurs were a team after 3 losses on the bounce, fragile and with an inexperienced goalkeeper. We should have got at them and made them feel pressured because they were not an overly confident side. We didn't. We let them have the ball and caused them no trouble.

Second half was better but then we conceded and we dropped to the same level as the first half.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agreed, the Brighton that played Man U were totally different to the one that played today, and the difference was Gross. Despite having a poor start to the season by his own standards he fills the space between Murray & the midfield and allows us to close down with energy.

We can’t play that 4-3-3 again, though it was 4-5-1 for most of today. It’s so predictable. Opposition get ball, can’t break us down, we get it, clear it in to no man’s land, they get it back, repeat and rinse. That’s equals and creates yer flatness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference is absolutely Gross, and rather than try and do a like-for-like swop we just put another midfielder in there. The only time we've looked ourselves was when CH pushed Propper into that role in the second half against Saints - but with Stephens injured that won't be repeated any time soon, and anyway Propper doesn't have the pressing anbility of Gross. I'd like to see AJ in there, and City away is as good as any to try it out.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
It's hard to get excited as a crowd when the team is just getting mugged off, as we basically were in the first half.

When we had that attacking spell in the second half the noise levels went bonkers. The team responded to that, too - and if Knocky had put that shot away the game would have been a different story. The North were pretty noisy, but only in spells - and the East Lower (where I was) was as flat as a witches tit.

Atmosphere at the Amex (and any other ground, really) is a Chicken and Egg thing. One needs to come first - the crowd rousing the players, or the players rousing the crowd. It almost always falls to the latter.

An excellent post sir!

For me its about attitude... Against Man Utd, the team came out the traps and mudered them in the first half. The noise levels were off the scale.

Against Tottenham, the attitude was cagey (let's keep it tight and see how it goes) - so any momentum was lost until we were behind and chasing the game.

We need to start ALL home games on the front foot with a high tempo and aggression - they is when we are at our best. Yeah we may come undone sometimes (Chelsea, Liverpool maybe) but we will win more than than we will lose. I think we could have beaten Spurs yesterday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rain just put a damper on everything. Hard to pretend it didn't. Probably the same for the players. It felt like Withdean, even in row M. Could have done with a poncho.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
An excellent post sir!

For me its about attitude... Against Man Utd, the team came out the traps and mudered them in the first half. The noise levels were off the scale.

Against Tottenham, the attitude was cagey (let's keep it tight and see how it goes) - so any momentum was lost until we were behind and chasing the game.

We need to start ALL home games on the front foot with a high tempo and aggression - they is when we are at our best. Yeah we may come undone sometimes (Chelsea, Liverpool maybe) but we will win more than than we will lose. I think we could have beaten Spurs yesterday.

Sums it up perfectly for me. Think we missed a good chance to beat them yesterday. Big shame. Sitting deep just doesn't seem to suit us. We dont get any rhythm, panic when we do get the ball, and inevitably concede anyway at some point through a mistake after relentlessly having to defend.

Kemp Town Boys

May 1, 2018
Rain just put a damper on everything. Hard to pretend it didn't. Probably the same for the players. It felt like Withdean, even in row M. Could have done with a poncho.

Are you really suggesting the performance on and off the pitch was down to the weather? Unbelievable! Poncho ffs. Are you a fan or a plastic?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's going to be the excuse for tonight's subdued atmosphere?

I'm going to go with:-

'Too warm, it felt like a preseason friendly'.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Planets not aligned"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here