Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Academy Awarded Category One Status (merged)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fortunate suggests it was a random occurrence; I'm sure there has been a great amount of hard work, by a large number of people, to achieve the rating.

Of course, what IS fortunate is that we have a very rich chairman who is a genuine fan of the club and who has a long-term vision of owning a financially self-sustaining club.
We are fortunate to have TB, and fortunate to be a category 1 academy thanks to the hard work put into the scheme by everyone at the club.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
There are a number of lower league clubs who have abandoned their academy setups. Haven't Crawley ? It becomes much less attractive when Cat one clubs can give you a couple of days notice that they are going to be popping in to have a look, like one of the players and sign him on for a few thousand. Cat one academies are not protected from this but the sliding scales involved make the compensation much larger.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm pretty sure we get more funding, but it actually costs more money because we have to employ a number of extra staff/coaches as a requirement for cat. 1, so it does end up costing more... But it doesn't count towards FFP so as long as TB is willing to fund it then it shouldn't matter too much.

That makes sense.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The academy pathway is fully open. We might well see Walton playing a lot of games in the Championship. How do people feel about that? I'll say **** it - let's see what the England u19 keeper can do in the fierce heat of the most competitive league in the world. If he swims then he could be our next big pay cheque.

Or, he could be the star player in a back five that takes the division by storm?

Not likely, but you never know!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't think so , we need to be cherry picking from these types of club as the compo they get is virtually nothing.

Correct - we've got to now use the smaller clubs to our advantage as others have done to us over the years. Nice that the FA etc have recognised the sleeping giant of BHA though. A cat A academy is one of the things that suggest what size the club is. Massive for us.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Correct - we've got to now use the smaller clubs to our advantage as others have done to us over the years. Nice that the FA etc have recognised the sleeping giant of BHA though. A cat A academy is one of the things that suggest what size the club is. Massive for us.

On first reading I thought it was tounge in cheek but then I noticed who posted it :rolleyes:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is excellent.

The final missing piece for us now is Premier League status, and without doubt that will come at some point.

What is very important with this grading is the standard of the opposition the trainees will play, and also being able to sell the club to parents as Category 1.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Talking of training grounds- how is your new one coming along?

Nicely leveled, just got to put down the grass seed now

article-0-017C6CA2000004B0-497_468x313.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What is the alternative, give up on youth development completely?

The system doesn't become fair just because we have a wealthy enough owner to get on the right side of it. The Elite Performance Plan is just another scheme to make sure the rich get richer at the expense of the poor, however they like to dress it up. It's just lucky for us that we're now one of the rich.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The system doesn't become fair just because we have a wealthy enough owner to get on the right side of it. The Elite Performance Plan is just another scheme to make sure the rich get richer at the expense of the poor, however they like to dress it up. It's just lucky for us that we're now one of the rich.

Exactly. I am so conflicted by this state of affairs. I deplore the system, believing it will inevitably eventually lead to the destruction of the lower league clubs, which we have so recently been a part of ourselves. On the other hand, I'm hugely excited about the mid-term future that the Albion now has, all as a result of a well-intentioned Chairman who is a fan pouring money into the club I love.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
I for one am happy. Means I should be able to see the Toon u21 in Lancing (hopefully)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whilst not a great system, we are now one of the major players in it. Well done to all at the club who have achieved this. Long term ambition for the club - is this still in question for some?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On first reading I thought it was tounge in cheek but then I noticed who posted it :rolleyes:

Half an half but got the nibble I was after. Now do excuse me but I believe this is a thread about cat1 clubs - bye bye now :wave:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here