Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of season report: Albion - A, Crystal Palace - C

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
https://whisp.rs/2x4sClv

"Seven points clear of the relegation zone, closer to a top-half finish than the dreaded drop, this has been a wonderfully successful first Premier League season for Brighton.

The Seagulls began the campaign among the favourites to finish in the bottom three, yet Chris Hughton’s men have, at every turn, looked every bit a top-flight outfit. Through organisation and efficiency, not to mention key performances from previously unheralded players such as Glenn Murray and Lewis Dunk, Brighton have exceeded expectations."

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm intrigued as to what they meant by this in the Huddersfield section:

".... while others, like Tom Ince and Steve Mounié, may not have set the world alight individually, certainly contributed to form a great white."

anyone?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'm intrigued as to what they meant by this in the Huddersfield section:

".... while others, like Tom Ince and Steve Mounié, may not have set the world alight individually, certainly contributed to form a great white."

anyone?

Shark?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Standout stat – Brighton centre-back Lewis Dunk managed to put the ball into his own net four times in 2017/18."

There but the grace of God goes Duffy, who could easily have had 4 own goals himself. When will these journalists realise that if you're going to be top of the Prem "Most Blocks" charts you're going to pick up a few own goals along the way. Here I see Duffy (59) and Dunk (58) were head and shoulders ahead of the next nearest in the mid-40s.

In Major League Baseball 2017 the guy who struck out the most (208 - Judge, Yankees) is also the guy that hit the second most amount of home runs (52). Any journo who dismissed Judge for striking out too much would be regarded as a fool, but over here pundits and journos get away with it year after year. It wouldn't surprise me if the "4 own goals" thing is the reason why Dunk is well down the pecking order of centre backs for England.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Newcastle - "meagre means", "shoestring". Can you remind me again what their wage bill what their losses were for 2016/17

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It wouldn't surprise me if the "4 own goals" thing is the reason why Dunk is well down the pecking order of centre backs for England.

I know England have had some bad manager's and selections in the past, but surely Southgate would see beyond this!?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know England have had some bad manager's and selections in the past, but surely Southgate would see beyond this!?

You think so? He picked Phil Jones ahead of Dunk. Jones is a walking liability - cost Man Utd the Cup Final vs Chelsea on Saturday, I'd expect him to be sent off in the World Cup for that challenge.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You think so? He picked Phil Jones ahead of Dunk. Jones is a walking liability - cost Man Utd the Cup Final vs Chelsea on Saturday, I'd expect him to be sent off in the World Cup for that challenge.

True, it was a ridiculous tackle. But Jones has international and European experience, I doubt he's picked ahead of Dunk because of own goal stats.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
BEST OF on Sky.
There is a 30 min 'Best of Brighton 2017/18' on Sky but I cant find it. Caught the last seconds the other day. Anyone know if it will be repeated. Not on TV Guide.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Nice read but good grief they need to employ some proof-readers / editors.

"Newcastle needed additions in several key potions ahead of this season..."

Eye of newc and toe of frog?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Newcastle needed additions in several key potions ahead of this season..."

Eye of newc and toe of frog?

A season of double double toil and trouble too. Fire burn and cauldron bubble. Watch it cool with baboon’s blood then the charm is firm and good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here