Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely palace can't...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As crap as we are playing, I cannot see those teams making up nine points on us. Not forgetting the goal difference. We are playing shite at the minute, but we only need 17th place and its 120 million. Hopefully we can sort the playing side out in the summer.

I do wonder at your ability to spend this windfall, and, presumably , the Yank investors money wisely.
W
In your first season back in the top flight, you did spend like a drunken sailor, and, in fact, panic bought so many players, you had to send some out on loan because Worzel couldn't fit them in his squad.
Since then, you haven't really impressed with your purchases, strikers who struggle to score, french mid fielders that cost a fortune in wages, haven't really impressed, etc. And now, Adeboyor,okay, a loan, but the wages must be extortionate just to warm the bench.

What makes you think this summer will be any better?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I do wonder at your ability to spend this windfall, and, presumably , the Yank investors money wisely.
W
In your first season back in the top flight, you did spend like a drunken sailor, and, in fact, panic bought so many players, you had to send some out on loan because Worzel couldn't fit them in his squad.
Since then, you haven't really impressed with your purchases, strikers who struggle to score, french mid fielders that cost a fortune in wages, haven't really impressed, etc. And now, Adeboyor,okay, a loan, but the wages must be extortionate just to warm the bench.

You've conveniently missed the outstanding signings of Dann, Mcarthur, Puncheon, Ledley, etc. The first three in particular have been vital in our success over the last couple of seasons.

Cabaye has been one of our best players this season. He's carrying an injury at the moment but for the first half of the season he was consistently performing at a very high standard.

As for strikers that struggle to score, Connor Wickham at 22 has excellent potential and seems to have learned how to put the ball in the net in recent weeks. Despite being injured for large parts of the season he's now scored 5 and assisted 3 in 12 starts.

It's true that in our first season we seemed totally lost in the transfer market and it's also true that we should've invested more in January, but in the other windows we've been very succesful. We've assembled an excellent starting XI with a reasonable amount of depth for a comparably modest sum. While we've certainly made mistakes, it would be totally unfair and misleading to suggest that Palace have been poor in the transfer market since our promotion.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You've conveniently missed the outstanding signings of Dann, Mcarthur, Puncheon, Ledley, etc. The first three in particular have been vital in our success over the last couple of seasons.

Cabaye has been one of our best players this season. He's carrying an injury at the moment but for the first half of the season he was consistently performing at a very high standard.

As for strikers that struggle to score, Connor Wickham at 22 has excellent potential and seems to have learned how to put the ball in the net in recent weeks. Despite being injured for large parts of the season he's now scored 5 and assisted 3 in 12 starts.

It's true that in our first season we seemed totally lost in the transfer market and it's also true that we should've invested more in January, but in the other windows we've been very succesful. We've assembled an excellent starting XI with a reasonable amount of depth for a comparably modest sum. While we've certainly made mistakes, it would be totally unfair and misleading to suggest that Palace have been poor in the transfer market since our promotion.
Genuine question Paddy. Of your remaining 10 fixtures, where do you see you getting, (on present form) the 7 points required to guarantee staying up ?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You've conveniently missed the outstanding signings of Dann, Mcarthur, Puncheon, Ledley, etc.

Three out of four of those were signed by Pulis in the one window when you gave him what he needed to dig you out of the mire. No great signings to shout about before this. Nothing much to crow about after this.

The Pulis signings are, as you would expect, solid pros in their late twenties on big money. Pardew is now making Palace's traditional expensive Hollywood signings of once great players in their dotage. What has happened to the academy players? No new ones seem to have broken through since you've been in the top division, the next big thing is on loan again and I'm not aware of you having anyone else learning their trade at Championship clubs. Wasn't this supposed to be the Palace 2010 model?

Wickham may end up being a player, he has the attributes to be good enough to warrant the multi millions that various clubs have invested in him. However Sunderland fans will tell you that a run of form at the end of the season doesn't necessarily mean he is going to be any better the following year.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
None story, they won't go down.... Villa already gone then Norwich and one other although it won't be Palace..... as much as we would like that, however live on sky next year in the Premiership would it not be nice to hammer them twice..... and then send them down..... That my friends would be sweet revenge....

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Oh that's alright then. You relax.

And enjoy the FA Cup final.

Thanks, pity we won't be in it.

W

It cannot be any worse can it. Our buys haven't been that bad, okay our first transfer window was hilarious. But we have made good buys. Adebayor will be gone in the summer(I assume) so not really bothered about that. Wickham despite my doubts seems to be coming good, hopefully it lasts. At the minute nobody is really performing apart from one or two players, who were with us in the championship.
To be honest I'm not sure that Pardew is that great in the transfer department, saying that though if he doesn't sort things out he may not be here.

Connor Wickham always has been and always will be very average. Wouldn't get in our team.

Don't be silly.

None story, they won't go down.... Villa already gone then Norwich and one other although it won't be Palace..... as much as we would like that, however live on sky next year in the Premiership would it not be nice to hammer them twice..... and then send them down..... That my friends would be sweet revenge....

That's about the only scenario that would make up for the play off glory, now that was sweet.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
None story, they won't go down.... Villa already gone then Norwich and one other although it won't be Palace.

(Shhh! We all know they won't go down. Just one more win will give them 36 points, which with a superior goal difference would have seen a team safe in eight of the last ten years, but if we admit this we don't have the fun of making their time waiting for the next win as uncomfortable as possible. Okay? Good! Let's get back to the Palace fans)

Yes its unlikely that they'll go down, but who knows? Stranger things have happened....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sure they will stick with Pardew whatever and won't go down. Next year is when the rot will set in, they might have to put the new cladding on hold

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Genuine question Paddy. Of your remaining 10 fixtures, where do you see you getting, (on present form) the 7 points required to guarantee staying up ?

I honestly have no idea. In December we'd have expected to take 15 points+ from these last 10 games, at the moment it looks like we'd be lucky to get 3. Injuries have totally ruined our season, but if we can put together something approaching a fully fit team we're just as good as Stoke or Southampton.

If we can change from world beaters in December to whipping boys in February, I don't suppose it's impossible that our form could turn again. Liverpool have been extremely kind to us over the last few seasons and we did the double over them last year, so hopefully we can get something on Sunday to bring some confidence back.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I honestly have no idea. In December we'd have expected to take 15 points+ from these last 10 games, at the moment it looks like we'd be lucky to get 3. Injuries have totally ruined our season, but if we can put together something approaching a fully fit team we're just as good as Stoke or Southampton.

If we can change from world beaters in December to whipping boys in February, I don't suppose it's impossible that our form could turn again. Liverpool have been extremely kind to us over the last few seasons and we did the double over them last year, so hopefully we can get something on Sunday to bring some confidence back.

Your injury list, hilarious as it was, has definitely put you right in the shite. I think you are meeting Liverpool at the right time...for Liverpool.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
They won't need 7 points; 3 will probably be enough this year.

Well that's the point, on their form over the last ten league games that is what they have collected just 3 points, so if they maintain that form it will be close. They really do have some stiff games in the next 5/6 so I believe anything can happen. Liverpool (h) Man U (A) TBA because of the cup, Leicester (H) West Ham (A) and then Norwich (H) followed by Arsenal away. Tough set of fixtures there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

World beaters, we were only the Kings Of Europe in December..

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's a massive outsider and I know it won't happen but the ultimate season is still ON.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's a massive outsider and I know it won't happen but the ultimate season is still ON.

We're at 2-1, they are still 33-1. Probably worth a couple of quid.

Once they've lost their next 3 to Liverpool, Leicester and West Ham you won't get those odds again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here