Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King Alfred Development - Rob Starr, Crest Nicholson, No 50m Pool

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree. Brighton was crying out for a Guilford Spectrum type project.
Guildford doesn't have a 50m pool either. What is it about the Spectrum you were hoping for here?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't suppose you could define 'inappropriately encouraged'? If so, could you point us to any evidence of these allegations?
While, as I said, I'm not wanting to make accusations myself, this if from the save hove website - re the current process...

"It all reads like the public are being boxed in. That is kind of what ended up happening last time when the Labour Administration armtwisted a seriously out of order planning consent for the Karis scheme. A dozen planning officers had signed a “back off” email about determination of the KA plans along the way and the vote of the Lib Dem from Brunswick & Adelaide on Planning secured their one vote majority (6 weeks ahead of the local election, when Labour fielded a candidate in that ward who would not win). The day after the consent at Planning, the Development Control Manager, Maggie Bryan, was no longer employed by BHCC, the West Area Manager, Ian Coomber submitted his resignation and he left 3 months later, and Luke Perkins, the case officer for 18 months, left 6 months later. A lot of damage was done to the Planning Dept. I hope both they and we are not being stitched up AGAIN."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I mainly want an ice rink in Brighton, it is generally more popular than swimming, plus an ice rink can heat the pool and is more energy efficient if they are built together.
I'm too old to care about ice-skating now, but agree it would be a good thing for the city to have.

This time round we get to make comments on the proposal before the plans go in. From the save Hove site, I too would like to see it tailored for those walking along the esplanade, so they can stop for a drink or meal, and face out to the sea in a cafe that opens to the elements when the weather favours it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Guildford does have a 50m pool. Well two actually. Surrey Sports Park and the Lido.

But you are correct the spectrum doesn't.
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm too old to care about ice-skating now, but agree it would be a good thing for the city to have.

This time round we get to make comments on the proposal before the plans go in. From the save Hove site, I too would like to see it tailored for those walking along the esplanade, so they can stop for a drink or meal, and face out to the sea in a cafe that opens to the elements when the weather favours it.

I've got a few years left for ice skating :) but I want it for the younger people mainly. It is something every city should have but was never in the council's plans at the KA.

Aside from that, I think on the seafront and for a sports hub we should have a building we can marvel at.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How many of the 565 flats will be available for first time buyers I wander?

20% only designated as "affordable" the other 80% will be unaffordable. That percentage could be whittled down during the planning process or disappear altogether due to unforeseen circumstances, such as greed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
20% only designated as "affordable" the other 80% will be unaffordable.
Wrong. The 'affordable' housing will also be unaffordable, making it a nice round 100%

That percentage could be whittled down during the planning process or disappear altogether due to unforeseen circumstances, such as greed.
:lol:

How many of the 565 flats will be available for first time buyers I wander?
It's only an estimate at this stage, but roughly zero.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Could've had an interesting iconic Frank Gehry design that really would've put B&H on the map, but thanks to NIMBY morons like Save Hove and the Regency nazis, it never got built.

Yup, shocking lack of vision. Still, at least we've got the promise of loads more flat-pack flats for BuyToLet landlords to get rich quick on, off the backs of their little-option tenants.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup, shocking lack of vision. Still, at least we've got the promise of loads more flat-pack flats for BuyToLet landlords to get rich quick on, off the backs of their little-option tenants.
True, every cloud an all that.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The K2 in Crawley makes an absolute MOCKERY of what Brighton have in terms of leisure facilities, even the ancient Triangle Centere is better than anything we have and likely to be better than redeveloped King Alfred.

The planning department in Brighton has to be one of the least effective, least pragmatic and least cooperative in the country.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The K2 in Crawley makes an absolute MOCKERY of what Brighton have in terms of leisure facilities, even the ancient Triangle Centere is better than anything we have and likely to be better than redeveloped King Alfred.

The planning department in Brighton has to be one of the least effective, least pragmatic and least cooperative in the country.
I believe K2 was built entirely using the funds from selling the old site. The council are having to pay large sums towards King Alfred.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Er...are competition pools 50 m? They should really be olympic size pools. Does Brighton even have one? It is pretty embarrassing not to.

25m pools are short course competition pools. Guildford Spectrum has one - not a 50m pool. K2 has a 50m pool which is not Olympic sized as it has only 8 lanes. There are no Olympic sized pools in the South East outside of London.

25 and 50m pools are competition pools. The distinction between a (non-'Olympic') 50m pool and an 'Olympic' pool, is not the NUMBER of lanes, but the WIDTH of those lanes. A standard competition pool has 2m wide lanes - this includes many 50m pools (including K2). An 'Olympic' pool has 2.5m wide lanes. A TRUE Olympic pool (i.e. hosting the Games) only needs 8 competition lanes, but needs a 'wash' area outside lanes 1 and 8 (so those swimmers don't suffer from currents re-bounding off the side walls).

There are other 50m pools in the South - Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth and Aldershot Garrison to name two (plus Millfield School, Bristol, Bath Uni, Plymouth in the SW)

My mistake I thought it did. I mainly want an ice rink in Brighton, it is generally more popular than swimming.

Nonsense.

Approximately 10 million people in Great Britain swim once a year. Of these people, 4.9 million
adults swim once a month and 2.8 million of these swim once a week
(Source: Active People, Sport
England).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here