Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Elderly drivers.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I love going to Aldi and lidle and wandering around the middle sections with all the bargains. Bought some brilliant stuff in there that actually was pretty good quality. I bought a electric sander for my model wooden ship building and it cost £15 and is one of the best electric tools sets I have ever bought.

Wouldn't do my weekly shopping there, but they are fascinating places

I get some fantastic food at Lidls. We had ostrich steaks for dinner last Sunday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know or rather knew a top chef who always maintained that LIDL and Aldi vegetables were far better quality than any of the so called top supermarkets including Waitrose and Sainsburys who many rave about.

My wife likes the selection and layout of the newish Aldi in Rustington.the only downside being that they do not have a fresh bakery section as per many other branches and most LIDL.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The facts, not opinion.

Of all the accidents, men accounted for 65 per cent of them and drivers between the ages of 16-25 were responsible for 155,479 alone.

UK drivers over the age of 75 were accountable for the least amount of accidents.

facts delightfully framed without context and differing terms :lolol:

i.e. whats the proportion of male to female drivers, accidents per mile; what is 155k as a percentage? is least accidents by 1%, 10%, and in what proportion to miles? prove anything with stats if you present them to suit. interesting, if probably out of date, BBC article

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I once parked at the bottom end car park at Asda in Hollingbury at seven in the morning - nobody within fifty car spaces of my little Ford Focus.
Twenty minutes later when I came back I had two cars parked either side of me despite the empty car park.
They were parked less than a foot from either side of my car doors fffsake!
I had to squeeze into my passenger door to get in :moo:

I put matchsticks in their front tyre air valves to teach them a lesson :ohmy:

I tell you this as at 61 I'm considered an elderly Old Git driver :thumbsup:

In sparsely populated car parks, I ALWAYS go and park next to someone, for my amusement. I don't box them in though, I'm not an animal.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
I don't own a car so I am not particularly impacted by a lot of the horror stories that drivers across the country experience.

However, I was walking through town recently and I saw this elderly person park their car in a disabled bay, very well I hasten to add, and then after getting out of the car and locking it, unfurled their white stick and proceeded to saunter off down Broad Street. :D

Be careful in Seaford, pedestrian or driver.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I recently had a problem with my legs, so getting in and out of my little Merc SLK was difficult, so I would park away from everyone else so I could open the door fully, in order to get out comfortably. The number of times I would get back to my car to find someone had parked right next to my door, making i t impossible for me to get in, when there were hundreds of other spots to choose from !

I know what you mean, I had to have an acl replacement after being knocked off my bike. Once I was allowed to drive again, i had to open the door wide to be able to get in or out. Someone always seemed to park close. I don't know what he answer is if you are temporarily disabled, there is no badge for that.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I don't own a car so I am not particularly impacted by a lot of the horror stories that drivers across the country experience.

However, I was walking through town recently and I saw this elderly person park their car in a disabled bay, very well I hasten to add, and then after getting out of the car and locking it, unfurled their white stick and proceeded to saunter off down Broad Street. :D

Be careful in Seaford, pedestrian or driver.

I guess the equivalent version for non drivers would be getting on a bus with only one passenger and sitting next to them leaving all the rest of the seats free. A friend was recounting this story to me only this morning.:lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I guess the equivalent version for non drivers would be getting on a bus with only one passenger and sitting next to them leaving all the rest of the seats free. A friend was recounting this story to me only this morning.:lolol:

I can imagine [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION] doing this :eek:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In some supermarkets - or other car parks - there isn't much space. Even more so in some of the older motorway service stations where the car parks were laid out when cars were much smaller than they are now - you can't get out of a car without the door touching the car next to you. Fact of life - live with it, or park somewhere else.
Is your parking always done in the Gloucester area or do you sometimes come into Sussex? If you do, could you give me an idea of where and when?

PS I can honestly say I've never opened a door on to another car. That's not good driving, it's just respecting people you don't know.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
The facts, not opinion.

Of all the accidents, men accounted for 65 per cent of them and drivers between the ages of 16-25 were responsible for 155,479 alone.

UK drivers over the age of 75 were accountable for the least amount of accidents.

Sorry, while I agree with most of the points you've made you can't cherry pick stats. The number of accidents might be fewer for the older age group but that's possibly accounted for by the fact there are fewer older drivers. A smaller number of accidents doesn't prove they're safer drivers. The proportion of drivers in each age group has to be compared to the portion of accidents attributable to those age groups to get an idea of the relative safety attributable to an age group.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
With reference to supermarket car parks couple of points. One, most modern car are wider than their predecessors but the spaces haven't grown in width. To make them wider obviously reduces the number of punters can go and spend money in their establishments.
Two, I have had two what the body repair shops call " the supermarket crease " both caused by children opening doors with great gusto with no regard to see if the door was going to hit a/ my car. When I remonstrated with the parents all I got was verbal abuse. So I took the number plate and my insurance company did the rest. One off the perks of having a golfing partner in the business.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patreon
May 30, 2014
Worthing
A little subject related 'joke'...

An elderly lady is at home listening to the radio when a traffick bulletin comes on informing that a car is driving the wrong way round the M25. Knowing her equally elderly husband is driving on that road, she phones him immediately and tells him, to which he replies 'One car? Your joking they are all doing it!!!!'

Sorry.....

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Looking at these figures posted, how many accidents are caused by elderly drivers? Dithering, not knowing where they are going, hardly being able to see over the top of the steering wheel, sitting in the wrong lane on the motor way, amongst other things. I drive about 55,000 miles a year and some of the things I have witnessed are unbelievable. I was following an elderly couple down the A20, when it came to the junction for M25, the driver stopped in the middle of the road and started map reading. Yes, drivers of all ages are bad drivers but for doing the most stupid things, the elderly take the biscuit.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
A little subject related 'joke'...

An elderly lady is at home listening to the radio when a traffick bulletin comes on informing that a car is driving the wrong way round the M25. Knowing her equally elderly husband is driving on that road, she phones him immediately and tells him, to which he replies 'One car? Your joking they are all doing it!!!!'

Sorry.....

Must have been my Father in Law.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sorry, while I agree with most of the points you've made you can't cherry pick stats. The number of accidents might be fewer for the older age group but that's possibly accounted for by the fact there are fewer older drivers. A smaller number of accidents doesn't prove they're safer drivers. The proportion of drivers in each age group has to be compared to the portion of accidents attributable to those age groups to get an idea of the relative safety attributable to an age group.

Take up your point with the insurance companies. That's the reason I pay lower premiums.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Retired drivers do a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the miles driven of full time workers. I found those governmnent stat's and posted them earlier on in this thread. That would be the biggest determinate of relatively low insurance premiums.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Retired drivers do a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the miles driven of full time workers. I found those governmnent stat's and posted them earlier on in this thread. That would be the biggest determinate of relatively low insurance premiums.

We still manage 12,000 miles a year. When you're retired you can go out for days, visit relatives, go abroad etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here