Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Professor Stephen Hawking RIP

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Unbelievable achievements by a genius dealt such a bad hand. The Newton / Einstein of our generation.

RIP Prof.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seems to be headlines in most of the international newspapers today.

He was someone who made you proud of our national achievements.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Can you imagine him now, up there, talking with Galileo, Newton & Einstein - he's in another world.

I imagine he would be a bit pi55ed off, to find out he was wrong about Heaven and all that.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
An absolutely incredible man. A genius of physics and I always loved how he still kept his sarcastic sense of humour despite all the challenges he faced.

I literally watched The Theory of Everything last weekend. I think that's made this news hit me a bit harder than it otherwise would have.

RIP

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This great man will transcend time like no other in our lifetime. RIP

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just heard the story on the news of how he dispelled the possibility of time travel.

He had a time-capsule buried that said he was holding a party that evening and if a time traveller found this, they were to come to the party.
No uninvited guests turned up thus dispelling the possibility of time travel ...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just heard the story on the news of how he dispelled the possibility of time travel.

He had a time-capsule buried that said he was holding a party that evening and if a time traveller found this, they were to come to the party.
No uninvited guests turned up thus dispelling the possibility of time travel ...
Time travellers could well be regulated by a series of strict laws, thus preventing the appearance of said time-traveller, from the future.

Gutted at the news of his passing. Some humbling comments here. The true reflection is that as someone mentioned, everytime he spoke, people listened. Shame the Governments and corporations didn't in his warnings of catastrophic damage to the environment that we are currently doing. A true hero.

RIP Prof Hawking.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Time travellers could well be regulated by a series of strict laws, thus preventing the appearance of said time-traveller, from the future.

Hawkings was of the view that time travel was possible excepting that we could never produce enough energy to move physical forms down timelines.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
hawkins.jpg

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
A truly great Briton - and one who has done an enormous amount for science, academia and for the wider world too. I could google it, but did he turn down a knighthood or was he simply never offered one. When I think of Sir Philip Green, and Sir Dave Brailsford, not to mention the proliferation of footballing knights, I do wonder.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A truly great Briton - and one who has done an enormous amount for science, academia and for the wider world too. I could google it, but did he turn down a knighthood or was he simply never offered one. When I think of Sir Philip Green, and Sir Dave Brailsford, not to mention the proliferation of footballing knights, I do wonder.
He turned one down due to a disagreement with the government policy on funding for science at the time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy - last Thursday...

“Others knew me in different forms. I have been quite popular in my time,” he says, adding, “Some even read my books.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060hy01

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here