Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not sure why you are bringing in birthplace, perhaps because you see someone who is born abroad as part of the problem? But it’s reassuingly not the case for Londoners, less than 40% foreign-born but 60% voted for remain. Very healthy. A progressive city. Also Brighton overwhelmingly Remain.

And MoS is ok

Just pointing out London is rather unique. As I have said elsewhere anyone self-identifying as a 'progressive' or waving a progressive flag is usually in danger of dissapperaing up their own backside.

Sussex voted Leave etc.

Apart from his student politics opinions ... yes I would agree.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Just pointing out London is rather unique. As I have said elsewhere anyone self-identifying as a 'progressive' or waving a progressive flag is usually in danger of dissapperaing up their own backside.

Sussex voted Leave etc.

Apart from his student politics opinions ... yes I would agree.

If you wish to randomly quote immigration figures and state how many foreigners are born in a city because you're a swivel eyed, right wing knuckle dragger obsessed with such things, that's fine, but please don't randomly mention me in the same posts. Thank-you.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Boris has that x factor that appeals beyond party lines. Which is why he could win in a 'Labour city' twice. Using your criteria he does represent the majority view in the UK though.

London is a labour city, the leafy commuter belt not so much.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not sure why you are bringing in birthplace, perhaps because you see someone who is born abroad as part of the problem? But it’s reassuingly not the case for Londoners, less than 40% foreign-born but 60% voted for remain. Very healthy. A progressive city. Also Brighton overwhelmingly Remain.

And MoS is ok

Why was mentioning where a person is born less relevant or perhaps even deemed unacceptable than say mentioning Leave voters level of education, age and income if your aim is to try and discuss the demographic of those people that voted.

If The Guardian deems it relevant then why not [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION].

https://www.theguardian.com/news/da...nd-demographics-where-the-brexit-vote-was-won

Local authorities with a high proportion of people born outside the UK, typically in London, also voted to remain in the UK.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Why was mentioning where a person is born less relevant or perhaps even deemed unacceptable than say mentioning Leave voters level of education, age and income if your aim is to try and discuss the demographic of those people that voted.

If The Guardian deems it relevant then why not [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION].

https://www.theguardian.com/news/da...nd-demographics-where-the-brexit-vote-was-won

Local authorities with a high proportion of people born outside the UK, typically in London, also voted to remain in the UK.

Um, ok. So it went

HG - London is the Remain City
JC -Well nearly 40% living in London are foreign-born
HG -Not sure why you are bringing in birthplace, perhaps because you see someone who is born abroad as part of the problem? But it’s reassuingly not the case for Londoners, less than 40% foreign-born but 60% voted for remain.
You - Why was mentioning where a person is born less relevant or perhaps even deemed unacceptable than say mentioning Leave voters level of education, age and income if your aim is to try and discuss the demographic of those people that voted.

Usually I’d move on as I couldn’t be arsed but not sure your post is relevant in any way. Let me know

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Um, ok. So it went

HG - London is the Remain City
JC -Well nearly 40% living in London are foreign-born
HG -Not sure why you are bringing in birthplace, perhaps because you see someone who is born abroad as part of the problem? But it’s reassuingly not the case for Londoners, less than 40% foreign-born but 60% voted for remain.
You - Why was mentioning where a person is born less relevant or perhaps even deemed unacceptable than say mentioning Leave voters level of education, age and income if your aim is to try and discuss the demographic of those people that voted.

Usually I’d move on as I couldn’t be arsed but not sure your post is relevant in any way. Let me know

Why challenge this part then .......... if you are discussing the reason for why an area voted the way they did why aren't you sure 'of its relevance' if it has already been highlighted as a factor of voting intentions within an area that has a unique demographic of this particular point.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's very strange, because 3 months ago our Government dropped plans for a lorry park at Stanford and The Road Haulage Bill has been put on ice rather than in front of parliament as well. Still, I'm sure it's all part of a cunning plan and HM Government and fully functioning, fully staffed Whitehall departments know exactly what they're doing though.:thumbsup:

Tally ho and Rule Britannia etc.

Don’t fret, the Bill was introduced to parliament last week, its got a snazzy new name but its purpose to legislate for life outside the EU is the same.
Nothing strange about the lorry park either, when you say dropped implying something strange going on what you should have said was stopped because of a judicial review and planning permission for an alternative site with interim alternatives to be in place by march 2019 is now under consultation?
The lorry park at Stanford as an alternative to operation stack has been protested by the good people of kent since well before the referendum, people don’t like a huge car park in their back garden apparently……..who knew.

Tally Ho and Rule Britannia.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why challenge this part then .......... if you are discussing the reason for why an area voted the way they did why aren't you sure 'of its relevance' if it has already been highlighted as a factor of voting intentions within an area that has a unique demographic of this particular point.

Northern Ireland voted remain, the region with the lowest number of foreign born, and London voted remain, the region with the highest number of foreign born. Birmingham voted leave, with an 18% foreign born population, Liverpool voted remain with a 7% foreign born population.
There is not a strong correlation between how an area voted and the numbers of foreign born residing there.
However there is a strong correlation to level of education, the less educated, the more likely to vote leave, and the higher the levels of education, the more likely to vote remain.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Northern Ireland voted remain, the region with the lowest number of foreign born, and London voted remain, the region with the highest number of foreign born. Birmingham voted leave, with an 18% foreign born population, Liverpool voted remain with a 7% foreign born population.
There is not a strong correlation between how an area voted and the numbers of foreign born residing there.
However there is a strong correlation to level of education, the less educated, the more likely to vote leave, and the higher the levels of education, the more likely to vote remain.

So people that go on to further education are less likely to be in touch with the concerns of those that dont..........what a shocker revelation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So people that go on to further education are less likely to be in touch with the concerns of those that dont..........what a shocker revelation.

Yeah, or maybe educated people understood the question

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And if you are uneducated, maybe it was as simple as that.

Ah the old Leavers too stupid to understand what they were doing because they are poorly educated and stupid stance.
I wonder if you actually realise how much of a patronising **** you and others are who use this…….i strongly suspect you have no idea.
Take a pat on the back though for helping the leave cause……..thinking like that helped no end in identifying an out of touch status quo.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And if you are uneducated, maybe it was as simple as that.

Many of your fellow remainers have gone to great lengths saying it really was as simple as IN or OUT and nothing more was attached to the question.
No knowledge of single market or free movement was involved. It wasnt on the ballot they claim, it was a simple IN or OUT they say.
Im sure they are happy as larry you consider them uneducated too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I'd add travel to that, if you've got out there and seen the world properly (and I'm not talking about p22 of the Thomson brochure) its less highly you voted leave.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So what's the odds May's speech this weekend will give any clarity?

Or will be just be more flowery sound bites, continued delusion and still hoping the EU is going to blink first

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think we're starting to run out of long grass

bbcc39e8652ef0f0d6e5393bb15c843e--wheat-fields-country-farm.jpg

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I asked why in raised the issue, I didn’t challenge it. London didn’t vote Remain because of its immigrant base. For example in Brighton & Hove c18% of people were not born in the U.K. but 69% voted to Remain. London at 40% and 60% respectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here