Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tom Daley announces baby news

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I do wonder why he had to 'announce' this on social media - surely this should be a private thing between him & his partner?

I'm obviously getting old as I don't feel the need to share with the world any of the details of my private life.

Perhaps NSC's Great and Good will explain to me how this has improved the Shining Hour?

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
"pretend to be its parents"? - by that logic people who adopt children are only pretending to be parents. I think parents are the ones who bring up the child. In all likelihood one of the pair is the biological father.
your definition of marriage is NOT the legal definition so you are as wrong as the OP, unless you are meaning the catholic definition, in which case you contradict you not religious statement.

One of my mates is a step parent. Another pretender

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see it as a life choice, a child should have the chance of growing up with a mother and father, (although I know this obviously doesn't always work), but it's the way the animal kingdom works.

It's not actually. Many animal social groups raise their young communally. If you want to expand that further every being on earth has an imperitive to carry on their lineage. We, as members of the animal kingdom have found a way for same sex couples to do that. It's nothing but the natural instinct of the animal kingdom infused with science. And a couple get to raise a hopefully happy child to boot. Winning.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I do wonder why he to 'announce' this on social media - surely this should be a private thing between him & his partner?

I'm obviously getting old as I don't feel the need to share with the world any of the details of my private life.

Perhaps NSC's Great and Good will explain to me how this has improved the Shining Hour?

that is a perfectly valid but different point to the OP. Many celebrities(and everyone else) announce much more trivial things on social media-rightly or wrongly-but that is what social media is for!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Massive fishing trip, and sadly a number of people got hooked.

Top news for a loving couple. Beats Brexit shit in the news.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Sorry, but it's a basic thing for me. I'm not the slightest bit religious, but marriage is an arrangement between a man and a woman. That's it. Has been for thousands of years and worked pretty well. The law is an ass, to quote Mr Bumble.. And I'm not in favour of single males or single females having children on their own by choice.. If a marriage or partnership breaks down and one of the couple has to bring up the child on his/her own, then regrettable but has to be done. There are many many statistics to confirm that children do better when brought up in two parent (one of each sex) family environment.

As for the child being conceived "naturally", I think you'll find it unlikely that it was conceived naturally by the two guys that are now going to pretend to be its parents.

Knowing two people with same sex parents, who are now grown up and very happy- and with one of them being a close friend- I’ve let this thread wind me up too much. So I’ll issue my last point.

I believe, and know from testimony, that all a baby is interested in is survival. That is ensured through the love and support of its parent(s). The baby has no concept on those parents biology and even less interest. It will grow up caring little for it. Until…

There comes a day when questions get asked and slurs get made. They could get bullied, taunted, made to feel different. (I know it happened to my friend many years back). But the problem is that they don’t understand why. They have done nothing wrong- and neither have their parents.

So what does this tell us ? It says that the real issue at hand here is not the circumstances of birth and nurture but the opposition to it. So by opposing it the whole concept of same sex parenting is called into question by virtue of the attitudes towards it and not the fact.

So basically, YOU are the reason why it may not work, YOU are the reason that some get bullied and YOU are the reason why healthy and balanced individuals may be caused to doubt themselves.

My words sound harsh and I do not wish to make slight of your character on the basis of a simple ignorant viewpoint.

Perhaps if you met my friend you would understand. But you wouldn’t be in for a comfortable time. When you challenge a person's right to exist, and meet their soft reasoning in person, it can be rather humbling.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I do wonder why he had to 'announce' this on social media - surely this should be a private thing between him & his partner?

Probably a choice between announcing it yourself or having it “announced” by the tabloids

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Knowing two people with same sex parents, who are now grown up and very happy- and with one of them being a close friend- I’ve let this thread wind me up too much. So I’ll issue my last point.

I believe, and know from testimony, that all a baby is interested in is survival. That is ensured through the love and support of its parent(s). The baby has no concept on those parents biology and even less interest. It will grow up caring little for it. Until…

There comes a day when questions get asked and slurs get made. They could get bullied, taunted, made to feel different. (I know it happened to my friend many years back). But the problem is that they don’t understand why. They have done nothing wrong- and neither have their parents.

So what does this tell us ? It says that the real issue at hand here is not the circumstances of birth and nurture but the opposition to it. So by opposing it the whole concept of same sex parenting is called into question by virtue of the attitudes towards it and not the fact.

So basically, YOU are the reason why it may not work, YOU are the reason that some get bullied and YOU are the reason why healthy and balanced individuals may be caused to doubt themselves.

My words sound harsh and I do not wish to make slight of your character on the basis of a simple ignorant viewpoint.

Perhaps if you met my friend you would understand. But you wouldn’t be in for a comfortable time. When you challenge a person's right to exist, and meet their soft reasoning in person, it can be rather humbling.

I am not the kind of person who bullies people. Never have, never will. But the fact is that such kids are more likely to get bullied than kids from a two parent (one of each sex) family. Growing up is tough enough anyway for many kids. Why make life even tougher for them by forcing a "two father" disadvantage on them?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
DontFeedtheTrolls.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some people are still alive and kicking in the homophobia club

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brilliant post and absolutely spot on.

When I was at school we occasionlly used to muse about black people, and that everything would be 'better' if they were 'sent back home'. I went to school in Hove. None of us had ever spoken to a black person, or (in most cases) even seen one, close up, in the flesh.

Ignorance, shared among the ignorant, can be so reassuring, and more-ish.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I am not the kind of person who bullies people. Never have, never will. But the fact is that such kids are more likely to get bullied than kids from a two parent (one of each sex) family. Growing up is tough enough anyway for many kids. Why make life even tougher for them by forcing a "two father" disadvantage on them?

I did not accuse you of bullying. But your opinions are a catalyst for it.

You merely underline my point that it is attitudes like yours and those that take them further that are the cause of life being tougher for them.

If those attitudes didn't exist then life wouldn't be tougher. It would be no different.

Unconsciously, although you can't see it, you are actually acknowledging where the real problem is.

The source of your ignorance is your conditioning not your ability to reason.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Left UK years ago - but many people looking in can see there is an agenda to make you all love gay people and transgenders. Even the "secret life of 5 year olds" programme had kids all cross dressing.

In the UK men are being turned into girls, and the women are being pushed into the masculine. And nobody is allowed to speak out thro fear.

Love the footy, miss the footy, but wouldn't live in the UK again if you paid me. Too negative, too many look ill / stressed.....and no courage left.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Doesn't always work out well: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...dopted-daughter-was-jekyll-and-hyde-character

People of the same sex adopting babies is a reatime experiment with little or no data about what affect it has or not on the child growing up, whether being bullied at school for it or other. It just opens up a new can of worms and gives people a new way to abuse the system if they are that way inclined, at the expense of a child.

It's all hip, cool and really out there for the rich and famous but I am cynical and haven't bought into this fad as a genral rule.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Left UK years ago - but many people looking in can see there is an agenda to make you all love gay people and transgenders. Even the "secret life of 5 year olds" programme had kids all cross dressing.

In the UK men are being turned into girls, and the women are being pushed into the masculine. And nobody is allowed to speak out thro fear.

Love the footy, miss the footy, but wouldn't live in the UK again if you paid me. Too negative, too many look ill / stressed.....and no courage left.

I’m genuinely intrigued as where thou hast moved to ?

As is Pretty Pink Fairy, who is looking for his passport as we speak.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My usual response to this type of news story

giphy.gif

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

How very courageous of you to run away because you’re afraid of gay and trans people. This country is without a doubt better off without you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here