Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If any of you serious runners want a real challenge then enter The Forces March next year
I've just completed and it's 134 miles in 5 days from Ilfracombe to Bulford
All road and a serious mental as well as physical challenge
You can just walk it if you want to
I walked just two days then ran walk the last three days and finished Saturday's marathon in 4 hrs 45 mins and yesterday all done in 4hrs 17 mins
Great charity and awesome people

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A question for all you runners or doggers? I ran to the Devil Dyke golf course today, but you run out of track just past there. What are the best routes to take when you're up there?

To get there from mine is about 2.5 miles and I wouldn't want to run much more than 14 or 15 miles. I'm sure I've heard on here before you can get to Shoreham.

Great views up there and want to do more longer running up there if possible.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A question for all you runners or doggers? I ran to the Devil Dyke golf course today, but you run out of track just past there. What are the best routes to take when you're up there?

To get there from mine is about 2.5 miles and I wouldn't want to run much more than 14 or 15 miles. I'm sure I've heard on here before you can get to Shoreham.

Keep going up towards the pub and you'll see a South Downs Way sign. About 70 miles of hills to Winchester on the left and about 30 miles to Eastbourne on the right.
This shows Dyke to River Adur on SDW but you're house isn't on this brilliant route. https://www.strava.com/activities/504603793

From your house I would do the Chattri memorial route and take in Ditchling Beacon and the SDW. Off my head the Beacon is less than 7 miles from Patcham cricket/allotment area..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Keep going up towards the pub and you'll see a South Downs Way sign. About 70 miles of hills to Winchester on the left and about 30 miles to Eastbourne on the right.
This shows Dyke to River Adur on SDW but you're house isn't on this brilliant route. https://www.strava.com/activities/504603793

From your house I would do the Chattri memorial route and take in Ditchling Beacon and the SDW. Off my head the Beacon is less than 7 miles from Patcham cricket/allotment area..

7 miles return that should be. So you can add to that distance on the sdw.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

There is a track on the right hand side of the road all the way to the pub. As Knocky1 says then it's the SDW. West goes to Truleigh Hill and then you can turn left down the Adur to Shoreham and go back along the seafront.
An alternative is to turn left before the pub and there is a good path back down through the Benfield Valley golf course back to Sainsburys West Hove, then you can head east through Hangleton to Hove Park, or carry on through Portslade to the seafront.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
The Grand Union Canal Race is one immense race! Words can't really describe it, but ill quickly scribble something done! Firstly The heat and humidity was the worst thing to contend with tbh and the first night was a relief.. but the next day was hotter with no wind. You know that it's a big race when at 50 miles people are wishing you good luck! The first 100 miles were fine, I set a pb of just over 24hrs.. I grinded out the 'last' 45 miles as my legs were feeling a bit dead! Never really felt tiredness like it as bushs turned into people and faces were fences! A couple of kicks up the arse by assorted buddy runners and check point crew got me moving around 125 and by the last 3 I was running! The final 6 miles though just went on and on. Also with a thunder storm and heavy rain I just had enough, but thought if I didn't run it in i might get hypothermia.. but I made it and after a kip my head is refreshed but my legs are a bit stiff obviously. I think I could definitely do it in a better time, but wouldn't do anything differently as in prep etc. It's just a fine line between dropping and finishing I'm just glad I finished! There's probably more to write down.. but I'm just relieved that it's done and onto the weakest link!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Grand Union Canal Race is one immense race! Words can't really describe it, but ill quickly scribble something done! Firstly The heat and humidity was the worst thing to contend with tbh and the first night was a relief.. but the next day was hotter with no wind. You know that it's a big race when at 50 miles people are wishing you good luck! The first 100 miles were fine, I set a pb of just over 24hrs.. I grinded out the 'last' 45 miles as my legs were feeling a bit dead! Never really felt tiredness like it as bushs turned into people and faces were fences! A couple of kicks up the arse by assorted buddy runners and check point crew got me moving around 125 and by the last 3 I was running! The final 6 miles though just went on and on. Also with a thunder storm and heavy rain I just had enough, but thought if I didn't run it in i might get hypothermia.. but I made it and after a kip my head is refreshed but my legs are a bit stiff obviously. I think I could definitely do it in a better time, but wouldn't do anything differently as in prep etc. It's just a fine line between dropping and finishing I'm just glad I finished! There's probably more to write down.. but I'm just relieved that it's done and onto the weakest link!

Just a fantastic effort fella, not sure words are enough. Well done. Have a rest !!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Amazing achievement quite unbelievable. 6 marathons back to back, I can't imagine two let alone this. Enjoy some rest.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Epic run. Legendary stuff :clap2::clap2:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Incredible stuff.........it really is. As for naps, not usually. May have a little sit down at an aid station now and again for 5 mins but the majority certainly won't sleep. Occasionally see a runner have a 20 minute nap but pretty rare. Never been out that long but it's a but bizarre how you feel when the sun comes back up after being on the go all night - very definite new lease of life.

Yeah it's a tough one regarding sleep.. for a 100 miler I would say you don't need it and you just carry on and grind it out. For the GICR there was a few getting 5 or 10 mins on a bench or on the grass next to the tow path. I think this was more to the rear of the field which started to drift into.. some who did it said that just the 5 mins revitalise them.. I tried it, layed down, cap over face and got stung to buggery on my legs.. which meant it wasn't gonna happen!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

You are, clearly, the man.

(Nutter) :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Incredible running, great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can I ask a quick question for those who are a bit more experienced of Park Run?

I was texted my time but never timed the run myself. Obviously it took maybe a minute or so after "finishing" to get to a marshal who scanned my barcode.

Is my time based on when my barcode was scanned or do they "factor in" the fact that you finished a bit before that and give you a slightly better time?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can I ask a quick question for those who are a bit more experienced of Park Run?

I was texted my time but never timed the run myself. Obviously it took maybe a minute or so after "finishing" to get to a marshal who scanned my barcode.

Is my time based on when my barcode was scanned or do they "factor in" the fact that you finished a bit before that and give you a slightly better time?

No - it's when you cross the finish line and they hand you their barcode (which you then take to the scanning people along with your own barcode) - it's reconciled to the stopwatch the timing people have so no need to rush to get scanned afterwards. Essentially their barcode is your time, and yours is your ID - the scanning matches them up to give you your time

It's very accurate - usually within 1-2 seconds of my own watch time

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No - it's when you cross the finish line and they hand you their barcode (which you then take to the scanning people along with your own barcode) - it's reconciled to the stopwatch the timing people have so no need to rush to get scanned afterwards. Essentially their barcode is your time, and yours is your ID - the scanning matches them up to give you your time

It's very accurate - usually within 1-2 seconds of my own watch time

Fantastic. That's good to know.

thank you.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
[MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] well done that is just amazing.

Yesterday I completed my first run without any pain in my leg since the Brighton Marathon. Only 3.5 miles but so pleased to get back out running without any injury.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Massive respect to you for completing the course [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION], regardless of the time. Awesome achievement – well done.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here