Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lockhart Tavern Haywards Heath

Although I pass through HH infrequently these days, I get the impression that these pavement cafes/bars are just about the only thing that the town has got going for it. So providing you reside in a docile, middle-class dormitory town in Mid Sussex, work in town and earn a decent salary and want to relax by posing in one of these street venues, then fine. Not so fine if you want any other sort of entertainment or decent shops or most other amenities. You still have to travel for all of this.

Having lived in Haywards Heath between 65-80 there was sod all there,when a coffee shop opened in south road and stayed open on SUNDAYS with thought it can't get any better. Although we had a few pubs they were spread out so we headed to Lindfield or Cuckfield for a cluster,once i turned 16 i was heading down to Brighton for my nights out.Haywards Heath and the Broadway are what they are but gives an option that didn't exist years ago.People have always traveled to go shopping but at least they now have a local option for a drink and a bit of a moan up without having to travel???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went past there at about 2.20 todayand as far as I could see from the bus there was 4 people in the bar area but 8 people sitting outside however those outside all seemed to have teapots or coffee cups on their tables no beer. Have companys now stopped staff drinking at lunch times As we were very busy with chaps and girls just having 1 drink each and a lunch. How times change.

Went past there at about 2.20 todayand as far as I could see from the bus there was 4 people in the bar area but 8 people sitting outside however those outside all seemed to have teapots or coffee cups on their tables no beer. Have companys now stopped staff drinking at lunch times As we were very busy with chaps and girls just having 1 drink each and a lunch. How times change.

Bus W***ER!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I went past at 4am. There was nobody inside and out. I remember going to Ibiza a few years ago and people were still out at that hour.
How times change.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

This attitude changed about 20 years ago.

That's nearly TWO DECADES.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Massive changes in Financial Services industry if that's an example. Up to the 80s/early 90s very common to have a drink at lunch time including in Haywards Heath, although ironically the choice in Perrymount Road in the 90s was basically up to the Star or down to the Burrell. Hardly ever see anyone doing it now.....not particularly stopped by companies but just become rarer and rarer.

I'm no former landlord but I bet the bar makes more profit out of a pot of tea than a pint of beer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point to which the usual green lover tries unsuccesfully as usual, to take the p..s, is that in yesteryear many came from the office at 1.30 for their hour break to miss the 1oclock rush so they would have been still having a pint at 2.20 and I am asking has this been stopped by the company bosses. DAZZER 6666 goes someway towards answering it thank you.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My point to which the usual green lover tries unsuccesfully as usual, to take the p..s, is that in yesteryear many came from the office at 1.30 for their hour break to miss the 1oclock rush so they would have been still having a pint at 2.20 and I am asking has this been stopped by the company bosses. DAZZER 6666 goes someway towards answering it thank you.

I know exactly the point you're making you daft old duffer. :facepalm:

And I did answer it. It's an attitude which changed at least 20 years ago; a point largely agreed with by the aforementioned Dazzer.

As for 'Green Lover', that would be me and tens of thousands of others across the city and even (at least) 1,500 in your neck of the woods.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here