Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio Turn Offs

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Just me who loves Kermode and Mayo?

I wish that was the case but its very popular. I hate the smugness of it all. The cinema code and clergy corner - its horrible.
Imagine going to the cinema to eat a soft roll, no filling and then looking down on all the plebs eating popcorn and having fun.

I wish they would bin it as I like the cinema and film reviews but can't stand Mayo and Kermode

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Love 6, particularly Lauren, RadMac and Huey.

Don't mind some of Radio 2 but can't stand Evans and Steve Wright (Hi Steve, love the show) is just a parody of himself, and he was shit in the first place.

Can't cope with adverts so hardly ever listen to Talk Sport but I'd agree that, from what I have heard, Adrian Durham is a BELLEND.

I also agree with HKFC that I would happily pay the licence fee just for 6 music.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Love almost all 6 Music but Laverne and Matthews, whilst playing some top notch music, are highly irritating as presenters. Nemone can do one too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Vanessa Feltz. I often listen to R2 for Popmaster and usually forget to turn to R4. Sometimes Feltz is on there covering for someone. How the blazes does she get work, utterly awful woman. Grating voice, thick as shit and thoroughly ill informed. Her commentary on most topics goes something like this..

"So yesterday it was announced that breast feeding will give your kids aspergers and make your tits turn into cheese, do you think MY GOD NANNY STATE LEAVE US ALONE. I mean I do, I just do. Do you agree with me or DO YOU ACTUALLY WANT CHEESE TITS? call us and explain why I'm right to me".

Michael Ball. Always sounds like he's trying to chat up underage girls.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wish that was the case but its very popular. I hate the smugness of it all. The cinema code and clergy corner - its horrible.
Imagine going to the cinema to eat a soft roll, no filling and then looking down on all the plebs eating popcorn and having fun.

I wish they would bin it as I like the cinema and film reviews but can't stand Mayo and Kermode

Mayo is a superb presenter, knowledgeable, witty, and takes the edge off Kermode's Guardianista extremities. I download every episode and listen to them driving to the Amex.

Used to like H&J on TalkSport, but stopped listening when it became part of the Murdoch empire.

I do like Colin Murray, he's an enthusiast, but knows his stuff.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just me who loves Kermode and Mayo?

Perhaps they could just run it for you and El P by coming round to your houses and presenting it in person, leaving the airwaves clear for something - anything! - less turgid, pretentious and totally naff!

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Mayo is a superb presenter, knowledgeable, witty, and takes the edge off Kermode's Guardianista extremities. I download every episode and listen to them driving to the Amex. .

+1. They have a good dynamic. I also think they're pretty self-deprecating at times, never got a smug vibe from them whatsoever. Kermode can be pretty opinionated but he's a critic, for crying out loud.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
+1. They have a good dynamic. I also think they're pretty self-deprecating at times, never got a smug vibe from them whatsoever. Kermode can be pretty opinionated but he's a critic, for crying out loud.

All they ever do is read praise for the show. People write in telling them how they got through childbirth, difficult break-ups, illness's etc etc just because they listened to the show. Don't even get me started on how biased they are towards American comedies and how crass and naff they all are. Kermode finds cartoons funny and laughs at the word bottom but if Josh Rogan acts like a stoner he's immature and not funny - arrrrrrrggggghhhh

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Love Cerys Matthews' voice. I could listen to her all day. I enjoy her musical tastes too on the whole.

Mary-Anne Hobbs. Unlistenable for me. Her voice really irritates me.

Completely agree with both statements.

Hobbs is standing in for Lauren Laverne this week and I have to keep the radio remote very close to the keyboard so I can keep fading her down in between songs. My god she is awful. I consider myself a fairly articulate person but I just cannot put into words how much she irritates me.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can I please broach the subject of Fighting Talk on 5 Live?

The most self-indulgent, blokish, uninspired and unfunny radio programme that's ever been commissioned. And then commissioned again. And then again. And again. And again ...

theroyal

May 11, 2014

The most self-indulgent, blokish, uninspired and unfunny radio programme that's ever been commissioned. And then commissioned again. And then again. And again. And again ...

I can't listen to it, purely for the "DING!!" every 5 bloody seconds.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
All they ever do is read praise for the show. People write in telling them how they got through childbirth, difficult break-ups, illness's etc etc just because they listened to the show. Don't even get me started on how biased they are towards American comedies and how crass and naff they all are. Kermode finds cartoons funny and laughs at the word bottom but if Josh Rogan acts like a stoner he's immature and not funny - arrrrrrrggggghhhh

One of Kermode's catchphrases is "everything will be okay in the end" and people call in to give examples of that, not to say the show was the sole reason of their recovery.

And I agree with him, American comedies are on the whole crass and naff. As I said, he's opinionated, and you're not entitled to agree with him. He can find something crass and naff and still have a silly sense of humour.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

This. I turn over as soon as the music starts after the Danny Baker show.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I too listen to the R4 today programme and agree Humphreys is a bit of a dick.

However he pales into insignificance compared to one of the speakers they have on Thought For The Day, at about 07:50. Anne Atkins. I have never heard anyone sound so smug and self righteous. The radio always goes off as soon as I know it's her and goes back on again 3-4 minutes later when I know the airwaves are safe.

'Thought for the Day' Ms Atkins? Well, I've got a short one for you. It's only 2 words long and the 2nd word is "off".

That's another thing. Thought for the Day. People who believe in fairies get to interrupt for two minutes.

4 produces lots of good stuff while its flagship broadcasts remain in the 19th century.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Completely agree with both statements.

Hobbs is standing in for Lauren Laverne this week and I have to keep the radio remote very close to the keyboard so I can keep fading her down in between songs. My god she is awful. I consider myself a fairly articulate person but I just cannot put into words how much she irritates me.

In her defence, and I ain't a fan, she be playing some banging tunes this morn "Oh baby it's cold outside..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here