Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

generation snowflake

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You are, but I viewed your post. I had no interest in you calling me an IRA sympathiser so I blocked you as you seemed incapable of seeing past your own point of view without feeling the need to dish out offensive remarks. If you seek to the engage me again on the topic of the IRA I will once again continue you to ignore you. However, if you wish to continue the discussion on schools and whether they do or don't foster competition within sport I will partake.

How very convenient, for the record I didn't say you were, i said.corbyn is , however after reading this post and your refusal to discuss anything IRA related I'd say you definitely are.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
More evidence that there are people in academia who appear totally divorced from reality and find offence in the most bizarre of things. This isn't just a car-crash of an interview, it's a 12 car pile-up with an Oxford physics professor trying (and failing) to explain why he reported a speech by Amber Rudd that he admits he didn't even listen to as hate crime. You know you're well beaten when you make Michael Howard look like the voice of reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILL1XRLVuA

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
1944-18-year-olds-storm-the-beach-of-normandy-into-7171253.png

Generation Snowflake. Can Trump save us?:shrug:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...-phrases-right-hand-man-gentlemans-agreement/

University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

A university has banned phrases such as “right-hand man” and “gentleman’s agreement” under its code of practice on inclusive language.

Cardiff Metropolitan University’s guidance dictates that “gender-neutral” terms should be used where possible, adding that students should not allow their “cultural background” to affect their choice of words.

It advises that the terms “forefathers”, “mankind” and “sportsmanship” should be avoided, as part of efforts to “embrace cultural diversity” through language.

The university has been accused of undermining free speech and “insulting” students and academics by attempting to dictate their choice of words.

Dr Joanna Williams, a lecturer in higher education the University of Kent and author of Academic Freedom in an Age of Conformity, said that advising that certain words are banned is “unnecessary”.

“It is a very authoritarian attempt to control the way people think and the language people use,” she said.

“The idea that in a university people need to be dictated to in this way is really insulting to students and academics, we should be able to cope with words. These words have evolved over a long period of time and they don’t have sexist associations.”

Students are told that stereotyping through language “denies people’s individuality”, and that instead, they should strive to “promote an atmosphere in which all students feel valued”.

The guidance - which includes a list of 34 words and phrases that should be avoided - says that student need not be “too anxious” about the use of language.

“Blind people do use terms like ‘see you later’ and being too careful can make conversation painful for both parties,” it adds. It is the latest in a series of attempts on university campuses across the country to implement "politically correct" policies.

Earlier this week it emerged that Cambridge University students had complained about being served "Jamaican stew" and "Tunisian rice", claiming that the cultures were "misrepresented".

Prime Minister Theresa May has hit out at universities for implementing "safe space" policies amid concerns that self-censorship is curtailing freedom of speech on campuses.

The Prime Minister said it was "quite extraordinary" for universities to ban the discussion of certain topics which could cause offence. She warned that stifling free speech could have a negative impact on Britain's economic and social success.

A survey by the radical magazine Spiked, published last month, found that 90 per cent of British universities have been involved in restricting free speech on campus.

It found that in the last year, 21 universities banned high profile speakers from attending lectures, debates or speeches because of their views, including Oxford, King’s College London and University College London.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...-phrases-right-hand-man-gentlemans-agreement/

University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

A university has banned phrases such as “right-hand man” and “gentleman’s agreement” under its code of practice on inclusive language.

Cardiff Metropolitan University’s guidance dictates that “gender-neutral” terms should be used where possible, adding that students should not allow their “cultural background” to affect their choice of words.

It advises that the terms “forefathers”, “mankind” and “sportsmanship” should be avoided, as part of efforts to “embrace cultural diversity” through language.

The university has been accused of undermining free speech and “insulting” students and academics by attempting to dictate their choice of words.

Dr Joanna Williams, a lecturer in higher education the University of Kent and author of Academic Freedom in an Age of Conformity, said that advising that certain words are banned is “unnecessary”.

“It is a very authoritarian attempt to control the way people think and the language people use,” she said.

“The idea that in a university people need to be dictated to in this way is really insulting to students and academics, we should be able to cope with words. These words have evolved over a long period of time and they don’t have sexist associations.”

Students are told that stereotyping through language “denies people’s individuality”, and that instead, they should strive to “promote an atmosphere in which all students feel valued”.

The guidance - which includes a list of 34 words and phrases that should be avoided - says that student need not be “too anxious” about the use of language.

“Blind people do use terms like ‘see you later’ and being too careful can make conversation painful for both parties,” it adds. It is the latest in a series of attempts on university campuses across the country to implement "politically correct" policies.

Earlier this week it emerged that Cambridge University students had complained about being served "Jamaican stew" and "Tunisian rice", claiming that the cultures were "misrepresented".

Prime Minister Theresa May has hit out at universities for implementing "safe space" policies amid concerns that self-censorship is curtailing freedom of speech on campuses.

The Prime Minister said it was "quite extraordinary" for universities to ban the discussion of certain topics which could cause offence. She warned that stifling free speech could have a negative impact on Britain's economic and social success.

A survey by the radical magazine Spiked, published last month, found that 90 per cent of British universities have been involved in restricting free speech on campus.

It found that in the last year, 21 universities banned high profile speakers from attending lectures, debates or speeches because of their views, including Oxford, King’s College London and University College London.
I wish I was somewhere they banned stuff like that. It would bring me great delight to carry on using them. Anyway it is Impossible to "ban words". You can put them on a list and there can be consequences for saying them but you cannot "ban" them.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This. I teach students and these days they are polite, informed and engaging. When I started in this game (89) they were arrogant, lazy, and many of them were stinky. too.

We were trying to deal with the hole in the ozone layer back then, so using deodorant was frowned on.
We had no excuse for the 'arrogant and lazy' bit however.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Most young kids are great , but then I suspect they always have been.

Just read this again. Actually, you're right. Behaviour is strongly driven by the moment, versus the extent to which whatever tribal attitudes have found traction. It just happened that when I started teaching there were limitless opportunities for science students to get so-so degrees and become consultants for banks and other folk interested in investing in pharmaceutical innovations. I ran a commercial meeting in 1991 and some of my recently former mediocre students were in the audience, acting for investors, and probably earning a fair bit more than me. The main difference now is the kids work harder, perhaps mindful of their student loan and the need to get value for money (from me). Intrinsically, yeah, they were nice enough back then, but not always very hard working. Aside from some obvious examples where individual families seem to have special genes, nurture seems to trump nature, based on the sample of several thousand students I have (largely enjoyably) tought over the last 28 years. And . . . the very worst bit of written work, generated conscientiously, that I ever marked was written by a Crystal Palace supporter (indigenous of Croydon) :lolol: That said, he sorted himself out and has done well for himself. I had an interesting day teaching some very driven MSc students of interesting provenance, today, which triggered this reply. Cheers.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
That'll be draft dodger Trump, the most thin-skinned snowflake on the planet, who gets upset about people saying things about his crowds and his hands.

Well thats one way of describing someone who gives as good as he receives.The thing that stand out about GET is this.

The most cynical and mistrustful people are the ones who have totally bought into a bellicose reality TV host with no political background or ideology. The conspiracy theory brigade, anti-establishment types, contrarians, trolls etc totally believe in him. None of these types walk on egg shells and hae a problem with triggering snowflakes

Wereas the MSM who would usually be quite stoic about the democratic process have totally lost their shit. They seem to be the ones who have melted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well thats one way of describing someone who gives as good as he receives.The thing that stand out about GET is this.

The most cynical and mistrustful people are the ones who have totally bought into a bellicose reality TV host with no political background or ideology. The conspiracy theory brigade, anti-establishment types, contrarians, trolls etc totally believe in him. None of these types walk on egg shells and hae a problem with triggering snowflakes

Wereas the MSM who would usually be quite stoic about the democratic process have totally lost their shit. They seem to be the ones who have melted.

Sorry, I can't make head or tail of that :shrug:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's what happens when one tries to defend the idea of trump not being a delicate snowflake.

IOW he is thick and you are running round kissing butt of all those who disagree with me as your an emo owned bitch.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
IOW he is thick and you are running round kissing butt of all those who disagree with me as your an emo owned bitch.

Losing your shit again Looney? If I didn't reply to those that disagree with you I would never post.

Thread after thread is seeing you 'owned' by poster after poster and the best you can do is whine that someone is agreeing with them.

Snowflake indeed, much like your hero.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some studies show (based on identical twins that were separated at birth) that it's generally 60% nurture and 40% nature.

Even with the increased understanding of brain plasticity? I would have thought that given the brain's ability to rewire itself we would be looking at larger increase on the nurture side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here