Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drug epidemic off Wellington Road, close to primary School are drugs taking over Brighton?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Mate of mine is from London and he has always said that drugs are more rive and easier to get down here and we live outside of Brighton.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have actually seen a couple in a beat up old red car on Franklin road just past the pub on the left hand side near that big tree that sticks out, and they had just jacked up, belt round the arm still on the young girl....

What ya gonna do though.

The theory is that if it were legalised they could at least jack up somewhere warm and comfortable.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
When asked earlier this year about the legalisation of drugs, the then prime minister DC said 'We are winning the war against drugs'.
I remember this phase from my childhood and thought how wonderful to hear that we are still winning this war that has only been going on for 104 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681673

We have a perfect model of how legalisation would save many lives, the prohibition of alcohol in the USA during the 1920's.
Illegal stills soon appeared resulting in some unsafe alcohol blinding, poisoning and killing people. The authorities wagged war against the industry for some years until the new president saw the futility of the situation and stopped the war, virtually killing the criminal element by legalising alcohol resulting in people being able to consume a relatively safe mind altering substance.

Its hardly rocket surgery

The war failed because consumption of alcohol was too entrenched in people's way of lives for it to be stopped i.e. the majority or a least a significant active minority wanted it to be available. The danger of making drugs legal is that it normalises their consumption and that surely is not desirable, drugs ruin many people's lives and that is an inescapable fact.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The war failed because consumption of alcohol was too entrenched in people's way of lives for it to be stopped i.e. the majority or a least a significant active minority wanted it to be available. The danger of making drugs legal is that it normalises their consumption and that surely is not desirable, drugs ruin many people's lives and that is an inescapable fact.
And alcohol doesn't? Or tobacco? Fewer people's lives would be ruined if everything was decriminalised and properly regulated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Normalising it means we can deal with it in a more sensible, grown-up and coherent manner though. Something has to change. Billions have been spent on current drugs policies for decades with less than zero impact. Any other government policy that had wasted so much money and time with **** all to show for it would have been addressed by now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The theory is that if it were legalised they could at least jack up somewhere warm and comfortable.

How nice for them, maybe we could supply whatever drugs they wish to use free on the NHS that way they would not be forced in to various lives of crimes to fund their habits.

Job sorted...

Next problem ?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

The taking of drugs is already normal in many sections of our society, from the rich snorting charley in vast quantities, to the poorest sniffing glue in the local park.
However I totally agree with the final point in your post, they do indeed ruin many peoples lives. May I point you towards one particular lady who wrote a book entitled 5,742 Days, the number of days her daughter Martha lived until she took MDMA that was 92% pure rather than the normal 56%, below is an article which will give you a good idea of what its about.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-on-drugs-anne-marie-cockburn-martha-fernback

Then if you can imagine that Martha was your child would you still think this legislation that effectively sentenced Martha and thousands if not millions of people to death in the 104 year war on drugs is a sensible way to tackle this problem?

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
The taking of drugs is already normal in many sections of our society, from the rich snorting charley in vast quantities, to the poorest sniffing glue in the local park.
However I totally agree with the final point in your post, they do indeed ruin many peoples lives. May I point you towards one particular lady who wrote a book entitled 5,742 Days, the number of days her daughter Martha lived until she took MDMA that was 92% pure rather than the normal 56%, below is an article which will give you a good idea of what its about.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-on-drugs-anne-marie-cockburn-martha-fernback

Then if you can imagine that Martha was your child would you still think this legislation that effectively sentenced Martha and thousands if not millions of people to death in the 104 year war on drugs is a sensible way to tackle this problem?

The "war on drugs" clearly isn't working! education is the key and testing, if drugs were legalised then it would've stopped this happening in theory....... testing the pill see if was a high dose and take less.
....but you will always get the odd person that just does too much, but this is the same with alcohol as well.
There is no easy solution or simple answer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And alcohol doesn't? Or tobacco? Fewer people's lives would be ruined if everything was decriminalised and properly regulated.

I've yet to see the TV footage of a mother crying over her dead son and saying " He was always such a good boy .... we never knew he was dabbling in alcohol... I still can't believe that he was drinking Harvey's on occasions with other users..... "

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
To the people saying legalise, are you familiar with the approach in Portugal where drugs are decriminalised? They presented some recent results that show that the number of drug related deaths initially fell, but is now back up to the level it was before the policy was implemented. And the number of people that have used the drugs has risen since The policy was implemented.

This is why I am extremely sceptical now of the merits of decriminalisation. Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud but it just seems like the wrong message to send. Especially legalising it. Sure it probably improves the lives of the addicts, but at the expense of the current non-addicts who will try it out and risk a downward spiral. Just my basic opinion from what I've read.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've yet to see the TV footage of a mother crying over her dead son and saying " He was always such a good boy .... we never knew he was dabbling in alcohol... I still can't believe that he was drinking Harvey's on occasions with other users..... "

and before we knew it he was spending his entire salary on a few craft beers

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Yeah that's right. Nobody dies from alcohol abuse and it never ruins people's lives. Utter nonsense mate.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To the people saying legalise, are you familiar with the approach in Portugal where drugs are decriminalised? They presented some recent results that show that the number of drug related deaths initially fell, but is now back up to the level it was before the policy was implemented. And the number of people that have used the drugs has risen since The policy was implemented.

This is why I am extremely sceptical now of the merits of decriminalisation. Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud but it just seems like the wrong message to send. Especially legalising it. Sure it probably improves the lives of the addicts, but at the expense of the current non-addicts who will try it out and risk a downward spiral. Just my basic opinion from what I've read.

For people who are already addicted to heroin it would probably be better to take them off the dealer market. On the street they don’t know if their next fix will kill them or not whether by purity or impurity.

A heroin user who has to resort to crime to pay for their habit or even become dealers themselves to finance it are more hassle to everyone else than the current system is worth.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yeah that's right. Nobody dies from alcohol abuse and it never ruins people's lives. Utter nonsense mate.

Pint and a half of beer or an unknown pill from a bloke down the pub ? your call ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Pint and a half of beer or an unknown pill from a bloke down the pub ? your call ?

FFS. Every drug is open to abuse. If the "unknown pill" was regulated then it wouldn't be dangerous, just like the pint and a half. Taking 20 might be, just like drinking 20 pints. It's not complicated.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here