Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birdwatchers - what is this?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My wife a bit of a wild bird expert has come down on the side of it being a sparrowhawk. Got a similar look to a Peregrine Falcon but size is final factor.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A female Sparrowhawk. Again.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I personally think it's corylus rather than salix. Definitely sparrowhawk as well.......a distinctive bird which can't really be confused with a peregrine falcon, buzzard, ford fiesta or whatever else was suggested

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Nothing like a Sparrowhawk they are much rangier, longer legged, buzzard often sit hunched, we have loads up here. Buzzards often walk around looking for worms etc.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a BUZZARD

Nothing like a Sparrowhawk they are much rangier, longer legged, buzzard often sit hunched, we have loads up here. Buzzards often walk around looking for worms etc.

Not the clearest of photos but I wouldn't say it's " nothing like a Sparrowhawk " it looks like one to me.
The op also mentioned a pile of pigeon feathers in his garden.

Not sure where the op lives but I've seen a Sparrowhawk in my garden on more than one occasion, I've never seen a Buzzard in my garden, only seen buzzards in the countryside.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We had a buzzard table at the last house. The wife fed birds seed and peanuts, so many birds crashed into the windows we had a table to recycle them. This year we had 11 siskins in one sitting and twenty odd chaffinches. The buzzards came by daily for a snack off the table. We also had sparrow hawks wizz by to snatch the odd bird. Sparrow hawks are for speed and look like it when they fly. Buzzards wheel in the sky and sit on fence posts and trees looking down for mice etc. This lump in the photo is a buzzard or i'll eat my wren!

Not the clearest of photos but I wouldn't say it's " nothing like a Sparrowhawk " it looks like one to me.
The op also mentioned a pile of pigeon feathers in his garden.

Not sure where the op lives but I've seen a Sparrowhawk in my garden on more than one occasion, I've never seen a Buzzard in my garden, only seen buzzards in the countryside.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Looks like a fox to me.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
We had a buzzard table at the last house. The wife fed birds seed and peanuts, so many birds crashed into the windows we had a table to recycle them. This year we had 11 siskins in one sitting and twenty odd chaffinches. The buzzards came by daily for a snack off the table. We also had sparrow hawks wizz by to snatch the odd bird. Sparrow hawks are for speed and look like it when they fly. Buzzards wheel in the sky and sit on fence posts and trees looking down for mice etc. This lump in the photo is a buzzard or i'll eat my wren!

100% female sparrowhawk - check out the bottom pic in this link: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/902/p/84601/572510.aspx

Buzzards do not have the striped chest clearly visible in this picture.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Wren for dinner, then! Any chance you could move your bird table? It seems to have a high mortality rate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here