Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate and the England job

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
An issue the England set up faces war highlighted by the guardian, the current generations lack of successful England campaigns.

How old are you now if you were 10 when England won the world cup? 60. How old are you now if you were 10 for euro 96? 30.

There has been nothing to get particularly excited by as far as England is concerned for under 30s. As such club football has become the focus of attention for a while generation.

Some serious success is required to bring back a generation lost. Coming second to Romania in 98. Second to Sweden in 2002. Second to the US in 2010. Finishing last in the group in 2014.

No wonder there is apathy.

Without wishing to disagree with The Guardian, that doesn't make much sense. Spain had never won a thing until the 1964 European Championship (won on home soil) and didn't win another title for 44 years. They were a byword for underachievement. So by that logic - especially with their club success - you would have expected their national team to continue its decline.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes but they coach their players properly. Which is the actual problem with England. The manager is almost irrelevant as the players are just not good enough and think they are better than they actually are.

So for 44 years Spain coached their players properly but still didn't win anything? Now I'm completely confused.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We're beating Spain at the moment. Great through ball to Vardy, who was brought down by the keeper. Lallana scored the penalty.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The days when the "marquee managers" would take an international job, let alone the England job have gone. Any manager who wants to be seen as the benchmark in their profession wants to have the day-to-day involvement of managing a big club, not to manage an international side for 2 matches, then not see his players again for 3 months.

The current Italian manager is the very definition of a journeyman manager. Joachim Loew had barely managed a club before he ended up taking the Germany job and he has done very well for them.

Southgate's playing career for England means he should relate better to the players at his disposal having been there in a tournament situation himself and indeed failed and I dare say he has picked up a few things that he felt worked for managers he played under as well as things that didn't. That will win him a certain amount of respect with the players he is taking charge of.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Give him the job, I have more respect for him than I ever have for Sam, The wally with the brolly, The Turnip, or Woy. The predessors list is pretty appalling.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The days when the "marquee managers" would take an international job, let alone the England job have gone. Any manager who wants to be seen as the benchmark in their profession wants to have the day-to-day involvement of managing a big club, not to manage an international side for 2 matches, then not see his players again for 3 months.

Which is why they went for Allerdyce and not an up and coming manager, it is a surefire way to ruin a CV for a younger manager.

I would prefer someone like Warnock, he at least seems able to get more out of a team in a relatively short space of time, and I am sure he would prefer the stop-start nature of International football and not the regular games.

I can't stand the bloke, but you can't deny he is good at what he does. The job at Rotherham last season was miraculous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That ball from Lallana for the pen was PHENOMENAL.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Which is why they went for Allerdyce and not an up and coming manager, it is a surefire way to ruin a CV for a younger manager.

I would prefer someone like Warnock, he at least seems able to get more out of a team in a relatively short space of time, and I am sure he would prefer the stop-start nature of International football and not the regular games.

I can't stand the bloke, but you can't deny he is good at what he does. The job at Rotherham last season was miraculous.

I'd rather have a manager who has experienced international football as a player than someone who, whilst being a very accomplished manager in lower division football, is not used to the very different demands of international football. Indeed, if you look at Warnock's career, he has been found wanting every time he has managed in the top flight. Southgate by contrast has seen at first-hand what has happened in tournaments from a player's point of view, which may well mean he has an insight into what things can be done to help the players handle the expectation in tournaments in the future, which is the key thing rather than just the usual cliches about pride, passion, bulldog spirit etc.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Doesn't matter who gets it as the tactics will always be the same and there's never a togetherness with England players...just big egos who're only interested in playing the domestic game.
Nothing ever changes sadly as most supporters have lost interest in the national side....If international football here was scrapped I don't think many would be to fussed.

Sad but true. I did think that it might be fatigue after a long season, which caused the regular shambles in summer tournament football, but the example of the three other "home" nations last June put paid to that. I can see no other reason than the fact that the PL pays so much, that playing for their country just does not have the same degree of attraction, and they lack any real passion. The stories are starting to emerge this last year or so of players doing their best to get out of it. The euros 2016 were the last straw for me -rarely watch it now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

He's more of a crook than Allardyce. He'd last about 10 minutes.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'd rather have a manager who has experienced international football as a player than someone who, whilst being a very accomplished manager in lower division football, is not used to the very different demands of international football. Indeed, if you look at Warnock's career, he has been found wanting every time he has managed in the top flight. Southgate by contrast has seen at first-hand what has happened in tournaments from a player's point of view, which may well mean he has an insight into what things can be done to help the players handle the expectation in tournaments in the future, which is the key thing rather than just the usual cliches about pride, passion, bulldog spirit etc.

Someone like Joachim Low, Aragones, Fernando Santos, Bert Van Mawijk, Marcello Lippi, Domaenech, Phil Scolari.......

None of those played (m)any games for their national team and it didn't hurt them.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
We're like the effing Harlem Gobetrotters under Meadowlark Southgate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here