Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia, alive and well in Bristol

Jameson

My brother and I, and my mates from Burgess Hill and Plymouth - all of us straight - went for a pre-match in the Bedminster Cricket club before the game yesterday.
(BTW - if we ever play them again this place is highly recommended for parking, beers, friendly banter, ten minute walk to the ground)

Got talking to the locals, like you do. The conversation with this one guy went something like this:

Yokel "I've never been to Brighton. What's it like?"
Seagulls on Tour "Yeah Brilliant, Buzzing city, by the seaside. Too many brilliant pubs to even begin to tell you"
Y "Yeah but aren't all the pubs, err....... dodgy"
SoT "What you mean...... 'dodgy'?"
Y "Well you know...... we sometimes think we have a lot of gays here in Brizzle, but in Brighton, well, you know......?"
SoT "Oh I see, is that what you mean by 'dodgy?'"
Y "Yeah, are they all like that?"
SoT (indicating to all the six or seven of us that he's talking to) "But we're all gay, is that a problem for you?"
Y (stuttering and shuffling about) " err, um, err, no, um,no, err, fair play to you, no fine of course, err right......."

Unbelieveable. And very funny. This was the first time I have actually seen what it must be like for people who face prejudice every day. Quite enlightening.

Important to note - Not all Bristol City fans are homophobic.
But it was fantastic to witness this utter chump's uncomfortable squirming.

Two nil to the Gay Boys
Two nil to the Gay Boys :safeway:
Actually by describing the City fan as a yokel are you not similarly guilty of stereotyping and making derogatory assumptions? Just wondering, like.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
True story, in 1999 I was working as an instructor at the RN Fire Fighting School. One of my colleagues would forever go on & on, with all the old favourites. "Watch yer back lads, here comes the Brighton bum boy" & so on & so forth. Now, I'd had this all my career, but this guy was a bully, who only started as soon as there was an audience. When ashore one night with all the staff he started in a pub in Southsea. To cut a long story short, I stuck one on him. Couple of days later he was arrested!

http://murderpedia.org/male.G/g/grimson-allan.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1245917.stm

His name was Al Grimson; turns out he was gay, & a psychopath, & a serial killer!
Before anyone gets on my case saying "not all gay people are murdering psychopaths", I know that!
Just a very strange but true tale about this freak that used to go on & on about Brighton being full of queers.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
English is the 2nd language in Bognor, with Polish being the 1st.

Walk down the London road pedestrian bit and close your eyes and i would agree.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
True story, in 1999 I was working as an instructor at the RN Fire Fighting School. One of my colleagues would forever go on & on, with all the old favourites. "Watch yer back lads, here comes the Brighton bum boy" & so on & so forth. Now, I'd had this all my career, but this guy was a bully, who only started as soon as there was an audience. When ashore one night with all the staff he started in a pub in Southsea. To cut a long story short, I stuck one on him. Couple of days later he was arrested!

His name was Al Grimson; turns out he was gay, & a psychopath, & a serial killer!
Before anyone gets on my case saying "not all gay people are murdering psychopaths", I know that!
Just a very strange but true tale about this freak that used to go on & on about Brighton being full of queers.

****. Glad you didn't get the baseball on your head. Great life story.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
A lot of the Teds fans are bullies , By that i mean the brain dead element. After all they are the south west's answer to the Yorkshire massive. Utter:tosser: who i despise with a passion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What a strange experience. I'd be a bit freaked out by this.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Actually by describing the City fan as a yokel are you not similarly guilty of stereotyping and making derogatory assumptions? Just wondering, like.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

No I don't believe the OP is, because he has evidence due to the experience. The guys in this bar put themselves in the stereotypical catagory as a yokel as the OP puts it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It is known locally as Polish Regis, the local constabulary have even employed poles so as they can engage with the locals.

Not a bad idea.

Oct 83 fun days . Going to Ashton gate as Shots fan was always fun. Went there as an observer with Everton in the away end with a couple of mates who are Toffee's and they didn't want to know . Utter Turds.

Went up to city v Plymouth and they tried turning over the Plymouth mini buses,Went up to Brentord v city and they kicked the gates down,went up to city v Mansfield at wembley and the city had the police on there toes outside the Greyhound pub!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What a strange experience. I'd be a bit freaked out by this.

Trust me, we all were who worked with him at the time. There is a lot more to it than just that little insight; the guy is a truly nasty specimen & it was a very surreal episode in my life.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Went up to city v Plymouth and they tried turning over the Plymouth mini buses,Went up to Brentord v city and they kicked the gates down,went up to city v Mansfield at wembley and the city had the police on there toes outside the Greyhound pub!

87 Freight Rover? Saw plenty of City turmed over that day ,they beat us us in The Semi Final but got a suprise when they walked around the ground to take the home end that night.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Happy days! City v Bolton at Wembley the year before Mansfield was lively too! Seemed like half the north west turned out for that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here