Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone on here go to University in the early 70's?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was slightly later and I couldn't claim travel to or from university at the start of term. And housing benefit didn't come in until 1982, we didn't claim that in the 80s.

The rest rings true - my overdraft after leaving uni was a whopping £240

I remember claiming travel at the start and end of term and an allowance for travel to/from Uni every day. This was early 80s. But you didn't need receipts or proof you'd spent this so I would hitchhike Brighton to Warwick at start of term, get my Mum to put my bike in the guards van on the only daily direct Brighton-Coventry train and pick it up at the other end, then cycle to/from Uni every day (or when I could be bothered to go in). Don't think the guard's van thing was allowed but all it cost me was a platform ticket.

PG

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I did my degree as a mature student - 2 nights a week for 5 years 1989-94.
My employer "sponsored" me - paid the modest course fee and for all my books - gave me time off for exams and "study leave".
But I was a full-time working employee and still expected to provide my pound of flesh .....
Hard going, but all worth it in the end.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember claiming travel at the start and end of term and an allowance for travel to/from Uni every day. This was early 80s. But you didn't need receipts or proof you'd spent this

Well, no-one told me that. I'd have been quids-in

Ah - so he's lost all his money between having submitted the application forms and her going? How very unfortunate! :wink:

Grants were decided on salary not on assets. He could well have thousands of pounds of savings wiped out by mistaken belief in a roulette system. He'd have to have lost the money AND had considerable debts though, otherwise her maintenance could have come out of his salary.

You'd also have to find an excuse for her to travel to uni. There would be nothing stopping her staying at home and going to a local university: her fees and travel (as I've just found out) would be paid

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
You'd also have to find an excuse for her to travel to uni. There would be nothing stopping her staying at home and going to a local university: her fees and travel (as I've just found out) would be paid

I think this is all OK. It's a comedy movie so we have some artistic licence. Just wanna get the basics right.

As a side note we have finally raised the money for this now and are shooting in June. Very exciting.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I went tu University 1972 - 76. I did a languages degree so had a year abroad.

My parents both died in 1970, so I inherited a small amount of money - £3,000 - which was invested and gave me a small income. So when it came to applying for grants, that was taken in to account, much to my disgust at the time. I was at Oxford, and the levels of grant were higher, but even with working in the summer holidays and so on, I still had to call on the savings/inheritance. Being by myself, I also thought I needed a car, to save relying on other people for lifts all the time, not having parents around.

The last bit of the savings went after I finished and was getting married in 1977, and it was the deposit for the maisonette that we bought to get us on the property ladder.

Hope this might be helpful.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This probably covers it...

Basically this is the problem. I am the writer on this - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179231/ - and we are currently having a few issues with a bit of detail regarding Uni in 1970.

Basically the plot requires a young girls Dad to have to raise some money for her to go to University in Manchester, The problem is that it was all covered by grants / fees back then as you say.

Was this the case or were there other things you / your parents had to fork out for?

Cheers.
Great to see you making this, being a boy from Bromley (albeit born in 1988) I am looking forward to this! I have the Bromley Boys book which I am rather fond of

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Great to see you making this, being a boy from Bromley (albeit born in 1988) I am looking forward to this! I have the Bromley Boys book which I am rather fond of

Cheers - it's a very loose adaptation of that book. The author is actually writing the follow up this season with Bromley in the Conference.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Cheers - it's a very loose adaptation of that book. The author is actually writing the follow up this season with Bromley in the Conference.

Brilliant, I will have to keep a look out for that. I am now however very homesick and wanting to wander down Hayes Lane for a match!

Are you filming around there? It would be really interesting to see where it takes place

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Brilliant, I will have to keep a look out for that. I am now however very homesick and wanting to wander down Hayes Lane for a match!

Are you filming around there? It would be really interesting to see where it takes place

I think they'd like to shoot as much as possible at Hayes Lane but being that it's set in 1970 I think the art design lot will be looking for more ramshackle old grounds.

Have you read 32 Programmes? It's another one written by Dave and is brilliant.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think they'd like to shoot as much as possible at Hayes Lane but being that it's set in 1970 I think the art design lot will be looking for more ramshackle old grounds.

Have you read 32 Programmes? It's another one written by Dave and is brilliant.

I haven't no, however I have just purchased it on Amazon on the basis of your post!

Would be great if you could get some filming down there, it's a shame as it wasn't that long ago that it still was a bit ramshackle. There was even the hole in the fence at the back where you could sneak in.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You must be great fun to go to the pictures with!!!

If the film is poor enough not to keep my attention, I do sometimes think about plot holes. I've learnt to keep them to myself though - the code of conduct has always ensured that I've never espoused my theories in the cinema, but more recently I've stopped calling them out at all, even after the film. The look I got from my gf when I started on my latest expose put paid to that activity.

This apparent exchange about Armageddon has proven to be a particularly helpful reminder that no one is interested:

Ben Affleck: "Michael (Michael Bay, possibly the worst film director known to mankind) - wouldn't it be easier to train astronauts to drill than to train drillers to be astronauts?"

Michael Bay: "STFU, Ben"

Though, it has to be said that I'm inherently on Ben's side of that conversation.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I seem to remember hearing something along the lines that having divorced parents was often taken as a reason for someone to get a full grant, relatively irrespective of how much money the parents had. Could be bolox/uni urban myth.

I went to uni 1981-84. My parents were divorced, and I was living with my mum it was assessed on my mum's income, so I got a full grant.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Half a dozen of you could rent a flat from the council in Manchester in 1982/3 for the princely sum of £2 per week each. Although that was in Moss Side/Rusholme, and local attitudes to students ranged from indifferent to target practice.

Half a dozen of you could rent a flat from the council in Manchester in 1982/3 for the princely sum of £2 per week each. Although that was in Moss Side/Rusholme, and local attitudes to students ranged from indifferent to target practice.

I knew of students at Leeds in the early seventies who pooled part of their grants to buy property that was being lined up for demolition as part of the Council's road building plans. When the time for demolition actually arrived, the students sold the property to the Council under the compulsory purchase arrangements - outcome:- free housing for the time you spent at university.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

In my final year at Bradford (1981), I paid £6 a week rent for my share of a rather nice house in a non-student area, within a few months, I was £17 a week for one room in London - that was a culture shock

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Grants were means-tested: if you were well-off, you didn't any grant; if you were a povvo git, you got the full whack.

You had to be pretty poor to get the full whack, my dad wasn't well off by any means but still had to fork out £100 a year. I was at uni with people who didn't get a bean though.

It was more complex than that. The grants were means tested based on the income of "the supporting parent".

My parents were divorced and I lived with my mum and stepdad. My dad was not badly off, and nor was my stepdad, so technically I shouldn't have got much grant at all, if anything.

But my mum was a stay-at-home housewife, and my grant was assessed based on her income alone, which was zero. Hence I got full whack. As did my two sisters and two step-sisters.

My dear-departed mum actually had a social conscience and complained that this was unfair and we shouldn't be getting all this free money. She was effectively told by the authorities to shut up and enjoy it. So we did.

Edit: just spotted that MoH and Lush already said the same thing... Ho well, must read whole thread before posting...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here