Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Brighton like in 1984?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Brighton was a brilliant place to be during the early 80's, 80-85 Zap club, beach parties the women, hot summers fannytastic !!!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was in Birkenhead in 1984. Last year of school and was really getting into birds and fashion.

Birkenhead you say young Mr Hillbilly, ah bit of a long shot..... you never had any dealings with the Birkenhead Bulldogs Scooter club per chance ?

Went to one of their scooter parties once in some run down dodgy pub, and everyone slept in the pub on the pool tables and benches etc, they then came to Wigan and caused all sorts of problems nasty nasty right wing idiots some of them, straight out of this is England story line I tell ya.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I saw Ultravox at the Brighton Centre but thought it was earlier than 1984. I thought they were pretty poor in concert. Remember a sort of lampshade coming down for one of their songs to make it look atmsopheric. Think Midge Ure was sitting on a stool or something like that for that particular song.

Yeah I think it was 1982, I went as well

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
So what were the fashions in 1984?

How tolerant was the city? Was there ever a genuine problem with racism at the football?

Fashions at Brighton Carnival, 1984. The city has always been one of the most tolerant places, compared to others. Ahead of its time, in many ways. Racism? No more or less than anywhere else, but there were already a LOT of foreign students from the Near East as well as everywhere else.

19840714-f_BrightonCarnival_TJS7p101f.jpg (Hope this works)

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Not sure if it was even the 80s, but I seem to have a lingering memory of seeing the film 'Soldier Blue' in a cinema at the top right hand side of West street....if it there was a cinema what is it now?
I may be confusing it with the one where bk is in North St now, but really have a vague memory of it being West St.

Academy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's a brilliant set of pix of HMV and Churchill Square from early 1985.
I worked there christmas 84/85. My job was to play Band Aid and Wham on the record player behind the counter every few tracks. Thats pretty much all we sold and that years NOW!
No.1 in the "Alternative/Indie" single charts (in HMV Brighton at least) was Upside Down by the Jesus and Mary Chain.
Sold a fair few of these too.
HMV , sorry to admit this, allowed staff to take home up to 3 LPs per night to effectively tape them and when brought back were rebagged in the plastic stuff and sold as new.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmvgetcloser/sets/72157625519187579/with/5279610923/

Fashions at Brighton Carnival, 1984. The city has always been one of the most tolerant places, compared to others. Ahead of its time, in many ways. Racism? No more or less than anywhere else, but there were already a LOT of foreign students from the Near East as well as everywhere else.

View attachment 50261 (Hope this works)

That's you that is :)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
love that photo of the Virgin record shop,remember buying Rattus Norvegicus in there only to get home and see the label on the disc was different,thinking I'd been ripped off,on closer inspection it was actually a Portugese import,made up with that

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I teach in the East End now and the students asked last week 'How did you down load music when you were our age?' 'I'd put on a big coat and go to WHSmiths in Churchill Square!' Totally lost on them.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Coasters was the only nightclub I ever actually liked going to, Rory was brilliantly camp and the music he played wasn't just disco, made for a great mix of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here