Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Varifocal bins

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You are saying that distance glasses impair your near vision? Mine (I still hav some) don't impair mine. They have no effect. So you are saying you can read fine with no glasses, but when you put your distance glasses on you can't any more but could in the past? Weird. Why not simply take your glasses off when you need to read? If your problem were commonplace everyone with a vision issue would need varifocals.

Let's fac it.....its you, mate. :mad::lolol:

That’s exactly what I’m saying and I do have to take them off to read. As I said was never like this for 20+ years and only started a couple of years ago. My opticians tell me it’s not unusual but I’m yet to meet anyone else with the same problem. :D

He is not on his own :blush: my eyesight was fine to read and distance for most of my life but in the last 2 years not. Now my eyes are so bad that I have to take them off as you say and put my face really close or use a second pair of reading glasses. Varifocals would be great for me but I am one that could never get on with them, I felt like Mr Magoo.

Not on his own at all - exactly what I have to do. I can't read a book or use a computer with the glasses I have to wear for driving or watching telly. Indeed, I can't read the time clearly on the car radio when I'm driving without lifting my head to look underneath my glasses (or removing them). I thought this was normal. I'm going to have to research this now!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Like most things in like you do get what you pay for. Quite a few friends bought the cheap to mid range ones and all of them had issues adjusting to them and gave up. I've worn them for 4 years and from the off I always bought the top of the range Zeiss lenses and adapted to them very easily with no problems. Sure they don't come cheap but the quality my vision is not something I want to skimp on. With the more expensive ones you will not have the much reported distortions which cheap ones suffer from.

Don't get me started on multi or various focal contact lenses as that's a lot more tricky with it very difficult to achieve both perfect near and far vision.

The varifocals I couldnt get on with cost me £250 just for the lenses. So no some people cant adjust to them no matter how much you pay. Those with worse eyesight are paying through the nose for lenses that cost the same to make as the average weaker lenses. It used to cost them more but not any more.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Go for it. They are great and you’ll get used to them quickly. Choose a design that suits all occasions and take them up on their extra pair free and get second pair tinted as sun glasses so you can read outdoors in the summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not on his own at all - exactly what I have to do. I can't read a book or use a computer with the glasses I have to wear for driving or watching telly. Indeed, I can't read the time clearly on the car radio when I'm driving without lifting my head to look underneath my glasses (or removing them). I thought this was normal. I'm going to have to research this now!

Same

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You need varifocals.

<sigh>

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks everyone. I think I have my answer now.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You need varifocals.

<sigh>

No - because my eyesight is fine for reading or using the computer. If I had varifocals (or even bifocals) it would have to be for distance vision at the top, down to pure plain glass at the bottom. But this wouldn't work when using a computer (or reading). At a computer I move my eyes down to the keyboard, and up to the screen, both in perfect vision without glasses. With your suggestion I would have to physically move my head upwards and stick my nose in the air when looking at the screen.

Nope, just take your glasses off for close up reading and computer work, leave them on for everything else :shrug:

Which is what I do, sort of. (I don't always wear them for walking around and so on).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No - because my eyesight is fine for reading or using the computer. If I had varifocals (or even bifocals) it would have to be for distance vision at the top, down to pure plain glass at the bottom. But this wouldn't work when using a computer (or reading). At a computer I move my eyes down to the keyboard, and up to the screen, both in perfect vision without glasses. With your suggestion I would have to physically move my head upwards and stick my nose in the air when looking at the screen.

Which is what I do, sort of. (I don't always wear them for walking around and so on).

We are fast turning into #oldmansnet :lolol:

Haemorrhoids, now.....

boik

A friend had this done. He said the worse thing about it....it’s very unpleasant and once they’ve done one eye you then know what they’re going to do to the next eye.

You think that's bad. I've had 2 detached retinae both requiring full vitrectomy and re-attachment with a cryogenic wand. Under a local anaesthetic. Not recommended!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You think that's bad. I've had 2 detached retinae both requiring full vitrectomy and re-attachment with a cryogenic wand. Under a local anaesthetic. Not recommended!

I’m feeling queasy.

D

Deleted member 2719

Took a day or two to get used to them but I don’t even notice any more. Splash out for best lenses as I believe there is a noticeable difference between the cheaper ones and the best.

I would go with that, I bought mid range frames with good lenses, paid in excess of 500 quid after a bit of wheeling and dealing with an independent optician.

They were amazing and worth it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finally got round to getting varifocal glasses. They’re a bit strange.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Watch you don’t fall over steps and obstacles, or start looking over the end of your nose when looking down! Proper old man stuff!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The oddest experience for me was carrying a cup of tea upstairs to Mrs V in the morning and at the angle I looked at my hand the mug looked elliptical rather than circular. Who needs drugs.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Recommend them, got used to them in an instant, if like a lot of place you get 2 fo1 one get one with bias for distance and the other biased to near sight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here