Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

Who was the best British Prime Minister of the last 60 or so years?

• Theresa May

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Gordon Brown

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Tony Blair

Votes: 72 25.6%
  • John Major

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Margaret Thatcher

Votes: 142 50.5%
  • James Callaghan

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Harold Wilson

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Edward Heath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harold Wilson

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Alec Douglas-Home

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Harold Macmillan

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Anthony Eden

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Debt? Osbourne spent in three years as much as Blair did in thirteen. Or are you referring to the Global economic downturn which is apparently all Labour's fault?

New Labour increased national debt from £347B to a £1,011B. In a time of relatively low general inflation, so it cannot be explained as static in real terms. In addition they left Government haemorrhaging £170B per annum, a run away train of state expenditure and interest payments exceeding income, still not fully stopped now.

IMG_2634.PNG

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not surprising considering he's a war criminal.

Yawn.

Do you want to have a grown up debate on Blair’s legacy or do you just want to peddle the ‘war criminal’ line?

Iraq was poorly planned, poorly reasoned, badly advised and horrendously executed. But it wasn’t illegal.

If Labour has a leader with even half of Blair’s nouse they’d be in Government right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
New Labour increased national debt from £347B to a £1,011B. In a time of relatively low general inflation, so it cannot be explained as static in real terms. In addition they left Government haemorrhaging £170B per annum, a run away train of state expenditure and interest payments exceeding income, still not fully stopped now.

View attachment 97117

They did, but you'd need to beat Osborne up just as much as Brown/Blair on that one. The Tories had similar spending plans to Labour in 2007, with the recession/depression looming on the horizon. Remember what caused Brown to duck out of his validation election soon after his appointment?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You can have a serious, grown-up conversation on what Blair achieved, or you can just shout 'war criminal' and refuse to enter a debate. I'm sensing you're the latter?

You're the one shouting accusations. I was merely responding to someone else's post.

Do you agree that Blair's education policy was worse than his decision to lead us into Iraq?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You're the one shouting accusations. I was merely responding to someone else's post.

Do you agree that Blair's education policy was worse than his decision to lead us into Iraq?

Leading us into Iraq was worse than his education policy. Iraq was a disaster.

Between 1997 and 2007 the core “per pupil” funding rose by 48%. Class sizes reduced as a result of adding 35,000 more teachers over the same period. Teachers wages increased by 18% in real terms. The result? A 14% increase in 11 year olds reaching their expected levels in English, Maths and Science.. so yes, I think his education policy was better than Iraq. [emoji85]

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Between 1997 and 2007 the core “per pupil” funding rose by 48%. Class sizes reduced as a result of adding 35,000 more teachers over the same period. Teachers wages increased by 18% in real terms. The result? A 14% increase in 11 year olds reaching their expected levels in English, Maths and Science.. so yes, I think his education policy was better than Iraq. [emoji85]

Is that the snowflake generation?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Great, so you agree with my original post.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As leaders, Thatcher and Blair are head and shoulders above the rest. Both of them had conviction, were strong-willed, they had a vision for the country and they were big players on the global stage.

Cameron - by comparison - lacked vision, conviction and was a lightweight on the international stage. In turn, Theresa May is like Cameron, only worse. Her General Election campaign last year was quite simply shambolic, she is easily the worst leader in the OP's list.

To me Blair and Cameron were 2 peas in a pod.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Not surprising considering he's a war criminal.

2 Tories voted against going to war with Iraq, it was an unanimous vote to go to war against Iraq by a democratic parliament. If you agree or disagree with the decision do you agree the correct parliamentary procedure was carried forward by the then Prime Minister? I was a Blair fan but my political knowledge on the whole Iraq war is very very limited. Hindsight tells me we made a mistake going to war but does that make Blair a war criminal and what does that make the other political representatives who voted yes on the day?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Is that the snowflake generation?

[emoji1303] yeah, always winging about not being able to afford a home and being trapped in rented.. bloody snowflakes.

Not like the generation before them, with their jobs for life, affordable housing and retiring on full.. they had it tough. [emoji848]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But he hasn't.

He never once admitted he was wrong - which he most definitely was.

You could also argue that the extremely lax financial monitoring policies he and Brown followed were directly responsible for the financial crisis. But he legged it before that came home to roost leaving Brown to carry the can.

I find his recent attempts to stick his nose into the Brexit debate as laughable - still thinks he's important enough to make a difference.

Can't stand him.

Putting aside the war debate I cannot fathom how you can hold Blair and Brown to account regarding lax regulation when at the time everyone else, notably the opposition, were calling for far more deregulation, a programme of which commenced under Thatcher.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It seems to me that each PM is worse than the one before.

A slow race to the bottom really.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
2 Tories voted against going to war with Iraq, it was an unanimous vote to go to war against Iraq by a democratic parliament. If you agree or disagree with the decision do you agree the correct parliamentary procedure was carried forward by the then Prime Minister? I was a Blair fan but my political knowledge on the whole Iraq war is very very limited. Hindsight tells me we made a mistake going to war but does that make Blair a war criminal and what does that make the other political representatives who voted yes on the day?

He took us to war on the back of a lie. End of.

UN weapons inspectors had said for years that Saddam had no WMD.

They were proved correct.

Blair and Bush went to war for regime change, which is illegal. They weren't even backed by the UN.

War criminals the pair of them.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yawn.

Do you want to have a grown up debate on Blair’s legacy or do you just want to peddle the ‘war criminal’ line?

Iraq was poorly planned, poorly reasoned, badly advised and horrendously executed. But it wasn’t illegal.

If Labour has a leader with even half of Blair’s nouse they’d be in Government right now.

It was if it was done in the name of regime change - Which it most definitely was. Did they find any WMD? Didn't UN inspectors say at the time that they had none?

I was a lifelong Labour supporter until Blair destroyed the party - Funnily enough I re-joined when he left - And I'm not alone on that front :thumbsup:

And by the way, stop being so patronising. People are allowed differing views you know.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yawn.

I think the div aka [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] might disagree!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here