Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minutes Applause for Regis.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I fully accept what he did for football but I am not in favour of this for any player and it now seems as if they are looking for an excuse to have a minutes applause.
It says more about you if you can't take a minute out of your life to clap your hands, there'll be thousands of kids there of which it will do no harm for their learning..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, he was a footballer, just the same as the other white and black players in his team.

I don't see colour, I see football being played.

As it should be.

But you're applying modern social attitudes to a time Regis was playing, downplaying - even ignoring - the abuse and persecution he went through, and his means not just of overcoming it, but inspiring others - some of whom have gone on to be the greatest of their time (Henry, Gullitt). Erasing that from history has no value.

It's incredible to think that for all the pioneering, trailblazing, inspiring work he undertook - actively and passively - in order to make football (and hence wider society) just that bit better and more tolerable from a racial equality viewpoint, there are still those who would deny his place, deny his legacy through self-acknowledged ignorance - and deny him ONE MINUTE of their time in appreciation of his efforts.

Because this is, for the most part, what he is being appreciated for.

It's quite embarrassing that it needs explaining - especially on such a basic level.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Okay, I'll give it a go.

Regis was a footballer in the top flight of the league. A good player.

He was black. There weren't many black players around.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

I like that.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Okay, I'll give it a go.

He was given a lot of shit about it. He rode the monkey chants, the bananas, and the threatening posture of so many fans.

He was called up to play for England. Most people get a pat on the back and letters of support. He got a bullet in the post.

He maintained his dignity throughout. He trailblazed a route for black youngsters who looked up to him and thought ''I can do this''.

He died young with the respect of a country- many now deep in thought about his legacy and saying ''Never again should players be allowed to experience this treatment''

I hope this answers your question as to way he may be more deserving than others. It's because most didn't have to get to the top with so much shite being thrown at them. And neither has their courage proved such a turning point in cultural attitudes.

It's unimaginable now, but he was sent a bullet when he was called up for England.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No I would stop the minutes applause altogether if left to me for both players and supporters.

BG, time now for you to belt up on this thread. The OP has now had it exlained and accepts the points. Have a read yourself. :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No I would stop the minutes applause altogether if left to me for both players and supporters.

Nobody has to do it.
If you disagree with a public show of respect and remembrance, don’t applaud/stay silent and stay sat in your s at, you are not forced to take part.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Exactly. And it was Cyrille and the other two members of the "Three Degrees" and their resolute determination to continue playing on through abuse, death threats, monkey chants and having bananas thrown at them that means today players of colour no longer get that kind of abuse from football fans (although the players still manage to revert to neanderthal ways and racially abuse fellow players from time to time)

??Really??:moo:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Okay, I'll give it a go.

I didn't know that! Gulp! Hard to believe, thank God times have changed

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The OP is trying take the subjects colour out of the equation which is exactly what should have happened 30 years ago. Unfortunate it didn’t happen this he suffered terrible abuse yet still succeeded.
In conclusion the reason he deserves this tribute is because despite the prejudices of the past he succeeded, passed away too early and stands apart from many others. Ironically.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
It's the fashion to go over the top when someone dies and maybe exaggerate what they did.When you hear people praising him I get it that
some of them are just repeating the praises of others and don't actually know what he did.

He seemed a nice guy and for sure he was one of the better known players from that era I grew up in. However a minutes silence is over the top. Do it for him and you have to do it for anyone on his level.

In this PC era he is probably getting a minutes silence through pressure because he is black.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
He was a pioneer. Minute's applause not just for what he did but for our very own Chris Hughton (still one of a very few black managers, remember) and Liam Rosenior who are following, so ably and articulately, in his footsteps.
Will make my old mate Gerd happy. Gerd was the organiser of the German posse who came over for Fans United in 1997 and has come to games whenever possible ever since. He is now the diversity and anti discrimination officer for FIFA and will be there tomorrow :)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
FAO the OP.

Cyrille Regis's impact transcended the club he played for. Regis was not just a major figure for WBA but for football as a whole hence the interest in showing some appreciation for the man. By all means don't join in if that is your wish, no problem with that at all, but don't start snarky threads on NSC when you know full well why some fans would like to make this gesture.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It's the fashion to go over the top when someone dies and maybe exaggerate what they did.When you hear people praising him I get it that
some of them are just repeating the praises of others and don't actually know what he did.

He seemed a nice guy and for sure he was one of the better known players from that era I grew up in. However a minutes silence is over the top. Do it for him and you have to do it for anyone on his level.

In this PC era he is probably getting a minutes silence through pressure because he is black.

I would stand and applaud anyone who made a stand against racism, that suffered dogs abuse for being a footballer that had a different skin colour to some, and, inspired a generation of kids with his dignity.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am not a fan of random applauses for dead footballers but Cyrille Regis deserves applause for how he changed the English game for the better.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I'll be clapping tomorrow to exorcise some shameful memories from the 1970s. I'm ashamed of myself for thinking as a stupid teenager that fielding black players was "cheating". I never joined-in but I'm also ashamed of being with people who honked monkey noises and shouted "you black c***" at Vince Hilaire when he turned out for Palace.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here