Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking intent

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would maybe help if this season didn't keep being interrupted by all these wretched international breaks. Halfway through November and it doesn't feel like the season's really started. PL just seems to be more and more of a peripheral activity squeezed in between the CL and a host of mainly meaningless international games. How is a club supposed to get into any kind of PL rhythm unless they have the luxury of a bottomless squad of talent available to them?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes - we do seem to attack less, as the stats show we have had the least shots in the Prem this season. Get used to it. As I've said before we are in the business of survival and if CH thinks that our current style will achieve that then who are we to argue? We are not in the Entertainment business anymore - it is more vital to survive for financial reasons than open up and be entertaining (see Fulham for what can happen with that approach).

Its not a binary choice however, play dull, defensive footbal and stay up or become more attacking and go down. We play dull, defensive football and still lose. Its the coaching, game plan and startegy and its getting into the players heads.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Because that is what happened after Mike Bailey was sacked.
Sack Chris Hughton? Are you mad???

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I tried to explain the reason for his sacking was the finance and the fans not attending due to not liking his football, which won't happen or should it to Hughton , as the club have already got the fans money, it was the fans responsible for his sacking. Up to 12 k fans we're staying away and I am no t saying I agree with it but there is a growing trend being seen posted here

Last edited:

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
I tried to explain the reason for his sacking was the finance and the fans not attending due to not liking his football, which won't happen or should it to Hughton , as the club have already got the fans money, it was the fans responsible for his sacking
Are not the Fans responsible for every managers sacking?
The obvious exception are those who were headhunted. lol

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Are not the Fans responsible for every managers sacking?
The obvious exception are those who were headhunted. lol

Yes they are and in my edited post I make the observation that there is a growing trend against the current style of football

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I genuinely think we would have continued to be more attacking against Baa-diff if Dale hadn't seen red, so seems a strange day for the OP to post re alleged negativity...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its not a binary choice however, play dull, defensive footbal and stay up or become more attacking and go down. We play dull, defensive football and still lose. Its the coaching, game plan and startegy and its getting into the players heads.

4 PL wins so far, so hardly losing tootball.

Meanwhile, there are some PL clubs with just one win.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Because that is what happened after Mike Bailey was sacked.
Sack Chris Hughton? Are you mad???

You've already had the situation explained to you. The club's demise and almost extinction had nothing to do with sacking a manager and everything to do with fans leaving in their thousands because of the turgid style of football. That and players on stupidly long and well paying contracts. As had been already said: in 1982/83 and into the 90s, attendances meant everything to a football club's finances/survival/success. Less than 10,000 in Div 1 was the beginning of our troubles. Sacking Hughton is unlikely to send us into the kind of spiral that saw us playing in Kent for 2 years. Dropping out of the Premier League will be difficult to deal with financially-I dread to think what it costs just for the stadium staff.

This isn't a sack Hughton comment by the way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You've already had the situation explained to you. The club's demise and almost extinction had nothing to do with sacking a manager and everything to do with fans leaving in their thousands because of the turgid style of football. That and players on stupidly long and well paying contracts. As had been already said: in 1982/83 and into the 90s, attendances meant everything to a football club's finances/survival/success. Less than 10,000 in Div 1 was the beginning of our troubles. Sacking Hughton is unlikely to send us into the kind of spiral that saw us playing in Kent for 2 years. Dropping out of the Premier League will be difficult to deal with financially-I dread to think what it costs just for the stadium staff.

This isn't a sack Hughton comment by the way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good points about football pre-Sky money.

But IMO it was a vicious circle. Selling our very best players prematurely such as Horton and Case (who went on to remain quality in the top flight for many more seasons), and others far too cheaply such as Saunders. Giving us a worse team, more home defeats, relegations and lower crowds. Long before the land thiefs arrived, the decline under the latter part of Bamber’s reign, then Sizen/Bedson was a disaster. I remember the fans banners.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did we set up differently against these sides? The difference tends to be the performance of the opposition and ourselves. If we are at our best, we can have periods of "domination" in the game. But if we are not, then the reality is that we need to be hard to beat to get anything from any game. The same with the opposition - the same for just about every game we won last year.. Our greatest strength is defending as a unit - and we can do that consistently. We are not, yet, a strong attacking team, that is the hope that the new signings since promotion give us. I just don't get why anyone thinks that by leaving more players up the pitch means we would pick up more points. Keeping the ball more effectively when we win it back, absolutely would make a difference, but that's not about attacking intent or defensive instructions. That's about technique, confidence, movement - we are a long way from being able to do that even with everybody fit. Having a set-up that plays to your strengths is what just about every manager, except Fulham, tries to do, and Fulham will be changing their philosophy pretty dramatically in the coming weeks. Wont be as pretty but will pick them up more points and the manager will be lauded for it accordingly..

Great post. The big problem we've had this season is that our passing radar hasn't been as sharp for most of the season. In part, this is due to Gross' absence (whose ability to make assists, defence-splitting passes, passes that hurt the opposition, etc, isn't really a point of debate), in part due to Propper's less extended absence (whose contribution is a far greater topic of debate -- FWIW, I think we're missing his vision, his ability to move the ball quickly, his ability to get himself into a position so that he can move the ball to a teammate), in part to do with the fact that our wingers' passing ability isn't their greatest quality and has been of a poorer standard this season, and in part because despite his defensive solidity and strength, Bong's distribution clearly isn't at PL level. It really isn't down to attacking intent. We've attacked teams, but CH's plan is to protect what you have once you go into the lead. This strategy might disappoint many (it isn't exactly delightful to watch), but it has accrued us far more points than a different strategy would -- and that, ultimately, is what it's about.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Great post. The big problem we've had this season is that our passing radar hasn't been as sharp for most of the season. In part, this is due to Gross' absence (whose ability to make assists, defence-splitting passes, passes that hurt the opposition, etc, isn't really a point of debate), in part due to Propper's less extended absence (whose contribution is a far greater topic of debate -- FWIW, I think we're missing his vision, his ability to move the ball quickly, his ability to get himself into a position so that he can move the ball to a teammate), in part to do with the fact that our wingers' passing ability isn't their greatest quality and has been of a poorer standard this season, and in part because despite his defensive solidity and strength, Bong's distribution clearly isn't at PL level. It really isn't down to attacking intent. We've attacked teams, but CH's plan is to protect what you have once you go into the lead. This strategy might disappoint many (it isn't exactly delightful to watch), but it has accrued us far more points than a different strategy would -- and that, ultimately, is what it's about.

Good point and I just hope you're right about Gross and his influence when he returns. Loads of people a few weeks ago were moaning what a poor start to the season he had made! Lets hope when he returns he's back to the form of last season.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
4 PL wins so far, so hardly losing tootball.

Meanwhile, there are some PL clubs with just one win.

So do we aspire to compare ourselves with those who have won just one game or eight games. Whilst I understand that financially we want to stay in the PL, it would also be good if we were to see some progression in what we do, setting up defensively and continually losing is not progress.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Good point and I just hope you're right about Gross and his influence when he returns. Loads of people a few weeks ago were moaning what a poor start to the season he had made! Lets hope when he returns he's back to the form of last season.

Nine of our fourteen points have come without him being in the team, the same goes for Propper. Just can't see an arguement for their inclusion.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Few people on NSC in need of these:

f8620bcd-79eb-4750-8edb-8a5bfe96d6a9.jpg

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Against that, Everton are our yardstick and it will take five or six more transfer windows before we can actually think about competing with them. Leicester were a one off and it will be interesting to see how they pan out for the rest of the season after the tragic loss of their owner.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It's true that he didn't really find his 'levels' of last season, but he really didn't play that much before getting injured. Poor against Watford (wasn't everyone), good against United, came on late against Liverpool and did well (although could have been more incisive with that finish), injured and kept on for too long against Fulham.
Opponents will have plans for him after what he achieved last season. He's clever enough to know this and to identify ways of counteracting this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here