Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pre-Season game is Sporting Lisbon - Friday 3rd August, kick-off 7.45pm

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Great fixture to show case our club and let European players know what a good club Brighton is now and how far we have come and are going.
This is about our club and is a chance to take friends and youngsters who have not yet been to the Amex.
Also what good timing by the club its between my Wife birthday and wedding anniversary.
Looking forward to the this game and the start of the season.
Let's get behind the club and welcome our new and old players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Isn't he just giving his OWN opinion, which is kinda what Twitter is for? And it's an opinion that is shared by plenty of Albion fans. I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing it to boost his ego...

As for the 'wrong' name thing, I was none the wiser as to the proper name. I figured that's what the vast majority of people called the club anyway :shrug:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

His Twitter bio says "Brighton and Hove Albion reporter with [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]Argus. Follow [MENTION=23140]Albion[/MENTION]News for our web feed". Normally when people who represent an organisation tweet their own opinion they put a disclaimer on their bio stating "opinions my own" or similar. He's trading on the Argus to get follows.

Since he was on Twitter though it would have taken him 10 seconds to put the wrong thing - Sporting Lisbon - in to the search engine to discover that their name is Sporting Clube de Portugal and seven of their first teamers had torn up their contracts the day before the game was announced. Just use "Sporting" if you think the public really don't have the nouse to work out what he's talking about, as I did. It takes less time to type anyway :wink:

I hate this dumbing down. American journalists do it all the time. And I'm judging that tweet as one made by a pro journalist, not as one by one of us. He's missed the story in order to have (another) snide dig at Brighton fans. The cynic may say he's done so to keep the club happy so his info doesn't dry up in the transfer window.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He's missed the story in order to have (another) snide dig at Brighton fans. The cynic may say he's done so to keep the club happy so his info doesn't dry up in the transfer window.

More specifically, (another) snide dig at NSC. He may have said 'elsewhere' but he meant NSC.

Quite sad really.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really looking forward to this now.

Friday night football at the Amex again, will be there :rock:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm in - if the North Stand is open

Tickets will initially be made available in the lower sections of the North, South, East and West Stands, with additional areas opening based on demand. Visiting supporters will be seated in blocks S1B and S1C in the South Stand.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hardly giants. We're a bigger club now which is strange.

The club shouldn't have played this up, the headline is pathetic and the announcement very poorly timed with the turmoil at Sporting.

Sporting most certainly are a very big club in terms of pedigree, they have graced European competitions for decades, whilst we haven't even dipped our toesies in the water yet. We have only had the one season in the Premier League thus far, so the name Sporting Lisbon is has been known across the world for decades, Brighton & Hove Albion? just a year for many people.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
His Twitter bio says "Brighton and Hove Albion reporter with [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]Argus. Follow [MENTION=23140]Albion[/MENTION]News for our web feed". Normally when people who represent an organisation tweet their own opinion they put a disclaimer on their bio stating "opinions my own" or similar. He's trading on the Argus to get follows.

Since he was on Twitter though it would have taken him 10 seconds to put the wrong thing - Sporting Lisbon - in to the search engine to discover that their name is Sporting Clube de Portugal and seven of their first teamers had torn up their contracts the day before the game was announced. Just use "Sporting" if you think the public really don't have the nouse to work out what he's talking about, as I did. It takes less time to type anyway :wink:

I hate this dumbing down. American journalists do it all the time. And I'm judging that tweet as one made by a pro journalist, not as one by one of us. He's missed the story in order to have (another) snide dig at Brighton fans. The cynic may say he's done so to keep the club happy so his info doesn't dry up in the transfer window.
Oh come on, GB. I'm more cynical than most but I see can't see it as an attempt to curry favour. His view - whether of himself or someone connected with the club - it's shared by LOADS of fans. And the wrong name is easily done - again, probably by lots of football fans.

I guess I don't by take Twitter or tweets too seriously. And I don't really get why everything he says is pounced upon by some fans. Yes he's a reporter for the local paper, but he's also just a normal bloke who's entitled to his opinion about whatever he chooses.

IMO, like [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Appalling kick off time and opponents. Good luck to people spending £15 plus on this.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hadn't seen Nxylor's response. Whether it's NSC or Twitter, he clearly has zero time for Albion fans' opinions. Bit last century, that attitude.

The flat/negative response to this fixture will be reflected in the attendance I'm sure, so at least the club can plan properly.

(Five of us would have gone if friendly was daytime, regardless of opposition. None going to this)

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Hadn't seen Nxylor's response. Whether it's NSC or Twitter, he clearly has zero time for Albion fans' opinions. Bit last century, that attitude.

The flat/negative response to this fixture will be reflected in the attendance I'm sure, so at least the club can plan properly.

(Five of us would have gone if friendly was daytime, regardless of opposition. None going to this)

Will likely base my decision to go or not on signings in the meantime, quite keen to see Andone and how CH plans to use Locadia this season, also hope some of the U23 players get an opportunity (Gyokeres/Tiley/Connolly/Molumby), but as things stand I don't think Sporting will be a decent warm-up with all the best players leaving.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

5 tickets for our Albion fix purchased

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Checking the website for this there are a lot of tickets available still. Guessing interest will pick up closer to the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here