Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Better than even more thousands waiting as there is no trains at all! It is pretty disgraceful to strike and not run trains on the fifth. Plus it is culturally insulting.

Put that to the Culture Secretary.

I suspect you'll find though that she doesn't give a **** either.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Better than even more thousands waiting as there is no trains at all! It is pretty disgraceful to strike and not run trains on the fifth. Plus it is culturally insulting.

who will be waiting for the trains out when there were no trains in? it is pretty shitty for the RMT to call the strike on that day, im sure they wanted stir up exactly this reaction, though i think "culturally insulting" is a touch melodramtic.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why? Clearly neither, southern, the conductors or the rmt have any respect for the people in the communities they supposedly serve.

You're forgetting the Government in all this. They're the ones who really don't have any respect for the communities they're supposed to serve.

It's not election time, so they're prepared to see passengers as collateral damage in their fight with the unions.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I think they should all be ashamed. Especially the RMT for calling it on Nov 5 just to cause the most hurt. It is the only weekend strike day so far. Lewes Societies work hard all year for this and central to it is charity fundraising. So perhaps the RMT might like to donate to a very large shortfall. Still at least we can look forward to a Southern Fail effigy.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think they should all be ashamed. Especially the RMT for calling it on Nov 5 just to cause the most hurt. It is the only weekend strike day so far. Lewes Societies work hard all year for this and central to it is charity fundraising. So perhaps the RMT might like to donate to a very large shortfall. Still at least we can look forward to a Southern Fail effigy.

At least Crystal Palace only cost charities a few hundred pounds RMT will cost them thousands, you are right they should be ashamed of themselves

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You're forgetting the Government in all this. They're the ones who really don't have any respect for the communities they're supposed to serve. It's not election time, so they're prepared to see passengers as collateral damage in their fight with the unions.

This is the problem as always with those who are as determined as ever to see matters their own way and put dogma before anything else. What a ridiculous statement.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It might please the locals who every year trot out the mantra that it is a local thing for local people.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
for those of you in London - Services from London Bridge to Littlehampton have cancellations already today.

17:40 cancelled
18:42 cancelled

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
for those of you in London - Services from London Bridge to Littlehampton have cancellations already today.

17:40 cancelled
18:42 cancelled

Excellent will add it to the near £400 in delay repays this year since Jan 16. And that doesn't include fatalities and every single one a genuine claim.

Its like FREE Money :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Excellent will add it to the near £400 in delay repays this year since Jan 16. And that doesn't include fatalities and every single one a genuine claim.

It's not though is it. It's scant recompense for the complete mess it makes of other plans us commuters have and the miserable journeys we have to put up with, and it's only a part-refund of an extortionate fare. I'd much rather have a decent, reliable service than a refund. If I didn't work from home a couple of days a week and travel away regularly and instead had to commute 5 days a week I wouldn't be able to put up with it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Is the right answer. SADLY

Yes, have to agree. People who rely on the service far more than I do, say that the service even prior to the present dispute was not exactly brilliant, and questions really need to be raised about Southern's efficiency. However, that does not make the RMT right - they have been far too quick in the past to opt for disruption in pursuit of their aims, always managing to claim that passenger safety is a priority.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

It's not really as firstly you're paying for it through your ticket and then your tax pays for it, so really you're paying out more than you could ever get back through delay repay

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just to point out that the lies continue - my DOO train from Victoria to Brighton yesterday was announced as cancelled due to a shortage of train crew. As the crew was me and I was there it came as a bit of surprise.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They are striking on the 5th? Am I the only one who finds it a bit backeards that they are striking over passenger "safety" but refuse to run a service to Lewes on the fifth. Wont that cause more safety issues for passengers who have to find other ways of getting there?

Its NOT about safety. Its NEVER been about safety.

Despite all the crap and southern management are sh!tbags but ...

Its ONLY about job protection. If they were more honest I would have more sympathy. But dont dress up your strike in my name re passenger safety. When clearly you couldnt give a shit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It's not really as firstly you're paying for it through your ticket and then your tax pays for it, so really you're paying out more than you could ever get back through delay repay

Dunno about that in a calendar year its over a grand...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
.. I'd much rather have a decent, reliable service than a refund.

well you cant, because history.

Just to point out that the lies continue - my DOO train from Victoria to Brighton yesterday was announced as cancelled due to a shortage of train crew. As the crew was me and I was there it came as a bit of surprise.

so honestly, why would they do that? what is in it for them, there must be more to it than simple cancel a train to piss off the punters and blame... err Southern as its not a strike. and out of interest what do you do next, sit around to take another train, or the train becomes another service?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here