Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lincolnshire school denied top rating for being 'Too White'

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Quite how people think spending half a day in some inner city twice annually might somehow prepare them for your multi cultural world is a little hard to fathom too.

Look if a school has chosen to visit inner cities areas and experience that dynamic, all well and good, should it be a necessary criteria to give an otherwise outstanding performing school its earned status, then absolutely no.

You're right of course, we (and the school in question) should be doing far more to than a couple of visits to help educate the children about other cultures.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having just accessed the OFSTED website and looked at the report for the school, I would say that the telegraph and mail (where else) reports on this are irresponsible and deliberately trying to stir up controversy.

The report, from a quick scan, does not use the expression "too white" (surprise, surprise). In fact if anything it recognises that the school is doing a good job in this general area with the following paragraph, which probably recognises the difficulty of tackling this area in the sort of rural location of the school.

"Pupils’ cultural development is good. They learn about different people’s social and ethnic backgrounds, customs and beliefs. However, opportunities for them to develop a deeper understanding of the nature of modern British society by interacting at first hand with their counterparts from different cultural background beyond the immediate locality are underdeveloped."

So fair play to OFSTED, as this was the third listed of the three weaknesses of the school. and 0/10 for the Telegraph and the Mail for trying to create Bushy's comment of "A Storm in a Teacup". Although readers of those two papers will probably not set great store by the facts of the matter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The inference in this case is that the children of that school are somehow inferior because, through no fault of their own, of where they live (which ironically is pretty close to the definition of racism). There must be a better way of making that point :shrug:
The school has been marked down for the way it is teaching its pupils, it's not the pupils that have been marked down (ie, it is not inferred that the children are inferior).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Quite how people think spending half a day in some inner city twice annually might somehow prepare them for your multi cultural world is a little hard to fathom too.

Look if a school has chosen to visit inner cities areas and experience that dynamic, all well and good, should it be a necessary criteria to give an otherwise outstanding performing school its earned status, then absolutely no.

If you bother to read the report, as I have, it isn't an "otherwise outstanding performing school"

SAC

May 21, 2014
Maybe have to wait until Monday for results, bit like last week's governor story. Never heard anything more.

Very true, will be interesting to see what the truth was there. Trouble is that most people have formed their opinion based on the newspaper headlines and don't want to be bogged down in details like facts.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
the risk is that they'll become racist bigots,.

That is providing an answer to a problem which doesn't exist. .

As a regular visitor to Lincolnshire I can assure you that the risk they will become racist bigots is extraordinarily high. Its a pretty part of the country mysteriously trapped in attitudes most hoped had disappeared after they stopped showing Love Thy Neighbour.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite how people think that preparing children for a multicultural WORLD that they will study in, work in and live in once they leave their village is somehow a bad idea, is a little hard to fathom.

That's literally the definition of ignorance. How can NOT teaching kids about other cultures ever be a good thing?

Quite incredibly really, isn't it?

Please humour us (limp wristed leftie liberals) [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] and explain just how, teaching these kids about life in some mythical exclusively white English utopia, that no longer exists, will be helpful to their development, or their future interactions with the real world?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You're right of course, we (and the school in question) should be doing far more to than a couple of visits to help educate the children about other cultures.

How about the "visit to a mosque" being the culmination of a cross-curriculum, term-long project covering life in the Middle East exploring...

the Geography of the region,
the Climate and how a desert contrasts with the English climate,
the history of Mathematics and the number system we use today,
the prehistoric past of the region and why oil is so abundant and accessible there but not here,
the Crusades and the clash of the Christian and Muslim cultures through history including the significance of the Red Cross in English culture,
finally comparing and contrasting the three main religions and learn why Muslims also revere Jesus.
[MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] and the intolerant folk can consider these sections of the project as...

Draw a map of the Middle East and name all the countries we've invaded in the past few decades,
Why people from hot countries look different,
Arabs... what can we learn from that bunch of savages,
Why is it cost effective to bomb the cr*p out of a sovereign nation for the actions of a loosely connected group of radicals,
Why would Muslims have reason to dislike Westerners. And why is the Red Cross replaced the Red Crescent in parts of the world,
and finally, why these people are SO different, we can't possibly allow them to live in our village!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How about the "visit to a mosque" being the culmination of a cross-curriculum, term-long project covering life in the Middle East exploring...

the Geography of the region,
the Climate and how a desert contrasts with the English climate,
the history of Mathematics and the number system we use today,
the prehistoric past of the region and why oil is so abundant and accessible there but not here,
the Crusades and the clash of the Christian and Muslim cultures through history including the significance of the Red Cross in English culture,
finally comparing and contrasting the three main religions and learn why Muslims also revere Jesus.

[MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] and the intolerant folk can consider these sections of the project as...

Draw a map of the Middle East and name all the countries we've invaded in the past few decades,
Why people from hot countries look different,
Arabs... what can we learn from that bunch of savages,
Why is it cost effective to bomb the cr*p out of a sovereign nation for the actions of a loosely connected group of radicals,
Why would Muslims have reason to dislike Westerners. And why is the Red Cross replaced the Red Crescent in parts of the world,
and finally, why these people are SO different, we can't possibly allow them to live in our village!

I think this should immediately be forwarded to the Department for Education as a majorly important cross-curricular syllabus suggestion.

The only possible omission is that writing was invented in Iraq, but then that may not be considered particularly important in the history of civilisation.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think this should immediately be forwarded to the Department for Education as a majorly important cross-curricular syllabus suggestion.

The only possible omission is that writing was invented in Iraq, but then that may not be considered particularly important in the history of civilisation.

Can I be slightly pedantic? I believe it was Persia, as Iraq didn't exist then, and although they cover a similar region they are not exactly the same (Persia also including parts of Iran). But hat's off for including the English department in our cross-curriculum project, I would have just resorted to "Write a story about..." if I wanted them included!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For an older age group, it would include.... Multiply two Roman Numeral numbers together without converting them. Then try to divide two numbers in Roman Numerals without converting them. Then find anyone of Arabic decent, shake their hand and thank them warmly for making life so much easier than it could have been!

Jan 30, 2008
If you read beyond the headline, you get this from the actual report:

"The report said: "The large majority of pupils are white British. Very few are from other ethnic groups, and currently no pupils speak English as an additional language. The school needs to extend pupils' understanding of the cultural diversity of modern British Society by creating opportunities for them to have first-hand interaction with their counterparts from different backgrounds beyond the immediate vicinity.”"

Which doesn't seem unreasonable, imo. Many of the pupils will live and work in areas of the country where there are more ethnic minorities than reside in the area that their parents have chosen to live in. It's not a bad idea to give them a little exposure to other cultures. If not, the risk is that they'll become racist bigots, which would surely be a dereliction of duty by the school. The report captures this by saying “All schools must teach pupils about fundamental British values including mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. That way they will be prepared for the future wherever they go.”

The school has responded by saying "school trips usually involved visits to the countryside, taking in farms and zoos, but it had recently focused on outings to a mosque and factory."

Seems pretty sensible to me, tbh.
load of spin,out and out racism
regards
DR

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can I be slightly pedantic? I believe it was Persia, as Iraq didn't exist then, and although they cover a similar region they are not exactly the same (Persia also including parts of Iran). But hat's off for including the English department in our cross-curriculum project, I would have just resorted to "Write a story about..." if I wanted them included!

Be as pedantic as you like. I am always happy to accept when I might be factually wrong, and always appreciate the knowledge of others!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Quite incredibly really, isn't it?

Please humour us (limp wristed leftie liberals) [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] and explain just how, teaching these kids about life in some mythical exclusively white English utopia, that no longer exists, will be helpful to their development, or their future interactions with the real world?

Absolutely patronising drivel .....

Of course you encourage all the virtues that are necessary to function within the modern world, but you lot that foist upon, arguably a far more tolerant and less religiously driven or divided community, a set of termly visits to some proclaimed multi cultural centre that we are told might broaden our otherwise flawed predominately white communities is quite frankly offensive.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I grew up in monocultural 1970s' Lancing. Then I moved to London. My generation was the last to be educated without a multiculturalist agenda, yet I had no problems adapting to my new diverse surroundings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here