Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Final, Croatia v France 2018

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Why was the first goal given as an Own Goal?
Griezmann's free kick looked on target, with a minor deflection off Mandzukic head which flighted the ball over the keepers hand. I thought if a shot was on target and then took a deflection before going in, the goal was given to the person shooting still? Much like Perisic goal.....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well done to France. Brilliant world cup, loads of goals, big teams going out early and even England got to a semi and have the golden boot winner too :)

Fair play to Kane but his award feels a bit hollow.
Three penalties, a deflection he knew little about and a tap in from two yards ( I know...he had to be there, in the first place ) The winner v Tunisia was tricky and well taken. He did, however, fade badly in the tournament and seemed to lose a lot of sharpness. We lost an edge through Kane starting to struggle and he missed some clear opportunities.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
France deserved winners. The only teams comparable to them in terms of performance were Belgium, and they managed to see them off. England and Croatia were next best teams after that, so I feel the tournament played itself out justly.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The better side on the day lost. Robbed by an appalling var/ref decision.

After the Croatian reaction after the semi-final(which they deserved to win) especially the ratty little Modric and Lovren I was firmly ABC (Anyone But Croatia) and for me after a great final which capped a superb World Cup France deserved to win. Croatia played well and have some great players but France have better, M’bappe, Varane, Pogba and Kante to name a few. I think they will dominate for next 5 years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It seems that the "experiment" with VAR has been an unmitigated disaster at this World Cup?

Every "iffy" decision has been got totally wrong by the Video Assistant Referee, and have those decisions have cost teams games.
If it is going to be a trusted device to sort out all the controversial decisions, then the officials need more practice with it.
If it is going to be used at Euro 2020, I just hope it doesn't cost us a game if we get through to the latter stages. We shall see!

I'm guessing you haven't watched much of the tournament then!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
They decided the script before the match and stuck with it, despite all evidence to the contrary. They just couldn’t resist the ‘population of 4 million’ angle so didn’t look at HOW it has happened.

France have beaten Argentina, Uruguay and Belgium in their knockout games. That is tough. Croatia have beaten Denmark (on penalties), Russia (on penalties) and England (just). France are on a different level and just as good as Germany were in 2014.

Absolutely. France had the harder route to the final, and then thankfully didn't let a weaker, inferior team do them on the day (Unlike say Wigan when they beat Man City in the FA Cup final). Football was the winner.

The whole tournament has been easily the best World Cup (that I've seen) since 1970 - and that includes 1966. (And it's gone a long way to rekindling my love of the game).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The reason VAR didn't get involved with the cheating Frenchman's dive is that VAR isn't supposed to look at free-kicks. You can dive all you want to, as long as it's not in the box.

Assuming we are talking about the challenge on Griezman that led to the first France goal ???

That was 100% a foul. Granted, from one angle it was hard to spot, but from the best angle it is clear as day that his standing foot is caught heavily. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why was the first goal given as an Own Goal?
Griezmann's free kick looked on target, with a minor deflection off Mandzukic head which flighted the ball over the keepers hand.

You’ve answered you’re own question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No guarantees the keeper would have saved it, had in not come off Mandzukic's head?
I thought the ruling was quite simple, if a shot is on target before it takes a deflection, then it's not an OG?

I thought the referee gives the goal to whoever he sees knocking it into the net , in this case it’s clearly a Croatian player. And the rule you state is only applied if the goal scorer is subsequently questioned. Pretty sure this is what happens in the Prem, might be different in the World Cup though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play to Kane but his award feels a bit hollow.
Three penalties, a deflection he knew little about and a tap in from two yards ( I know...he had to be there, in the first place ) The winner v Tunisia was tricky and well taken. He did, however, fade badly in the tournament and seemed to lose a lot of sharpness. We lost an edge through Kane starting to struggle and he missed some clear opportunities.

I remember seeing a comment about Kane after the last tournament which suggested he doesn’t seem to pace himself optimally for tournaments where you have many games in a short space of time. Hodgson had made the point about how much running etc Kane had done in the opening game and someone commented that’s maybe not a good idea if you want to go far and most of the fancied nations don’t seem to expend much energy in the group stage. Maybe this explains his loss of sharpness?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
VAR helps France but didn't help Sterling when he tried to stay on his feet when he was tripped.

He tried to take a dive but missed the ground.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
France were very worthy winners. Well done

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here