Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing Poll

Would you like to see Safe Standing introduced to the Amex?

• Yes

Votes: 125 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 18.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the matter were. When Paul Barber was interviewed about it, he didn't say he was in support but also didn't say he was against it.
Just an extra note, many people think Liverpool fans are against the idea but this isn't true. On 'The Anfield Wrap', a poll showed that 97% of Liverpool fans were in support of it.

Almost certainly not a scientific poll!

This ship has sailed, the whole point of standing in my opinion was what came with it in the north stand in the 70s and the sense of freedom an rebellion that came with it, I don't want to stand in a little yellow painted area limited to one person, and truth be told nor do most of you, as soon as the game gets shite you'll start slouching and when the beer kicks in you'll want a "little sit down". I'll vote for it all day long but I won't partake. "Safe standing" is one of them terms I hate anyway (a bit like the word "loo" or the phrase "can I get a...." ) it was the unsafeness that we loved and we long for not simply standing on our feet for 90 minutes

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Can we bring back 'knees up mother brown' as well. I used to love that in the north stand.

Ok I might be a bit old for that now but I will watch from a safe distance. (In my seat.)

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If it was introduced as "safe standing" then the capacity wouldn't increase which means either The cost to remove them would be written off or those tickets would cost more to pay for the redesigning of the terraces.

At which point I doubt many supporters would pay extra for a space without a seat, in fact keeping the seat seems more logical as then people could sit if they choose to e.g before kick off and at half time.

I don't see how it would be much different from now except the stewards wouldn't have to mention to certain supporters about sitting, but those rebellious individuals who used to stand throughout because they were being rebellious would now have to find another way to "stick it to the man"

As previously posted, I think we're passed such a stage in football

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it was introduced as "safe standing" then the capacity wouldn't increase which means either The cost to remove them would be written off or those tickets would cost more to pay for the redesigning of the terraces.

At which point I doubt many supporters would pay extra for a space without a seat, in fact keeping the seat seems more logical as then people could sit if they choose to e.g before kick off and at half time.

I don't see how it would be much different from now except the stewards wouldn't have to mention to certain supporters about sitting, but those rebellious individuals who used to stand throughout because they were being rebellious would now have to find another way to "stick it to the man"

As previously posted, I think we're passed such a stage in football

Safe standing designs include seats which fold up.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
But that is to accommodate the requirements for certain competitions, eg European football. When not in use, aren't the seats locked in the up position?

All safe standing does is give you a space that you stand in instead of a seat to sit in. Each space takes up the same amount of space as if there was a seat there and as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says there is a seat there which can be locked in space when needed.

There will be no increase in capacity and if anything an increase in cost per ticket to pay for the changes.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Well it would be reduced but I'm not sure, this was just for opinions rather than details

prices would go up to cover all seat removal, extensive safety railings due to abnormally large steps at present in seating area, extra stewards to prevent standing on the fire exit staircases, tri-weekly additional safety audits and so on etc --it will never happen --fact !

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
All safe standing does is give you a space that you stand in instead of a seat to sit in. Each space takes up the same amount of space as if there was a seat there and as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says there is a seat there which can be locked in space when needed.

There will be no increase in capacity and if anything an increase in cost per ticket to pay for the changes.

This...the purpose of safe standing is so people can stand in an area which isn't overcrowded, you'd still be allocated a space to be in and why would the club remove all the seats to replace them with railings without charging more to cover those costs.

May as well just leave the existing seats there and have a standing section

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would like to see a return of terracing, if it meant you bought a ticket for a stand and not a number in a row in a block. One of the best things about standing, was that you could move about the terrace to join the noisy bunch or find a mate. It meant you never had to spend 90 mins listening to an old lady whinge about sideways passes.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Wouldn't happen in Germany

resizedimage600337-Posh-group-in-AWD-Arena2.jpg

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
You lot really need to read up on this before posting such drivel. Of course there is a cost to removing existing seats but crowd capacity will increase due to the smaller seats that would be put in to comply with UEFA and for concerts etc. So ticket prices will be reduced especially in the long run. Don't forget the existing seats are wider and padded for our comfort you would not need this for other gigs etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A long time ago, the introduction of seats everywhere was part of the civilising process. Ten years ago I felt that bringing back standing would send out the wrong message. But standing is the norm in parts of most grounds today. We were fined about 10 years ago because of persistent standing away at Derby. I don't think that happens now. On balance, despite just having voted 'no' (ahem) I guess it would be good. Apart from anything else, we could squeeze a few more in. North Centre and half the away end. At reduced price based on space used. But personally I wouldn't want to give up my seat. I have a bad back. Even so I quite like standing at gigs. I'm sure I'm not alone in my contrairiness.:rolleyes:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
You lot really need to read up on this before posting such drivel. Of course there is a cost to removing existing seats but crowd capacity will increase due to the smaller seats that would be put in to comply with UEFA and for concerts etc. So ticket prices will be reduced especially in the long run. Don't forget the existing seats are wider and padded for our comfort you would not need this for other gigs etc.

Not according to Paul Barber, the capacity at the Amex cannot increase as the gangways, exits, etc are at the max. So even if we could get more seats in (won't happen) the stadium infrastructure would not be changed so no more seats can be supported. You will get the same room per person as now just a rail seat that can be locked shut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here