Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup.. the Sunday Times..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seems like Michael Calvin of the Sunday Times wasn't too impressed yesterday. Describing our side as 'a glorified reserve team' seems a big exaggeration considering most of the players would step into the Premier League line-up at a moment's notice. Sure, the FA Cup's not what it was, but that's in part down to the cynical tone of coverage like this I'd say....

"So much for the romance of the FA Cup. This had all the allure of a leftover bunch of roses purchased on the cheap from a garage by a desperate suitor on February 15. A glorified reserve team eased Brighton into the quarter- finals of a competition that was once the stuff of legend.

The significance of the 64 places that separate Coventry City and their Premier League opponents was vividly expressed in a match that was dispiritingly one-sided despite Chris Hughton making nine changes to protect first-team regulars for next Saturday’s proverbial relegation six-pointer against Swansea.

That occasion will be everything yesterday’s victory was not — intense, compelling and critical to the club’s short-term future. The Amex crowd might have indulged in clichéd chants about the proximity of Wembley, but the sense of this as a chore, professionally undertaken and completed, was stark. Manchester United await in the last eight."

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Seems like Michael Calvin of the Sunday Times wasn't too impressed yesterday. Describing our side as 'a glorified reserve team' seems a big exaggeration considering most of the players would step into the Premier League line-up at a moment's notice. Sure, the FA Cup's not what it was, but that's in part down to the cynical tone of coverage like this I'd say....

"So much for the romance of the FA Cup. My report had all the allure of a leftover bunch of roses purchased on the cheap from a garage by a desperate suitor on February 15. This glorified hack reported that Brighton eased into the quarter- finals of a competition that was once the stuff of legend

Corrected for you!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why blame any club for being pragmatic.

The FA have done more damage to the FA Cup than any football club, with allowing Mufc to take part in a World club competition in the hope of influencing a failed bid for the World Cup Finals, instead, defending their place as Cup holders.
Allowing the cup competion to be sponsored, like some tawdry ITV celebrity game show, to limiting replays to one per tie, and none at all from the quarter finals onwards, to having penalty shoot outs to decide ties, semi finals at Wembley, the Final at 5.30 on a Saturday, instead of 3.00 o'clock as was the tradition. Having Premier league games on the same day as the final, and all as a money grabbing excercise to pay for their vastly over priced stadium.

The FA have ruined the FA Cup as the foremost domestic Cup competition in the World.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Having Premier league games on the same day as the final

There isn’t any premier league games in FA Cup Final day?[emoji848] Or am I completely mistaken - season ended a good few weeks before the final last season?

EDIT - I just realised - there absolutely isn’t any premier league games on FA Cup Final Day - all final games of the season must be played at the same time on the same day - they wouldn’t risk a premier league game being postponed by doing this. Other than that, I completely agree

#pendant

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
There isn’t any premier league games in FA Cup Final day?[emoji848] Or am I completely mistaken - season ended a good few weeks before the final last season?

EDIT - I just realised - there absolutely isn’t any premier league games on FA Cup Final Day - all final games of the season must be played at the same time on the same day - they wouldn’t risk a premier league game being postponed by doing this. Other than that, I completely agree

#pendant
#pedant

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wouldn't challenge that view. It merely reflects the gulf in standard.

Go back 32 years when we met Peterborough United, who were even lower, they gave us a massive ding dong over two matches. Albion were at full strength too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Journo clearly just looked at previous weeks XI and assumed all those nothin that team are not first teamers.
Bruno, Suttner, Knocky, March, Stephens, Kayal, Ulloa & Locadia (last two WILL be) all regular first teamers. Only 3 players were not first team regulars, hardly a “reserve” team. Maybe that just shows depth in the squad which is no bad thing.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

#pendant

10/11 - 11/12 - 12/13 seasons had premier league games on cup final day. I think Lawro is referring to FA Cup history.

In 2011, Manchester City beat Stoke in the final on the same day as Manchester United won the Premier League.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
10/11 - 11/12 - 12/13 seasons had premier league games on cup final day. I think Lawro is referring to FA Cup history.

In 2011, Manchester City beat Stoke in the final on the same day as Manchester United won the Premier League.

Fair enough - being honest, I don’t care much for the premier league when Brighton aren’t in it, same as I don’t care much for the championship now.

I wasn’t aware, because I didn’t follow it.

Guess I was wrong then [emoji23] yeah fk the FA, also absolutely a rigged draw as well - funny how the big teams were all kept apart.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Why blame any club for being pragmatic.

The FA have done more damage to the FA Cup than any football club, with allowing Mufc to take part in a World club competition in the hope of influencing a failed bid for the World Cup Finals, instead, defending their place as Cup holders.
Allowing the cup competion to be sponsored, like some tawdry ITV celebrity game show, to limiting replays to one per tie, and none at all from the quarter finals onwards, to having penalty shoot outs to decide ties, semi finals at Wembley, the Final at 5.30 on a Saturday, instead of 3.00 o'clock as was the tradition. Having Premier league games on the same day as the final, and all as a money grabbing excercise to pay for their vastly over priced stadium.

The FA have ruined the FA Cup as the foremost domestic Cup competition in the World.

I could have written this. Exactly how I feel.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A crowd of 27,000 would suggest this match was anything but a chore to go to with no allure.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011

"So much for the romance of the FA Cup. This had all the allure of a leftover bunch of roses purchased on the cheap from a garage by a desperate suitor on February 15. A glorified reserve team eased Brighton into the quarter- finals of a competition that was once the stuff of legend.

The significance of the 64 places that separate Coventry City and their Premier League opponents was vividly expressed in a match that was dispiritingly one-sided despite Chris Hughton making nine changes to protect first-team regulars for next Saturday’s proverbial relegation six-pointer against Swansea.

That occasion will be everything yesterday’s victory was not — intense, compelling and critical to the club’s short-term future. The Amex crowd might have indulged in clichéd chants about the proximity of Wembley, but the sense of this as a chore, professionally undertaken and completed, was stark. Manchester United await in the last eight."
Ch put out a side he thought could get the job done. And that's exactly what they did. Journo just spouting bollocks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Yeah, I know they have only done it a couple of times, but once is too many.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"This had all the allure of a leftover bunch of roses purchased on the cheap from a garage by a desperate suitor on February 15."

Tony knows that there's no point spending excessively on flirtations and brief encounters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here