Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should he really be saying this?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you're packing out a 30,000 stadium week in, week out and you've got a catchment area with 1 million people then you have the potential to become a Southampton, and I don't think Southampton would be judged a small club, or held up as small compared with Newcastle.

The reality is that to break through you have to spend a decent period in the top flight. Those 4 seasons in 1979-1983 put us on the map and making sure we're not a one-season wonder will further enhance our reputation.

To misquote simon and Garfunkel: "I'd rather be a Newcastle than a Southampton."

Newcastle have a much more glittering history, and Southampton can only claim to have been a top-flight club for a relatively small number of seasons and haven't won much overall. I hate to say it, but in those terms, Portsmouth are bigger than both of us.

But our ground is near enough the same capacity as the Saints, and if we can get a toehold in the Premier League, I think we could rival them fairly soon.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I've mentioned before that I know seven people who support Newcastle, only three of whom are from the area. I've never met anyone who supports Southampton who's not from there. When Southampton (or Brighton for that matter) attracts supporters from London, High Wycombe, Basingstoke and Luton (which is where my other Geordie-supporting friends are from) then I'll start thinking there as big a club.

If that happens I'm sure the Support Nazis on here will get rid of them by telling them all to piss off and support their local clubs! :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Newcastle have a much more glittering history, and Southampton can only claim to have been a top-flight club for a relatively small number of seasons and haven't won much overall. I hate to say it, but in those terms, Portsmouth are bigger than both of us.

If you go back to 1976 when both Newcastle and Southampton reached Wembley then Saints have spent more seasons in the top flight (32-31), reached more Cup Finals (4-3) and won more Cups (1-0).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To misquote simon and Garfunkel: "I'd rather be a Newcastle than a Southampton."

But our ground is near enough the same capacity as the Saints, and if we can get a toehold in the Premier League, I think we could rival them fairly soon.
Not sure Newcastle have a much more glittering history unless you want to go back to the 1920’s, when they were Champions or there cup wins in the 50’s. Saints have a FA cup win with some losing finals which is probably on a par with Newcastle’s Fairs Cup win and similar defeats at Wembley. Thats since I’ve been watching football that is. They get bigger crowds granted.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why do some people get so wound up that we are not seen as a big club? Does it really matter?

I don’t think people are getting wound up. It’s just chatter and discussion on a football fans site. It would be silly if you did.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

“Glittering history”:facepalm: 3 fa cup wins in the 1950’s is not glittering. A 1 City team in the north and in the 80/90s when they were rubbish would pull in some awful mid week crowds. Don’t believe the hype.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/10/chris-hughton-brighton-much-smaller-club-newcastle-fans-deserve-success-newcastle-united/

This makes me uncomfortable. I know Hughton is right, but it makes us seem irrelevant and that we should be grateful for whatever we get. I find myself strangely irritated that Chris would come out with such a comment...

I don't expect us to win the Champions League but we are not a tiny club either. We have decent support, facilities and a good chairman. Just because we have won nothing in the past doesn't make us small, it maksupportes us poorly run in the past, that's it.

He was up there to help a Boys Club that has produced some of the best players ever to pull on England shirts raise funds and hope that in the future they can continue to do so. He wants the locals to support that Boys Club financially so of course he is going tickle their ears and tell them what everyone in attendance wants to hear.

Slating someone for helping to support young kids break through in football by agreeing to be a guest speaker at their annual dinner, well I have heard it all now - Someone else called it correct in an earlier post by saying he complimented Newcastle but by doing so it almost heaps more pressure on their squad while simultaneously taking some off his own squad and at the same time and also sold tickets for the event by just being there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I hear supporters are desearving more than others I always read it as more needy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you go back to 1976 when both Newcastle and Southampton reached Wembley then Saints have spent more seasons in the top flight (32-31), reached more Cup Finals (4-3) and won more Cups (1-0).

Not sure Newcastle have a much more glittering history unless you want to go back to the 1920’s, when they were Champions or there cup wins in the 50’s. Saints have a FA cup win with some losing finals which is probably on a par with Newcastle’s Fairs Cup win and similar defeats at Wembley. Thats since I’ve been watching football that is. They get bigger crowds granted.

“Glittering history”:facepalm: 3 fa cup wins in the 1950’s is not glittering. A 1 City team in the north and in the 80/90s when they were rubbish would pull in some awful mid week crowds. Don’t believe the hype.

Fair enough. I said "much more glittering". Maybe the "much" was not warranted, but they have done more. And the potential income from a far bigger stadium must stand them in good stead.

Saints have only ever won one major trophy. They are better "established" than us, but if we play our cards right, or continue to be well managed, I can't help thinking we could match them.

HoraceHorrible

Sep 26, 2017
East Grinstead
Standing on the terraces in the 90s I dreamt of us playing in the Premier League, and now we're here we look much more professional than I ever imagined we would. We may look smaller compared to some but we're massive compared to how I thought we'd be.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'd call Southampton a small club compared to Newcastle. The Toon have won more trophies, spent longer in the top flight and have bigger crowds.

I've mentioned before that I know seven people who support Newcastle, only three of whom are from the area. I've never met anyone who supports Southampton who's not from there. When Southampton (or Brighton for that matter) attracts supporters from London, High Wycombe, Basingstoke and Luton (which is where my other Geordie-supporting friends are from) then I'll start thinking there as big a club.

I do believe that there has always been a higher movement of people from the NE to other parts of the country, than from Sussex and Hampshire. We are fortunate that most of us live within reasonable striking distance of London, wages are traditionally slightly higher and job prospects better. Going back many decades to the Depression of the late 20's, if you weren't in mining or shipbuilding, you came South looking for work. That tradition of travel has continued even though the economy in the NE is much more vibrant these days.
I don't know if you travel much but I have met lots of Saints fans from a lot further afield than Hampshire. Likewise with our club, I drive nearly 80 miles to home games and there are Albion fans scattered everywhere. I don't know our fanbase demographic but would hazard a guess that at least 15-20% of our home attendance comes from outside Sussex. I know BHA fans in London, High Wycombe and Basingstoke but not in Luton.
Yes there are a lot of Geordies spread around the place but don't underestimate the location of Saints and BHA fans. 30,000 fans have to come from somewhere and good ol' sleepy Sussex and arty farty Brighton and Hove aren't going to provide all of them ( just joking folks, before you locals get all sensitive )

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Standing on the terraces in the 90s I dreamt of us playing in the Premier League, and now we're here we look much more professional than I ever imagined we would. We may look smaller compared to some but we're massive compared to how I thought we'd be.

Yes, interesting how one's mindset can change over time.
When I started supporting the club in the 60's, it had experienced just one promotion in its history ( 1958 ) and had then dropped two divisions to the basement. Older supporters would recall near misses in the 50's and claim that the club never wanted promotion. That promising situations were deliberately thrown away because the Board couldn't afford to be in a higher division. As an adolescent learning the ways of the world I was always uneasy and slightly perturbed when I heard my elders ( and supposed betters ) claim the club had no ambition and would never amount to anything.
I looked back at the history and saw that regionalised football ( Div's 3 South and North ) only allowed one promoted club from each division. 48 clubs and only two got promoted! No wonder we had some near misses! It was the closest thing to a closed shop you will ever see. From 1946 to 1958 we stayed still and comfortable and local. We wouldn't be relegated and it was bloody difficult to get promoted. We had decent players and a steady manager in Billy Lane. It bred a complacency amongst fans that lingered for a long time. Two things happened in the next 10-12 years that opened my eyes. Bobby Smith and Brian Clough. It showed me that the club were capable of surprises and that if you got an ambitious owner/chairman/board, then things could start to happen. When the Albion were struggling, you could barely get 10,000 in the place. When they were doing well, 25,000-30,000 would rock up. The potential was always there. It had to be uncovered. The right foundations had to be built before the true potential could be realised and that took the best part of another 40 years. It needs driving forces like Mike Bamber and Alan Mullery. It needs good players like Mark Lawrenson, Peter Ward and Bobby Zamora. It needs people who love the club, like Dick Knight and Tony Bloom and finally it needs you, me and everyone else who bleeds blue and white stripes and who are proud of this club.
The biggest clubs now weren't always that big. Chelsea have spent a number of seasons in the 2nd tier and it wasn't that long ago that Man C were in the 3rd tier of football. Liverpool were in the 2nd division when Bill Shankly took over but get the right manager in place, give him your full support and things can happen. Shankly was allowed to build a dynasty by mastering the basics, doing all the simple things right and not getting too far ahead of yourself. Football can bring you down to earth with a bang if you don't put the right foundations in place.
We have those now. Now we can compete at the top end of the game. But always remember, much as the current elite would love to keep driving a wedge between themselves and the rest, it is the whole football pyramid that gives the game its strength, not just the fortunate few, with the most money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its just the way CH is. Whenever interviewed before or after a game we are always playing against a good side with quality individuals who can hurt us.

Being too cautious too respectful playing down our own qualities?

I find it refreshing that we have someone is very grounded and one without a huge ego which can become tiresome

This all day. I am quite happy with his calm undemonstrative and considered demeanour when interviewed. As long as he knows how to handle the squad, the team and individual players, and interact sensibly with the board, I couldn't care less how he describes our bigness or responds to leading questions (like 'how pleased will you be if your team do better than the general expectation' type shit asked by even so-called sensible reporters like that bloke on R5 on Sunday morning; 'how pleased are you that despite being a predictable bore who sounds uninterested in your interviewee, you are still in a job?')

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair enough. I said "much more glittering". Maybe the "much" was not warranted, but they have done more. And the potential income from a far bigger stadium must stand them in good stead.

Saints have only ever won one major trophy. They are better "established" than us, but if we play our cards right, or continue to be well managed, I can't help thinking we could match them.

Don't back down! Not sure why some seem to pick a date to start history just to suit their argument, it's almost like the tv presenters thinking there was nothing before 1992! Like it or not, Newcastle are a far bigger club than Southampton in pretty much every aspect. They've won the league, more cups than Soton, won in Europe and more recently have at least competed in the Champions League. They have larger stadium and fill it regularly and probably have more overseas fans than Soton!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"He says Newcastle fans ‘deserve success’".

More than us? At our expense?

That's the only thing in the article that I could take issue with. Not really sure why he should be concerning himself with what he believes fans of other clubs "deserve".

Maybe a different way to think about that is he was perhaps pointedly saying the fans deserve success, but not their fat clown of an owner. They (the fans anyway) still love him up there and most seem to think Ashley was wrong to get rid of him - I don't have any problem with CH saying what he said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here