Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Arsenal (a)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It is funny how opinions differ, isn't it? I thought he had his best Premier League game for us yesterday yet there seems to be a lot of criticism for him on this thread. He gave the ball away a couple of times (but less than in previous times) and at least once took it straight back off Sanchez. I feel he and Propper are really developing together. My only concern is if one of them gets injured.

Quoted wrong post

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There was still some utter twonk shouting at him for losing it amidst him winning it back shortly after. Also thought he played well but expected the usual ratings.

I heard similar comments. The best one was he was a waste of money, which considering he cost less than £1 million and he has already played a key role in us winning promotion to the Premier League (and the money we get for that) is complete rubbish.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As someone else mentioned, he is bottom 14 quality which is enough for us. He is not suddenly going to turn into a Kante or a Xavi when we come up against the MEGA SIX.

Which brings me onto rating our players when facing these teams. Are people being completely relative game by game when rating, or are you rating based on the enormous gulf in quality when facing these teams? For example a "did ok considering.." attitude would yield better scores than "he hardly touched the ball, he was shite".

Agree on this. I think it especially applies to attacking players. They will obviously have less impact in the final third in games like yesterday than Newcastle home, for example. That means other aspects of the game are vitally important e.g. how hard they work, putting in tackles and pressuring defenders. I think a lot of people ignore that for many attacking players and just focus on their impact in the game, which is harsh in games like yesterday.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am a little puzzled with Ryans kicking as I am sure that I read when he came to us that his distribution was one of his strong points.

Think the issue is he is being asked to aim at the same place each time with Hemed before and now Brown out wide. Think we should try to vary it a bit although we lack a lot of height up front.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
At the game - 6 is average

Ryan 7.5 - not looked at replay but wonder if he could have done better with second goal. His kicking is very poor and adds to issues/does not optimise possession. Some cracking saves though.

Bruno 6.5 - not sure why people said he was weak, some mistakes but everyone makes mistakes,
Dunk 8 usual impressive performance. Yes there is a mistake in him but he covers so much ground, would like to see him come forward more often with ball at feet.
Duffy 7 - usual good game solid defender but as good on the ball as Dunk
Bong 5.5 - surprised to see him picked, stronger physical presence than Sutner but not confident on the ball. Better towards end but all too late

Stephens 6 - some great bits and some not so great
Propper 6.5 - wish he had played the whole game like he did the last 15
Izquierdo 5.5 - not sure putting him and Bong on same side was a good idea, need to pick him out with passes so we can break with speed
March 7.5 - very bright, hard worker, nearly scored inter action with Bruno was good. 4th name on team sheet after Dunk, Duffy and Bruno

Gross 6.5 - if we want to get the best from him we need players in the box and him feeding them
Brown 5.5 - difficult game for him

Subs:
Knockaert 6 looked lively when came on but not enough time
Schelloto 6 - should have come on for Brown not March , very strong, has pace/energy to surge forward, good in the air (based on Bournemouth cup game) . I think he might have given their centre halves a challenge. Not sure what his finishing is like.
Murray 6.5 unfortunate not to score with header.

We are not confident enough as a team which is going to hold us back, there was a point where Arsenal were there to be taken in the first half and we missed it. These top 6 teams can be beaten....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan is decent with his kicking, we were just totally ridiculously spoilt with Stockdales kicking.

Ryan as BG also said can kick with either, not many out field players can do that....

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Wow! That's as close as I can remember as far as my agreeing with anyone's numbers! - I thought Duffy and Dunk were both 7's - Dunk scared me on a couple of occasions, but otherwise solid. Felt sorry for Izzy - but even when he got the ball, he didn't instill any confidence. Surprised Bong got the vote, but he did ok.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It is funny how opinions differ, isn't it? I thought he had his best Premier League game for us yesterday yet there seems to be a lot of criticism for him on this thread. He gave the ball away a couple of times (but less than in previous times) and at least once took it straight back off Sanchez. I feel he and Propper are really developing together. My only concern is if one of them gets injured.

Think the prem is a little too sharp for him at the moment IMO. Hopefully he can adjust and become an established CM. As for propper, would rather see him in an attacking role.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not at all because Lacazette and Sanchez are dangerous around the penalty box so by defending further up the field we may have restricted them getting into the box so often. Dunk and Duffy operating outside of the box with the 2 banks of four would have achieved this. Our problems may then have come from out wide but that is another scenario for us to have faced.which we would have dealt with as it happened.

Wouldn't have said our problems were from our wide particularly. Seemed very central to me, when Sanchez runs wide to centre generally, see great Ryan save.

Similarly the second was caused by a clever back heel and us not picking a runner.

Dunk and Duffy looked good in the air and blocking, but uncomfortable when the ball was passed around at pace near their feet. Similarly both Propper and Stephens were played round at times and when they finally got the ball quickly gave it away. Did either of them win a 50/50?

For me Arsenal was all about shape and denying them space behind the two CBs, to that point the whole team were excellent in the main.

So pushing forward 5 or 10 yds would have left us more open IMO, and we would have lost by more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Actually (unusually) don't agree with you on this, he wasn't poor or anything like that but just average imo.

His passing wasn't great for me and tackling non existent as he concentrated on shape.

That said, he's up against Arsenal...... blooming Arsenal! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here