Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3G pitches

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Well from what I've been told. I believe the finance is not in place but I understand that won't be an issue it's just taken longer than expected to resolve.

The bigger issue is the 12m of land they want to extend the width of the pitch by. The main pitch is owned by the playing fields authority (or whatever its called) and the pitch in front of the club house is owned by the council. So the club has had to find a similar sized bit of land to swap. Which i understand they have done but the planning process has been a pain in the backside. I'm not sure if that is resolved yet but I'm guessing by the lack of work possibly not. I also know the alderbrook residents are starting to make a bit of noise as they've realised the clubs plans for usage which I can only think is going to hold things up even further.

Can't speak about the junior side and lack of resources myself but I do know from the AGM the main backers promised to put in a lot more money than they actually did. What they did put in was a still a considerable sum but only about 65% of what was promised so I'm not surprised there are gaps in the funding.

I'll believe it when I see it!
I would add as an Alderbrook Resident myself I have not heard any "noise" (doesn't mean there hasn't been any - just not heard anything)
Huge mistake not to keep the pitch in good condition just in case the 3G was not ready. They will lose bucket loads of money having to groundshare and loose a lot of supporters as well

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'll believe it when I see it!

To be honest so will I. It always sounded too good to be true and it looks like that may be the case.

I would add as an Alderbrook Resident myself I have not heard any "noise" (doesn't mean there hasn't been any - just not heard anything)

Oh. I was told by a resident it was a large part of the last residents association meeting.

Huge mistake not to keep the pitch in good condition just in case the 3G was not ready. They will lose bucket loads of money having to groundshare and loose a lot of supporters as well

Yes I agree but the club kept banging the drum all summer that the work on the pitch would be starting soon so they must have believed that. Ground sharing with a conference club won't be cheap. Then you've got the loss of revenue from a match day. The bar took £25k last year a bit of that would have been from private parties and the carnival but the majority of that I would guess must come from a match day.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If I were a player at a club that had a 3G pitch I'd be concerned about potential health risks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...being-ripped-up-in-holland-over-health-fears/

"In June, the English FA referred laboratory study results that it had commissioned into the specific rubber crumb to be used on the pitches built under the new hubs programme to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The FA is satisfied that its rubber crumb passes all safety requirements, the regulation of which is the responsibility of Defra and the HSE"

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
"In June, the English FA referred laboratory study results that it had commissioned into the specific rubber crumb to be used on the pitches built under the new hubs programme to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The FA is satisfied that its rubber crumb passes all safety requirements, the regulation of which is the responsibility of Defra and the HSE"

The FA may be satisfied but, the fact is a lot of other places aren't. There are studies that show carcinogenic properties in the rubber. The fact that there are a large number of people who have used these pitches regularly that have developed cancer. The fact other countries are taking precautions. All of that worries me. I wouldn't be happy if I was a player who had to use one week in week out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/calls-ban-3g-pitches-grow-7644092

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here